New Stadium

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

It's needless, but understandable from a commercial point of view (that's not me endorsing it, by the way!). Not particularly surprising though, given the Stadium naming rights and Woolwich having done the same thing before.

Interesting that we're hearing about it now - possibility that the club are trying to announce it while the fanbase is in a feelgood mood?
Yeah, but a guy on SSC said that London Transport were going to rename it without any consultation with the club, he said something like North London was mooted...the club them asked if Tottenham Hotspur would be a better suggestion and then were told that would be fine....£12M please...

It's needless, but understandable from a commercial point of view (that's not me endorsing it, by the way!). Not particularly surprising though, given the Stadium naming rights and Woolwich having done the same thing before.

Interesting that we're hearing about it now - possibility that the club are trying to announce it while the fanbase is in a feelgood mood?
That Woolwich did it doesn't mean we should. As my mother use to say.

"if your brother jumped in the Lake would you"

"yes mum I would can I go now"

Yeah, but a guy on SSC said that London Transport were going to rename it without any consultation with the club, he said something like North London was mooted...the club them asked if Tottenham Hotspur would be a better suggestion and then were told that would be fine....£12M please...

Sounds plausible - Tfl essentially trying to start their own naming rights auction.

That Woolwich did it doesn't mean we should.
Agreed, but Woolwich did it for a reason though IMHO.
To convince a newly arrived immigrant population (mainly Irish) that they were a local club.
I don't need to tell you that with the Irish and their own sports(GAA),it's not who you support,it's where you're from.
We don't need to convince anyone we are local,We ARE local.

That would be utterly ridiculous. North Tottenham would make sense but you can't call a little station in Tottenham 'North London'.

TFL have been playing too much Pro Evo.

Found in the comments to this video on facebook...
udjW0eM.jpg

SSC are all:lamelashock:...

Not a fan of naming rights, let alone renaming local stations. Just because the scum did it doesn't mean we have to. The club is not the be all and end of all local culture and history.

At least I can see some commercial argument for the naming rights, but the station is bullshit IMO.

It would be a shame. Be honestly at this point I feel like there are bigger battles to fight and far worse things going on in the world to really care too much about changing the station name. I'd prefer it to stay as whl. But Leone cry if it gets changed to the name of the club I love.

If they were going to rename the station anyway then I can understand why it's been done. Would be a bit strange to have a station called WHL when there is no WHL too.

Take a look at @standardnews's Tweet:

I think this will get a lot of resistance and completely unnecessary. Cue petitions and a row with the fan base.

They can call the stadium what they like but the fans will still call it white Hart lane. It just an expensive grab at wiping the slate clean to allow a sponsor to rename the ground. The club is doing a lot right but is on a losing ticket here.

Fuck that shit.

Keep the name for heritage reasons, and donate the £12m quids to social projects in the local area.

Commercial PR managing-whatever scumbags.

Take a look at @standardnews's Tweet:

I think this will get a lot of resistance and completely unnecessary. Cue petitions and a row with the fan base.

They can call the stadium what they like but the fans will still call it white Hart lane. It just an expensive grab at wiping the slate clean to allow a sponsor to rename the ground. The club is doing a lot right but is on a losing ticket here.

It really is a terrible idea. Better to hang on to that money and use it when Kane asks for a huge new contract in a few years.

It's either going to be called North Tottenham or Tottenham Hotspur.

White Hart Lane isn't an option for TfL apparently, in that case I would prefer our club name tbh.

If they were going to rename the station anyway then I can understand why it's been done. Would be a bit strange to have a station called WHL when there is no WHL too.
The station is on White Hart Lane, hence the name. It would still make perfect sense.

Last edited:
The station is on White Hart Lane, hence the name. It would still make perfect sense.
The stadion entrance will be further south thus I'm not sure it will be on White Hart Lane (the street), but it would still make sense because of the historic value.

Back
Top Bottom