Never had it so good

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

The bloke was right though, we should be grateful. The teams around us, down to tenth, are much better than us. We're lucky, really.

I even heard 'redknapp, give us a wave' today, all be it from the section were the away fans should be, so they weren't regulars. Also when he did wave, it was only that section that clapped back, the rest of the park lane was still. And i heard 'steve kean for England.'

:defoe:

HarryHotspur said:
I even heard 'redknapp, give us a wave' today, all be it from the section were the away fans should be, so they weren't regulars. Also when he did wave, it was only that section that clapped back, the rest of the park lane was still. And i heard 'steve kean for England.'

:defoe:

I was in block 35 and one guy kept trying to start 'Harry Redknapp's Blue and White Army' but nobody joined in.

The 'Steve Kean for England' was in jest with the Blackburn fans as they were chanting 'you don't know what you're doing' at him.

Whilst I don't agree that 'we have never had it so good' there has been progress in the last few seasons. However, this began under Jol, not Redknapp, and I think it has also been largely down to our owners and board.

89/90 we finished 3rd, but between then our 5th place finish under Jol our position have been...

2004/2005 9th
2003/2004 14th
2002/2003 10th
2001/2002 9th
2000/2001 12th
1999/2000 10th
1998/1999 11th
1997/1998 14th
1996/1997 10th
1995/1996 8th
1994/1995 7th
1993/1994 15th
1992/1993 8th
1991/1992 15th
1990/1991 11th

And since
2011/2012 6th-3rd?
2010/2011 5th
2009/2010 4th
2008/2009 8th
2007/2008 11th
2006/2007 5th
2005/2006 5th

8th and 11th was obviously the Ramos blip - (but even then we won the League Cup)

ENIC took ownership in 2001, and given a few years to get the finances in order and learn some lessons, I would argue that progress has been made.

The problem is that the get rich quick clubs have distorted perceptions with almost instant success - Man City were in League 1 within the memory of most fans. Chelsea before the buy out had won a few FA cups and the league once... then instant success.

I just want us to fulfil our potential, and given that most of the best clubs in the world would take Bale, Modric and Walker and put them in their starting 11's and would also look seriously at Kaboul, Ekotto, Parker, Rafa, Sandro and Adebayor then it's surely not too much to expect to win a few games in the second half of the season......

Blanchflower said:
I just want us to fulfil our potential, and given that most of the best clubs in the world would take Bale, Modric and Walker and put them in their starting 11's and would also look seriously at Kaboul, Ekotto, Parker, Rafa, Sandro and Adebayor then it's surely not too much to expect to win a few games in the second half of the season......

very well said, too true...

I know there's a bit of a divide over Harry, and whilst many - myself included - wishes he wouldn't KEEP mentioning it, he DOES have a point about us 'only' being a mediocre mid-table team' ...we WERE!!

For nigh on 15 years (1991-2005) our average position over that exact period was 10.8... if THAT isn't the epitome of a mid-table club in a 20-Club league, then I dunno what does (well, 10th, obviously!!)

But you get the point, we HAVE improved vastly in the past 7 years, partly down to Redknapp, partly Jol, and almost ALL down to the board actually starting to get it right (the manner of Jol's sacking being their only major cock-up... not 'cos of the decision, just the way it was done) But that aside, I don't see the problem with where we're heading, and HOW we're doing it, ie; steady progress with a sensible approach, rather than a "throw money at it quick fix" that could break just as quickly the moment the money stops being thrown at it!

I'd rather he didn't drive that point home like it's ALL down to him. He's done a great job but he's a limited manager.

I don't think he does drive it home that it was all down to him. He's obviously proud of the job he's done here and fair digs to him for it.

I think Harry gets an awfully hard time from many fans

Back
Top Bottom