New Manager Poll

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Who would be your pick as new manager?

• Laudrup

Votes: 33 13.1%
  • Klinsmann

Votes: 21 8.4%
  • Capello

Votes: 42 16.7%
  • Hoddle

Votes: 23 9.2%
  • Redknapp

Votes: 8 3.2%
  • Luis Enrique

Votes: 2 0.8%
  • Sherwood/Freund combo

Votes: 6 2.4%
  • Another PL manager

Votes: 9 3.6%
  • Hiddink

Votes: 49 19.5%
  • Anyone else

Votes: 58 23.1%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
I wouldnt be so bold as to claim I know much about them at all. Salah I know looks good, stood out for them - off of the top of my head I couldnt name any others. I didnt even know their coaches name until I read it.

He isnt one that fills me with anticipation, was just following on from the comparison to AVB/his work at Porto.

These are the players that I can name off the top of my head...

No.PositionPlayer
1GKYann Sommer
4DFPhilipp Degen
5DFArlind Ajeti
7MFDavid Degen
8MFSerey Die
9FWMarco Streller (Captain)
10MFMatías Delgado
13DFIvan Ivanov
14FWValentin Stocker
15DFKay Voser
16DFFabian Schär
17MFEndogan Adili
18GKGermano Vailati
19DFBehrang Safari
No.PositionPlayer
20MFFabian Frei
21MFMarcelo Díaz
22FWMohamed Salah
23GKMirko Salvi
24FWPak Kwang-Ryong
26DFGastón Sauro
27DFNaser Aliji
28MFStephan Andrist
30FWGiovanni Sio
32FWAdmir Seferagić
33MFMohamed Elneny
34MFTaulant Xhaka
35DFFabian Ritter

:llorisserious:

And how many people can honestly name 3 or more of their players?
My reservation being that they are a workrate are and teamwork side, with little flair. Like Wimbledon or the Greece side that won the euro's. Probably don't lose 5-0 at home too often though..........

Stocker, Salah, Safari.

Stocker and Salah the two stand out players. Safari is from my country. Big whoop wanna fight about it!?

I'm living in Switzerland on uni placement and from what I've seen of Basel there quite a counter-attacking team, with high tempo. That's based off of a few games, but quietly impressed. A lot of media coverage surrounding the manager and spurs as well

*Anyone else; 56 vote(s) 23.0%
...just wondering if this 'Any Juan Else' guy is any good?? He seems to be pretty popular in the polls... Where's he from, Europe?? and what's his previous managerial record??

Stocker, Salah, Safari.

Stocker and Salah the two stand out players. Safari is from my country. Big whoop wanna fight about it!?
loud clapping!
not many people though, the point being its a team made up of non household name players

go you though!
:)

I'm not decrying them BTW, they do well and make good use of the talent at their disposal. Not something that THFC can claim at the moment.

loud clapping!
not many people though, the point being its a team made up of non household name players

go you though!
:)

I'm not decrying them BTW, they do well and make good use of the talent at their disposal. Not something that THFC can claim at the moment.

I can agree to a certain point. Basel are a lot more attacking than that Greece team ever was though.
I remember the game against The Czech Republic in the Semi-final where they didn't do anything until the last minute where they managed to get a corner and then scored it. Baffling.

I can agree to a certain point. Basel are a lot more attacking than that Greece team ever was though.
I remember the game against The Czech Republic in the Semi-final where they didn't do anything until the last minute where they managed to get a corner and then scored it. Baffling.
It wasn't meant to be a direct comparison - the Greek team was the best example of making a silk purse out of a sows ear. The attempted analogy was around the "greater than the sum of their parts" principle, ie no big stars but a great teamwork and effort side.
Maybe the Wimbledon thing was closer in terms of aggressive intent, if not the application of it.

Think we need someone monumental to take us over atm to appease the fans, I'm genuinely lost. We had at our disposal an admittedly stubborn but undoubtedly talented manager, let him buy a team and then sacked him after some disgusting looking results. AVB was sometimes irritatingly glued to his method of playing football, which is no bad thing if you have the personnel, personally I think his reliance on the high line was his ultimate downfall, Michael Dawson and high line go together like turps and flan or (insert celebrity paedophile) and a primary school. Dawson is not a bad player but fuck me it is painful to see him scamper backward helplessly, especially without Jan next to him. Other than that the fact that our guaranteed goalscorer didn't score goals and our lack of quality back up at left back left us needy, and losing the best player in the league and being one point worse off than last year and now he's gone. We have a squad that isn't fully gelled in the current system needing to start from scratch again. A fantastic squad nevertheless. I have lost faith in the board atm. We will never knowif given ttime AVB would of succeeded but im 100% he would of. Im just hoping our next manager is given time and isn't another fucking stop gap. I've faith in Laudrup, but thats a sideways step. Fuck knows:avbfacepalm:

Premier League experience so knows the league. Doing very well in Norway with his team so obviously isn't a COMPLETE idiot when it comes to football management. Young, lot's of potential. Kind of AVB-esque if you think about it. Could be a diamond in the rough.

How is Lucien Favre doing these days? I really liked the sound of him and his style before we went for AVB, but Monchengladbach seem to be doing really well this season so he's probably too difficult to pry away. Basel fans online are saying Yakin is too defensive with a team with far greater resources than anyone else in the league, which would probably strike him out with us.

Whoever it is, if they seem to be working towards some philosophy and we buy into that philosophy, then we need to actually stick with them for once even through the rough patches. We can't just keep drastically switching styles and dumping out players every single time we fire a manager. We don't need to pin all our hopes on one guy, but we need to do what Swansea have done and that's figure out our ethos, build through that ethos, and choose our managers under that ethos rather than desperately hope for a Wenger or SAF through a shitload of trial and error.

Back
Top Bottom