New Manager Poll

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Who would be your pick as new manager?

• Laudrup

Votes: 33 13.1%
  • Klinsmann

Votes: 21 8.4%
  • Capello

Votes: 42 16.7%
  • Hoddle

Votes: 23 9.2%
  • Redknapp

Votes: 8 3.2%
  • Luis Enrique

Votes: 2 0.8%
  • Sherwood/Freund combo

Votes: 6 2.4%
  • Another PL manager

Votes: 9 3.6%
  • Hiddink

Votes: 49 19.5%
  • Anyone else

Votes: 58 23.1%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Di Matteo... The replacement for the replacement for the replacement for Mourinho... Didn't they bore their way to the end of the season and bodge the ECL?

Mancini .. Very much doubt he'd leave Galatasaray after just a few weeks in? Has got a PL trophy on his CV I guess?

Yakin ... Christian Gross anyone? That's just my feeling. It's like recommending Lennon because he manages a team which have won their league for years on the trot...?

Ha fair enough,
WHERE ,S MY SMILEY:D:);):thumbup::windy:

WHERE ,S MY SMILEY:D:);):thumbup::windy:

i44_0.jpg

That's depressing:
Just looked at the Managerial odds. Juergen Klopp is 66/1 to be our next manager (too low in all honesty).
But he is 8/1 to be next Woolwich manager!

Originally Klopp was the only one I would've considered to be an improvement but I agree with the 66/1 unfortunately. Capello has the most impressive CV after that. It is a long wait till the summer though.

For me he is not a manager, he is a caretaker which is a very different thing. Hence I have different expectations/demands/call it what you will.

A caretaker is by definition short term, and about nothing more than getting some results over a few games. Its a short and simple job. Its not about radical change of the team and system, its just about changing enough to get a result. Most often, generally speaking (and look around at others, youll know what I mean) keep it tight, keep it simple. Take the best bits of what the prior manager did and work with it.

Its not about rebuilding the engine, its about topping up the fuel and cleaning the plugs to keep it running...

When a full time manager comes in it is up to him to assess and change the system as he sees fit, thats HIS job. Not the caretakers.

So what did I see of Sherwood?

1 days preparation. Good sense would dictate "keep it simple" and dont change to much. Spurs have been well set up to control games (a few obvious exceptions) and have struggled to score. Take the good, work with the bad - perhaps drop the highline to create space for the forward players? (something AVB was widely credited for doing a few matches ago).

Or, throw away 18+ months of work and try to implement an entirely new system? Yes, he chose the second option. I think our "football man" did the most obviously wrong thing he could have, and did, IMO, completely overstep the boundaries of his role (or at least all good common sense associated with it.)

Secondly "I know a way to play" he says, which suggests what we saw against West Ham, what he threw away AVBs work to try and achieve in a day was in evidence that night. Which was, wide open, weak, ineffective and about 15 years out of date. Sigurdsson in CM in a 442? Really?! It was obvious from the team sheet it was a shit selection and formation. And despite all the excitement of people watching the first 20 minutes what actually happened?
West Ham sat back, we ran at them as invited, we did not make their keeper work once in our best spell of the game, we ran out of ideas and from there on it just got worse (in the end Lloris was by far the busier keeper, so much for our supposed improvement in attack). Im not sure AVB would have won the game, but for me the result was a foregone conclusion at 7.30 when I saw the sheet, I believe AVB wouldnt have been so easily undone.

Thats the problem I have with him. I believe he made fundamental mistakes, which suggest he is not the man to do any sort of job for us in a management capacity. Had he lost by being sensible, logical, I would be very supportive of him. Had he shown some nous, I would be very supportive of him. As it is, I dont think he could have got it any more wrong, hence my "dismissing" of him after one game.

I want a proper manager in ASAP.

Of course, tomorrow I also want nothing more than for Sherwood to get it absolutely spot on and shove my words down my throat. If he wins, Spurs win, we win.

An excellent summation Lister. Shame people like sammytroll can't offer anything remotely similar on the flip side of the arguement. I'd genuinly like to hear from people who say "give him more than 90 minutes ffs" yet can't put two sentences together explaining what they saw in the 90 minutes itself which was positive outside of the first 20 minutes in which we accomplished what exactly?

Also notice how NOBODY has offered a counter-arguement to any part of your post.

I love how every single one of the managers on the bookies boards for the job odds are drifting. Even Sherwood. I really don't think we're close to any resolution. So sad.

An excellent summation Lister. Shame people like sammytroll can't offer anything remotely similar on the flip side of the arguement. I'd genuinly like to hear from people who say "give him more than 90 minutes ffs" yet can't put two sentences together explaining what they saw in the 90 minutes itself which was positive outside of the first 20 minutes in which we accomplished what exactly?

Also notice how NOBODY has offered a counter-arguement to any part of your post.

There's only so many times you can ask someone why they think its ok to judge someones entire future on one game (their only ever game) with a squad decimated by injuries and suspensions in a non priority match where it was important to rest certain players.

"Sherwood is a caretaker" is not an answer.

Still waiting for one, so no reason to counter that post.

Last edited:
I'm surprised Bielsa is such long odds, aside from Klopp I think he'd be the best manager for you.
I actually fancy Bielsa quite a bit. His crazy 3313 formation (or something like that) is pretty fun to watch. I mean they call him Loco Bielsa for crying out loud. His lack of English probably doesn't make him a good fit for Spurs though.

van gaal certainly has the leadership and father mentality needed in our dressing room

however he is 1) managing netherlands at the world cup and 2) is quite mental. not sure how he and levy would get on.

Van Gaal has won domestic and European trophies at Ajax, AZ Alkmaar, Bayern Munich and Barcelona

This is the kind of track record we should be looking at. If there is any chance of bringing in a manager with this kind of CV we should take it. Not convinced he would want the job at all though, sadly - strong character who doesnt take shit from anyone, and theres a lot of shit-flinging at Spurs

Back
Top Bottom