Next Manager Poll (poll reset 11/04/23)

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Next Manager

• Rodgers

Votes: 14 3.3%
  • Potter

Votes: 25 6.0%
  • Nagelsmann

Votes: 177 42.1%
  • Kompany

Votes: 43 10.2%
  • Slot

Votes: 91 21.7%
  • Postecoglou

Votes: 73 17.4%
  • De Zerbi

Votes: 31 7.4%
  • Xabi Alonso

Votes: 11 2.6%
  • Stellini

Votes: 4 1.0%
  • Frank

Votes: 10 2.4%
  • Luis Enrique

Votes: 21 5.0%
  • Zidane

Votes: 5 1.2%
  • Glasner

Votes: 3 0.7%
  • Amorim

Votes: 10 2.4%
  • Carrick

Votes: 9 2.1%
  • Gallardo

Votes: 23 5.5%
  • Schmidt

Votes: 2 0.5%

• Total voters
People saw Woolwich finish eighth twice and now think that being shit is a requirement in a rebuild.

Every single team is different.
Woolwich at least backed their manager with some decent signings and let him cut some others loose . Levy doesn't do that signs players that don't work out then keeps them nobody wants them he then thinks another manager will get a tune out of them .A very familiar story with us unfortunately.

With regard to your first paragraph, we might not make the decisions, but we certainly influence them. You've claimed often enough that were more an entertainment franchise than a Football Club, so what happens when the punters voice their displeasure at the "entertainment" by roundly booing the team off regularly? Every manager we've had has been goonered because the fans weren't happy with what they were seeing, apart from Jol.
You'd have to be deluded to think that fan unrest doesn't put enormous pressure on Levy to make a change.

Insofar as your second paragraph is concerned, please stop making out that your suppositions are fact. You have no idea of the technical ability of our players, as they haven't had the opportunity to display it. We have what I believe are technical players, who've been pressganged into playing a style that really doesn't suit them. We've shown, in brief spells, that we can crack open a team with some intricate interplay. We have players who have demonstrated this with previous teams or internationally. Brighton are a brilliant example of how players, when coached to play technical Football, can be better than the sum of their parts. Christ, even Wellbeck is flourishing there like he never did at any other club he played for.

Top professionals ALL have that technical ability, some more than others, but they all have the capability to play pass and move, one touch Football, they coach that at youth level FFS!
I'm not suggesting that we don't need signings, that had nothing to do with the point I was making, which was that we have players who I believe are a lot more technically proficient than we've seen, they just need a coach to give them the platform.

Do I think it'll be enough for where we want to be? Not a chance, but it's not going to happen overnight, which is what many seem to expect. Old guard out, fresh, hungry talent in that fits the vision.

Redknapp & Pochettino weren't "goonered" - these were Levy choices. Conte was sacked because he spoke out as well. Levy is even MORE impatient than the fans and trigger happy, but you aim the patience line primarily at the fans? Yes this is an entertainment business but Levy has shown contempt for the fans before & lied to our faces, even if they are behind a coach if he thinks money is on the line he will make decisions. Levy doesn't need pressure from fans to make changes.

I have eyes. I watch footballers who take far too many touches and too long to distribute. There's a limit to what coaching can achieve, you aren't making a ball playing goalkeeper out of Forster, or playing sexy football with Dier and Sanchez. We've simply not got that many press resistant, highly technical footballers. These players stand out a mile away, even in non sexy sides.

Yeah and then the level goes up in the Premier League and they have to play pass & move under enormous pressure from teams of highly coached athletes who set pressing traps. A lot of our players just don't have the physical or technical attributes to consistently avoid the press. People overrate coaches, put Pep in charge and he'll order a clear-out tomorrow, because these players can't do what he wants. Very few of these players deserve the platform - Porro, Kane, Son, Bissouma, Bentancur & maybe Udogie are some of the handful I view as genuinely competent or high potential footballers.

What is the 'vision' ??? I'm not seeing one. And we will struggle to sell a lot of our crap anyway, so its never as easy as it seems. Slot will get "time" until European football looks unlikely and then Levy will start seeing panic signs over two years in a row outside of Europe and sack him.

Is that Paddy McGuinness?

Let the Irish buckaroo see the cabin crew!

tumblr_inline_oskbalMm3s1rqmo24_500.gifv
The lady second left has a very good chance with Brendan...allegedly. 🤨

Good post, well balanced, but I'd go slightly further, or off on a bit of a different tack...

I don't think our squad is half as bad as many think. The likes of Zomb who reckon that three-quarters of our players are utter shitcunts and should all be shipped out sharpish.

I think they are shot to bits in terms of confidence and self-esteem. I'd be interested to see what a good man manager could do with the popular scapegoats like Dier, Sánchez, PEH and so forth. With those underachieving - Son, Perisic, Kulu and so on. Even our misfits out on loan...

Convince somebody to buy them, hopefully.

You'd have to be deluded to think that fan unrest doesn't put enormous pressure on Levy to make a change
No one is saying that. We think it’s stupid for the board to not stand behind their plan because of fickle fans. We also think it’s stupid for fans to get more of the blame than the people who actually get paid to make those important decisions.

Redknapp & Pochettino weren't "goonered" - these were Levy choices. Conte was sacked because he spoke out as well. Levy is even MORE impatient than the fans and trigger happy, but you aim the patience line primarily at the fans? Yes this is an entertainment business but Levy has shown contempt for the fans before & lied to our faces, even if they are behind a coach if he thinks money is on the line he will make decisions. Levy doesn't need pressure from fans to make changes.

I have eyes. I watch footballers who take far too many touches and too long to distribute. There's a limit to what coaching can achieve, you aren't making a ball playing goalkeeper out of Forster, or playing sexy football with Dier and Sanchez. We've simply not got that many press resistant, highly technical footballers. These players stand out a mile away, even in non sexy sides.

Yeah and then the level goes up in the Premier League and they have to play pass & move under enormous pressure from teams of highly coached athletes who set pressing traps. A lot of our players just don't have the physical or technical attributes to consistently avoid the press. People overrate coaches, put Pep in charge and he'll order a clear-out tomorrow, because these players can't do what he wants. Very few of these players deserve the platform - Porro, Kane, Son, Bissouma, Bentancur & maybe Udogie are some of the handful I view as genuinely competent or high potential footballers.

What is the 'vision' ??? I'm not seeing one. And we will struggle to sell a lot of our crap anyway, so its never as easy as it seems. Slot will get "time" until European football looks unlikely and then Levy will start seeing panic signs over two years in a row outside of Europe and sack him.
I know a lot of the fanbase are sold on this fella, but it is very much a gamble on someone who has had one decent season in another league
The Dutch league, is like the Scottish one, only a couple of teams in it, the premier league is, far more difficult, with a number of good teams in a very competitive league.
If he comes in, then we wish him well, but I doubt he will be here very long.

I know a lot of the fanbase are sold on this fella, but it is very much a gamble on someone who has had one decent season in another league
The Dutch league, is like the Scottish one, only a couple of teams in it, the premier league is, far more difficult, with a number of good teams in a very competitive league.

Would you prefer someone who's won loads of trophies instead?

He's had 3 good seasons by the way. He's been managing for 4 years.

Flavour of the month De Zerbi hasn't even won anything in his career yet people are lauding him now, Brighton took a risk and it paid off, sometimes you gotta take these risks.

Back
Top Bottom