Never had it so good

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Thelonious said:
I'd rather he didn't drive that point home like it's ALL down to him...

Me neither... the 6 hour round trip to Sandbanks must be tiring him out... and there's only SO many times you can play 'I Spy' with Kevin Bond!
"I spy wiv my little eye, summit beginning wiv 'triffic"

Shit. Hit send by accident.

As soon as Harry was named manager, a lot of fans called for stability after years of chopping and changing. You couldn't get much more stable than (what's gonna be three) top 5 finishes in a row. He's right. We've never had it so good. We've never had as good a team as this in the Premier League. Harry has his faults but so does everyone. You think Mourinho would be 'Mr Tottenham' or any less egotistical than Harry?

Thelonious said:
How many points did we have when he came here? :harrysmile:

Technically wasn't it 5 points from 9 games? 'Arry was there versus Bolton but he wasn't in charge, am I right?

Then again, 5 points 9 games isn't as catchy is it 'Arry? :harrysmile: Bit like 1 win in 10 from last year. :harryblow:

TheSprocketMan said:

As soon as Harry was named manager, a lot of fans called for stability after years of chopping and changing. You couldn't get much more stable than (what's gonna be three) top 5 finishes in a row. He's right. We've never had it so good. We've never had as good a team as this in the Premier League. Harry has his faults but so does everyone. You think Mourinho would be 'Mr Tottenham' or any less egotistical than Harry?
I don't recall Mourinho ever declaring "when I joined Chelsea, they'd won no league titles".

I'm not calling for his head or anything, just voicing my annoyance at comments he's made in the past. We haven't had a team this good in the PL era, he's done a good job but as I said earlier, it's not all down to him. Redknapp is staying for another year which would mark 5 seasons at the helm, that's more than enough stability.

Ever since its been confirmed that Harry wont be getting the England job, our results have improved. No doubt good for the players to see some stability again.

We need to get behind Harry again, like we did when times were good.

People talk about the love of the shirt, and for mine that includes all people in it, or associated with it...

You can love the shirt as a symbol and the club as an institution but that doesn't mean you should blindly and unquestioningly love individuals, because when they are to the detriment of our glorious club (e.g. Hossam Ghaly) then I want them disassociated with it.

I think people would get behind 'Arry again if results improve (obviously), decent signings are made, and if he stops tactlessly insulting us with his insufferable gob. But for me the damage has been done. I can get behind the team, but get behind 'Arry? Sorry, all I can promise is to revert my current hatred back to its former healthy indifference.

Thelonious said:
TheSprocketMan said:

I don't recall Mourinho ever declaring "when I joined Chelsea, they'd won no league titles".

I'm not calling for his head or anything, just voicing my annoyance at comments he's made in the past. We haven't had a team this good in the PL era, he's done a good job but as I said earlier, it's not all down to him. Redknapp is staying for another year which would mark 5 seasons at the helm, that's more than enough stability.

Keeping a manager for 5 seasons and moving them on isn't stability in my eyes. An oft used example is that it took Fergie 4 years to win anything with United. It certainly isn't stability when the fans are looking for any excuse to get rid of the manager based on a few things he said in the media or whatever.

Harry, by his own admission, isn't a tactical manager. Perhaps he needs a more tactically minded assistant.

Redknapp won't be at Spurs for that long, he's coming to the end of his managerial career, 3 more years tops. Redknapp isn't a likeable character, wasn't exactly popular before he arrived.

Are you suggesting we give Redknapp the job until he decides he doesn't want it anymore? I can't see him accepting another assistant, he walked out of Pompey when they brought in a DOF didn't he?

It's important to separate the criticism of Redknapp into three sections; self serving manager who is happy to take the plaudits but refuses responsibility when the shit hits the fan; Redknapp the manager, who, of course, has done much better than we could have hoped for but is still tactically inept/naive/stubborn, which has contributed greatly to our recent struggles; His comments about the fans and club. These are often thoughtless and said without necessity. Supporters will always vent their emotions, football is an emotional game that thrives on the immediate, he should understand that slagging those off who 'pay the wages' is a terrible thing to do.

But...

No one (I don't think) hasn't appreciated where we are now compared to where we were. I also think that the grumbling has been kept largely among ourselves whilst the support at the ground and away has remained, mostly, pretty good. It has been difficult watching inexplicable performances but we reserve the right to make noises when tactics that clearly aren't working are continuously used or players not rested when clear to most people that rotation is required.

I would still like a fresh start next season; I don't see us going any further under this regime.

Yeah, I would let him keep the job until he decides to retire, resign or if the team stops producing results for an unacceptable period of time.

