Naughton - penalty/red card

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Was the penalty award correct? Was the red card award correct?

• No to both

Votes: 11 6.2%
  • Yes to both

Votes: 31 17.4%
  • Penalty, but no red card

Votes: 136 76.4%

• Total voters
Is it not possible that the linesman said into his mic "it wasn't going over, so if you can see that it wasn't going wide, it's a red card"?

Foy was stood outside of the penalty area past the opposite post - he couldn't even see the incident through a) Naughton's body and b) about 10 other players in his way.

One thing I would add is that Foy's willingness to send off Collins makes me think that he thought it was harsh once he'd either looked at a replay at half time or spoken to the 4th official.

I don't know about the Lamela foul, but Collins definitely deserved a card for the body block on Adebayor.

If I remember correctly we had two straight reds rescinded last season. If this one is rescinded that has got to be some kind of record.

Can we get a mutha effin stats man up in this shihizzo?

This is where it becomes subjective, hence why I say the rule is a crock of shit. What's unnatural to 1 ref isn't unnatural to another, so many blurred lines in the game today. If you turn your back on the ball (or at least go in side on), then you will move your hands to an unnatural position. Because the rules are what they are, I can see why he was given a red but it's bullshit imo. It's bullshit because it's not really clear cut is it? Getting the card rescinded, or upheld provides no further clarity for me.

I totally agree with your comments, but not when applying them to this example - his arms were *so* far extended that it was clearly not a regular position to be in unless trying to make yourself big.

This is where it becomes subjective, hence why I say the rule is a crock of shit. What's unnatural to 1 ref isn't unnatural to another, so many blurred lines in the game today. If you turn your back on the ball (or at least go in side on), then you will move your hands to an unnatural position. Because the rules are what they are, I can see why he was given a red but it's bullshit imo. It's bullshit because it's not really clear cut is it? Getting the card rescinded, or upheld provides no further clarity for me.
What's the alternative? With so many possibilities, interpretation will always be a part of the game as far as I see it. Not every incident is that black and white.

Foy was stood outside of the penalty area past the opposite post - he couldn't even see the incident through a) Naughton's body and b) about 10 other players in his way.
He didn't need to see through Naughton's body - his arms were above his head!

The fact that there is so much disagreement in this thread, 2 days after the game, and with footage heavily studied over and over again - would suggest that this was a very difficult decision to give in the blink of an eye.

So can we really begrudge the referee for making the decision he felt was correct at the time? It's clearly not a simple mistake he's made. It's a very tough decision, even now!!

I'm not a fan of Foy, but I don't think he can be blamed on this occasion.

What's the alternative? With so many possibilities, interpretation will always be a part of the game as far as I see it. Not every incident is that black and white.
The alternative is to stop fucking around with the rules and add some clarity, in the penalty area, most challenges will be fairly last-ditch, so, a challenge like Naughton's would be fairly normal, a penalty is fine, but a straight red is excessive imo.

As I said initially, rules are rules, but I will always think (in this case) that it's shite.

I totally agree with your comments, but not when applying them to this example - his arms were *so* far extended that it was clearly not a regular position to be in unless trying to make yourself big.
He was trying to get the ball, not make himself big.

Decision? Naughtons only decision was to challenge Nolan and try to win the ball..which is a good decision, he was just unfortunate in what happened.
He put both of his hands above his head, three yards away from his goal line - how is that not a stupid decision? He knows fully well what the consequences of doing so would be

The alternative is to stop fucking around with the rules and add some clarity, in the penalty area, most challenges will be fairly last-ditch, so, a challenge like Naughton's would be fairly normal, a penalty is fine, but a straight red is excessive imo.

As I said initially, rules are rules, but I will always think (in this case) that it's shite.
So what would stop someone abusing the rules and deliberately handling the ball/preventing a goal? This would be treated the same as, say, a corner being cleared and a long shot taken, the ball hits a hand on the way through? A handball is a handball, regardless? ALL handballs are yellow cards regardless of the position or context of the situation?

You say add clarity, but I still don't get what the ultimate solution is?

I don't disagree with you that the interpretation of rules can differ from game to game, but in my eyes that's football I'm afraid. I don't see a way around it.

I'm assuming that defenders get trained regularly on how to react on a shot so Naughton should know better. Either way, It's a bit ridiculous in general where that type of incident turns a 0-0 game into a team getting a PK and 11 v 10 for 60+ minutes. Seemed pretty unintentional for me with Naughton's head turned. A PK for sure, a YC for Naughton and 11 v 11 seemed like the much more sensible decision with this specific incident.

He put both of his hands above his head, three yards away from his goal line - how is that not a stupid decision? He knows fully well what the consequences of doing so would be
Come on, you've played football. In the space of a few seconds the ball has been swung into the box, deflected out and then knocked back in through a mass of bodies. Naughton is just trying to work out where the ball is then suddenly Nolan is in front of him swinging his foot through the ball. The absolute last thing on his mind is the position of his arms.

Maybe to the letter of the law the red card was justified but to ruin the game and give one team a double whammy, it just defies common sense.

He definitely had his arms up, but one could argue they were up to protect his face/ body on some level. A normal reaction sometimes, granted a professional defender should know better.

Come on, you've played football. In the space of a few seconds the ball has been swung into the box, deflected out and then knocked back in through a mass of bodies. Naughton is just trying to work out where the ball is then suddenly Nolan is in front of him swinging his foot through the ball. The absolute last thing on his mind is the position of his arms.

Maybe to the letter of the law the red card was justified but to ruin the game and give one team a double whammy, it just defies common sense.
I've played and continue to play football, and I'm a defender by trade. If I want to stay on the pitch, I want to keep my arms down when I'm in my own box! You do consciously think about doing so, otherwise you're going to concede a penalty at the very least

I can't defend him unfortunately, he let his team down

So what would stop someone abusing the rules and deliberately handling the ball/preventing a goal? This would be treated the same as, say, a corner being cleared and a long shot taken, the ball hits a hand on the way through? A handball is a handball, regardless? ALL handballs are yellow cards regardless of the position or context of the situation?

You say add clarity, but I still don't get what the ultimate solution is?

I don't disagree with you that the interpretation of rules can differ from game to game, but in my eyes that's football I'm afraid. I don't see a way around it.
Are all handballs all over the pitch a straight yellow regardless of how it comes about? If that's the case then fair enough.

I think you know I wasn't advocating deliberate handballs.

Maybe to the letter of the law the red card was justified butto ruin the game and give one team a double whammy, it just defies common sense.

This is why they practice situations over and over and over again so it becomes a natural reaction. It's why you see defenders coming out to close defenders with their arms literally behind their backs for the avoidance of doubt. Although I realise this situation is different, his natural reflex was to raise his hands (to protect his face or to help him block a shot).

Do we have confirmation that we have made an official appeal?

I am genuinely interested to see which way the FA panel will call it.

Back
Top Bottom