Next Manager Poll (poll reset 11/04/23)

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Next Manager

• Rodgers

Votes: 14 3.3%
  • Potter

Votes: 25 6.0%
  • Nagelsmann

Votes: 177 42.1%
  • Kompany

Votes: 43 10.2%
  • Slot

Votes: 91 21.7%
  • Postecoglou

Votes: 73 17.4%
  • De Zerbi

Votes: 31 7.4%
  • Xabi Alonso

Votes: 11 2.6%
  • Stellini

Votes: 4 1.0%
  • Frank

Votes: 10 2.4%
  • Luis Enrique

Votes: 21 5.0%
  • Zidane

Votes: 5 1.2%
  • Glasner

Votes: 3 0.7%
  • Amorim

Votes: 10 2.4%
  • Carrick

Votes: 9 2.1%
  • Gallardo

Votes: 23 5.5%
  • Schmidt

Votes: 2 0.5%

• Total voters
Both are certainly better than what we have now.

I think you're underselling Nagelsmann a little bit though. He's achieved all he had achieved by the age of 35.

Poch hadn't even hit management by that age.

Nagelsmann took Hoffenheim from 7 points from safety to Champions League within a year at the age of 29. Then went and took Leipzig to the knockout stages of the Champions League for the first time in their career where he got them to a semi final. Only 3 managers in Bayern Munichs history have a better win percentage than him..

Poch did wonders here. And we'll always love him for what he did over those four or so years.

Poch and Naglesmann are actually quite similar .
1 massively overachieved with smaller and medium clubs. Saints/Hoffenheim & Spurs/Lepzig

2 developed and worked with younger players

3 stylish football with some degree of tactical flexibility although Naglesmann is a bit mroe flexible than Poch

4 football that is possessions based with a degree of pressing although not quite Klopp level.

5 maybe struggled a bit with big egos at PSG and Bayern but did both win 3 trophies a piece so certainly not a failure unless of course success is measured in CL titles.

Naglesmann back in his RB days always came across as the German Pochettino. I would take either at this point.

Forget the elite manager or up and coming manager arguement. It’s about the fit, Naglesmann to me fits Tottenham, Tuchel, Luis Enrique etc don’t.

I don't think it would influence Nagelsmanns decisions per se.... But if it raises us for 10 games and gets us into champions league...... Then Nagelsmann and Champions league would be better than Nagelsmann without champs league.

It would surely give him a bit more cash to splash?
It would influence the boards decision of keeping them...

Yeah his high press, all action from the front style is perfect for Son and Kane. Two hard working beasts. The stylish PEH is also perfect for his preferred 6, the Danish Goretska. Pirlo’esq
Do you honestly think Levy cares whether a coach is compatible with the squad? Or even the clubs objectives

Both are certainly better than what we have now.

I think you're underselling Nagelsmann a little bit though. He's achieved all he had achieved by the age of 35.

Poch hadn't even hit management by that age.

Nagelsmann took Hoffenheim from 7 points from safety to Champions League within a year at the age of 29. Then went and took Leipzig to the knockout stages of the Champions League for the first time in their career where he got them to a semi final. Only 3 managers in Bayern Munichs history have a better win percentage than him..

Poch did wonders here. And we'll always love him for what he did over those four or so years.

But he's also the manager who has the second worst win percentage at PSG since they got taken over and lost a league title in Ligue 1.

I'm not saying Nagelsmann doesn't have huge potential. What he's done at 35 is silly ... but in the here and now he isn't a better coach than Pochettino imo. And what each man has achieved shows that.

Nagelsmann is also the only coach to make the Bundesliga competitive. To be 2nd at this point for Bayern is unprecedented, he may have a high win % but so did AVB, context matters. Pochettino took Spurs (!!!!) to a CL final, and to our record PL points tally of 86, losing only 4 league games. He made top 4 an afterthought for us.

I'm not against Nagelsmann - he'd be a breath of fresh hair compared to the fuddy-duddy coaches we've had lately. But I'd also love Poch to be back & think he'd do an even better job if given another chance.

It's got more chance of being replicated than we have of being successful with almost any other manager out there.

I know Nagelsmann is sexy and new n' all but nothing he's done in his career so far is as impressive as what Poch has achieved. They both managed 2nd tier clubs but one got to a final and the other a semi, and one was competitive in the Prem and the other the Bundesliga. Both didn't really work out at an elite club.

But people want something 'new' I guess.. Poch's CV is strongwer.
Well, Poch isn't new. He's the same generation as Conte and Enrique with 15 years of management behind him. Of course, his CV is better and I'd be amazed if we bettered the 2014 build under anyone, but is a patient build under a 50 something realistic?