I understand Harry's ''appy go lucky, del boy' persona can became irritating. However, Mourinho annoys the fuck out of me with his arrogance and occasional bursts of craziness, yet, I would welcome him to the club with open arms. In fact, if you think about it, most football managers are prats.

And there is no way I would want another DOF. Disaster waiting to happen.

Dannyboy said:
It's important to separate the criticism of Redknapp into three sections; self serving manager who is happy to take the plaudits but refuses responsibility when the shit hits the fan; Redknapp the manager, who, of course, has done much better than we could have hoped for but is still tactically inept/naive/stubborn, which has contributed greatly to our recent struggles; His comments about the fans and club. These are often thoughtless and said without necessity. Supporters will always vent their emotions, football is an emotional game that thrives on the immediate, he should understand that slagging those off who 'pay the wages' is a terrible thing to do.

But...

No one (I don't think) hasn't appreciated where we are now compared to where we were. I also think that the grumbling has been kept largely among ourselves whilst the support at the ground and away has remained, mostly, pretty good. It has been difficult watching inexplicable performances but we reserve the right to make noises when tactics that clearly aren't working are continuously used or players not rested when clear to most people that rotation is required.

I would still like a fresh start next season; I don't see us going any further under this regime.

We've had far too many 'fresh starts' at this club. Look how far that has got us. The grass isn't always greener, and all that...

In regards to your point about criticising Harry. Most managers these days are self serving. As are footballers. I'm sorry but that's modern football.

Harry's isn't a tactical manager, which does work against him at times. However, there are some managers that rely far too heavily on tactics which can have just as negative effect...does a certain Mr Ramos ring a bell? I agree one extreme is as bad as the next but I think Harry can find a balance quite well...at times.

And some of his comments about the fans and club have been unfortunate. However, like you said, football is an emotional game and sometimes you react to things in a way you wouldn't if you had time to think about it. Harry has said a lot of good things about this club and I appreciate that.

Let me ask you if you think under Redknapp we can challenge for the league title or win a cup?

I don't see it as he makes poor choices and doesn't display the tactical (you need more than just a little luck and play 4-4-2 as a Plan B - or even Plan A!) nous for the long haul.

Of course we have had fresh starts but those have been when things have been shit, we are on the cusp of achieving here and a manager away from realising that.

Why are we a manager away from achieving it? Why not a player? Or couple of players? Just like it wasn't all down to Harry that things are the way they are now, it isn't just down to him whether or not we can compete for the league. Dalglish won the League with Blackburn, was it because he was a brilliant manager and/or tactician? I think the latest shambles at LFC would answer that question for you.

Do you think Brendan Rodgers would win us a league or trophy? Martinez? Moyes? Because thats our options at the minute.

And to answer your question. Yes, I do.

Dannyboy said:
Let me ask you if you think under Redknapp we can challenge for the league title or win a cup?

Well, he won the FA Cup with Portsmouth...

Yeah, he's tactically limited so the league title isn't going to happen but there's no reason to think we can't win a cup here and there.

The reason I don't think it is a player(s) issue is because I don't believe Redknapp will buy the right players. For whatever reason, with us, his transfers have ranged from the mental to the okay. Kaboul is probably his best signing. And, we have the players who could have sustained a title challenge this year but Redknapp, for whatever reason, saw fit to change the formation, shoe horning players into positions that made no sense. When this proved innappropriate, he continued to do it. He didn't play Bale and van der Vaart against Man Utd but both were fit to play two days later against Stevenage! He chose to play 4-4-2 in games which were painfully obvious it wouldn't work, then claimed he knew it wouldn't (Norwich) before later (QPR) claiming if he had the personnel he would have gone 4-4-2.

These are a few reasons why I don't think we'll win the league under Redknapp...or be in the running come April/May...I suppose a cup is a little hit and miss but with 13 minutes remaining against Chelsea we were 2-1 down, he changed it to 4-4-2 and we lost 5-1, that was a great chance to get to the final but he hoisted the white flag with 15 minutes to go....tactics might not win you everything but, fuck me, they can lose you a whole lot.

I hope I am wrong.

I think our options may be better next year for a replacement, the fact Mourinho may be available has to be a huge factor in all this.

Thelonious said:
I think our options may be better next year for a replacement, the fact Mourinho may be available has to be a huge factor in all this.

This.

I agree, I don't think bringing in Rogers or Martinez at this stage would make any sense. They would both need time and as I mentioned before certain players would definitely leave.

We've always said that the next managerial change we make is going to be massive. It's got to be done right. I trust Levy on this, I think he's learnt a lot in the last few years. The next manager has to be a clear step up from Harry. Right now there isn't one available IMO.

Back
Top Bottom