Well, Poch isn't new. He's the same generation as Conte and Enrique with 15 years of management behind him. Of course, his CV is better and I'd be amazed if we bettered the 2014 build under anyone, but is a patient build under a 50 something realistic?

It's not about age. Guardiola is 52 but his ideas are at the forefront of football. The way Pochettino wants us to play is more in line with the demands of modern football/modern footballers, imo. Conte & Jose are more old-school in their approach. Enrique not so much but I just straight up don't rate him at all.

50 something is hardly old for a coach.

Enrique was bad at Roma. He had a 40% win rate. The guy before him (Montella) was sacked after less than 4 months with a 44% win rate. The guy after him (Zemen) had a 50% win rate. Only two Roma managers since 2005 have had a less than 50% win rate and he is one of them. He has the worst record of any Roma manager in the last 18 years.

Enrique is not a great coach. He is able to get good results from outrageously talented squads but Barcelona is the only real success in his career. And that’s like Zidane at Madrid - more about people management than improving players and tactical intelligence.

I'm not saying Nagelsmann doesn't have huge potential. What he's done at 35 is silly ... but in the here and now he isn't a better coach than Pochettino imo. And what each man has achieved shows that.

Nagelsmann is also the only coach to make the Bundesliga competitive. To be 2nd at this point for Bayern is unprecedented, he may have a high win % but so did AVB, context matters. Pochettino took Spurs (!!!!) to a CL final, and to our record PL points tally of 86, losing only 4 league games. He made top 4 an afterthought for us.

I'm not against Nagelsmann - he'd be a breath of fresh hair compared to the fuddy-duddy coaches we've had lately. But I'd also love Poch to be back & think he'd do an even better job if given another chance.
too early for poch i feel

Will actually be quite annoyed if by next season neither Naglesmann or Poch aren’t sat in the hot seat. Good managers but most importantly fit us.

If the club wants an out of contract manager then the alternatives of them are Gallardo and Luis Enrique who each have their risks.

It's got more chance of being replicated than we have of being successful with almost any other manager out there.

I know Nagelsmann is sexy and new n' all but nothing he's done in his career so far is as impressive as what Poch has achieved. They both managed 2nd tier clubs but one got to a final and the other a semi, and one was competitive in the Prem and the other the Bundesliga. Both didn't really work out at an elite club.

But people want something 'new' I guess.. Poch's CV is stronger.
I wouldn't be upset if we got poch back, but I would prefer Nagelsmann mainly due to the fact we have so many players still here from poch era all those on loan to come back too. It ended very sour for whatever reason and half of that squad is still here.

Fresh start for me with an excellent young coach who wants to play the game on front foot, improves his players, is tactically innovative and adaptable. Who could work within enics capacity.

Im tired of all these miserable hard done by managers we've recently had with their shit negative energy.

I haven't been this sure about a manager since we was being linked with poch.

Poch and Naglesmann are actually quite similar .
1 massively overachieved with smaller and medium clubs. Saints/Hoffenheim & Spurs/Lepzig

2 developed and worked with younger players

3 stylish football with some degree of tactical flexibility although Naglesmann is a bit mroe flexible than Poch

4 football that is possessions based with a degree of pressing although not quite Klopp level.

5 maybe struggled a bit with big egos at PSG and Bayern but did both win 3 trophies a piece so certainly not a failure unless of course success is measured in CL titles.

Naglesmann back in his RB days always came across as the German Pochettino. I would take either at this point.

Forget the elite manager or up and coming manager arguement. It’s about the fit, Naglesmann to me fits Tottenham, Tuchel, Luis Enrique etc don’t.
I think a lot depends on whether he really buys into Spurs. Is he excited by the challenge of trying to upset the likes of City and Chelsea with fewer resources? Or does he see us just as the best available option for now, hoping a super club comes calling at some point. Like Poch, he's had a taste of that now, his ego got a little bigger, and I'd be surprised if he didn't want more of it.

There are comparisons with Poch, but maybe the ideal time to get Nagelsman was after Leipzig, not after Bayern. Same with Poch, it remains to be seen if 'stepping down' from managing the likes of Messi, Mbappe and Neymar he'd have the same belief that he could build a winning team as he once did.

We need someone who really believes they can win, even with Levy. Mourinho, Conte... these guys say it can't be done. Maybe that will appeal to Nagelsman - to succeed where they failed. If so, I'm all in. If he has doubts or reservations, better to look elsewhere.

Poch hasn't really shown good coaching though for about 4+ years.

Getting either in would be a gamble. But based on history and the fact most of the time the second time is never as good as the first, I'd lean towards the one who's 15 years younger and accomplished just as much.

But Pochettino is also the only coach in the last 5 seasons and one of two coaches in the last 10 years to not win a Ligue 1 when manager of PSG and that's a much easier league to win than the Bundesliga as well as having one of their lowest win percentages over that same period.

He did a great job at Spurs. No ones disputing that.

I'd be happy with either just because of what has been served up over the last 4 years but I am leaning more towards Nagelsmann as something fresh.

Poch hasn't really shown good coaching though for about 4+ years.

Getting either in would be a gamble. But based on history and the fact most of the time the second time is never as good as the first, I'd lean towards the one who's 15 years younger and accomplished just as much.

But Pochettino is also the only coach in the last 5 seasons and one of two coaches in the last 10 years to not win a Ligue 1 when manager of PSG and that's a much easier league to win than the Bundesliga as well as having one of their lowest win percentages over that same period.

He did a great job at Spurs. No ones disputing that.

I'd be happy with either just because of what has been served up over the last 4 years but I am leaning more towards Nagelsmann as something fresh.

I would say the last 6 months at Spurs where a bigger mark than PSG.

Poch took over a team Tuchel had in 3rd place and finished 2nd. So if it’s a mark against Poch it is also a mark against Tuchel’s performance. Truth is no PSG manager is ever successful. Galtier will probably be sacked come end of season, they look like a bunch of individuals. Massive egos with the manager second to the players. It’s a joke of club, it wants to win the CL but won’t let the manager run the team, team is run by the players.

Poch’s mental collapse along with the team in his final season is where Poch needs to learn lessons, not as big as the lessons our clubs needs to learn in regards to backing and supporting managers but lessons still.

I would say the last 6 months at Spurs where a bigger mark than PSG.

Poch took over a team Tuchel had in 3rd place and finished 2nd. So if it’s a mark against Poch it is also a mark against Tuchel’s performance. Truth is no PSG manager is ever successful. Galtier will probably be sacked come end of season, they look like a bunch of individuals. Massive egos with the manager second to the players. It’s a joke of club, it wants to win the CL but won’t let the manager run the team, team is run by the players.

Poch’s mental collapse along with the team in his final season is where Poch needs to learn lessons, not as big as the lessons our clubs needs to learn in regards to backing and supporting managers but lessons still.

Mate, Pochettino had PSG in first place.. The title was in his hands. With a team packed full of absolute superstars.

And he couldn't get it done when the pressure was on.

The following year, he added Messi to his team and they won the league at a canter under absolutely no pressure whatsoever.

Mate, Pochettino had PSG in first place.. The title was in his hands. With a team packed full of absolute superstars.

And he couldn't get it done when the pressure was on.

The following year, he added Messi to his team and they won the league at a canter under absolutely no pressure whatsoever.

Again Tuchel had them in 3rd, it’s not as easy a job as people pretend when your players run the club. Your cannot impose your ideas, hence why PSG always fuck the CL, they are never the sum of their parts. Poch won 3 trophies but he didn’t get the one they wanted, the CL and Galtier will fail on that as well. Everyone is a fail at PSG.

Again Tuchel had them in 3rd, it’s not as easy a job as people pretend when your players run the club. Your cannot impose your ideas, hence why PSG always fuck the CL, they are never the sum of their parts. Poch won 3 trophies but he didn’t get the one they wanted, the CL and Galtier will fail on that as well. Everyone is a fail at PSG.

No, I have no doubts it's a poisened chalice. And Champions League is all they truly care about.

But Pochettino still has that mark against his name of being a manager who had a league title in his hands in a one team league and couldn't win it.

‘A fucking monkey could win the league with the old firm’

Well one doesn’t win it every season, and that’s true of Barca/Real in Spain and Bayern in Germany too? The cut throat of nature of being in a Celtic/Rangers title race where 2nd is last is at the very least comparable with managing a relegation battler in my opinion. You’ve literally walked yourself into an argument without me trying to retort against it. I’ve said multiple times he’s not my choice. Strange behaviour. What went wrong to you in Brisbane that you have such a vendetta?
I don't have a vendetta, Brisbane and Australia are great and i loved my time there! Great place and great people!! Rugby league was awesome, as was the union. Weather was crap in the summer with humidity and the spiders can be annoying. Football was terrible it's that simple. As for Scotland lived there to for a while, know Scottish football, and know what a joke it is. Statistically if you are the manager of rangers or Celtic for more than a season you will win a trophy, if for more than 2 years and you will win the league. That's not pressure. As for the turds who support them, well trust me nobody listens to them. Again you can not compare the German Spanish French Italian dutch Portuguese or English leagues to Scotland. They have competition, even when it's galaticos or Peps Barca. It's not the wins you look at but the level of competition both on and off the pitch.

Back
Top Bottom