Online 1882?

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Over the last few years the whole message board experience has deteriorated dramatically (for me).

Where once there was a vibrant environment where views could be exchanged and discussed there is now a McDonalds "I want it now" culture where people demand instant gratification.

There is also in many this bizarre sense that once a snap (or any) judgement is made, they would rather see the club fail just to prove themselves right than see the club succeed and eat humble pie.

Most recently this manifests itself in those that were Redknapp devotees never having the time of day for AVB.

Like him or not, I dont really care, but he is manager of our wonderful club and its his job to see us succeed. Which is all any of us should be bothered about.

Which is why we should support him. And yet there is a fair portion on here (and others) willing him to fail for the sole reason of an "I told you so!". That and a spiteful "See what happens when you sack the wonderful Harry...." to follow.

It happens with players as well, of course. My point is that this phenomenon happens more and more and more, which is to the detriment of all.

I long for the days of disagreeing with someone, thrashing it out through the course of a thread and coming out the other side feeling that I have participated in something worth while (so far as football forums go!). Sometimes my mind would be turned, how satisfying is that? I will have learnt something. Sometimes my mind would be set more than ever, but thanks to a strong examination of my views I now have more convinction in what I thought.

Isnt that the point of these places? And isnt that something that is dying a death?

I joined up with this place having defected from another because it seemed to me there was a much better vibe here, and that people were much more interested in supporting the club than winning on the internet.

The last few days have dented that view. It may be that I am just being a bit sensitive, it may be that element has always been there and I just havent seen it.

I left another forum because that element took over the whole place, I joined here because it was better.

Given the fantastic 1882 movement generated here, an example to all fans in my view, should we not also try the same sort of support and positivity on the forum?

Im not talking about blind agreement with everything the club does or anything like that, just actual support.

Take AVB, like him or loathe him, agree with him joining or disagree with Harry leaving, he is now our manager.

If another clubs fans were slagging off their new manager after 11 league games people here would be rightly wetting themselves at their fickle nature. Particularly if said manager had the team well placed, had them above their rivals and had won at Old Trafford - despite a slew of injuries robbing him of his best side. Despite him taking a job with and unusually high amount of pressure (particularly in the media, and particularly because he replaced a successful predecessor).

The project, we are told, is a long term one. Can it be judged after 11 games? Should we not get behind the manager and team and show the sort of support to be an example to other clubs?

These days "online" matters. Its a huge tool in managing or influencing how fans view and interact with their clubs. We are given more information that ever before, we crave it. Clubs monitor sites, look at that psycho Liverpool comms guy tracking down an ITK this summer.

So it is my plea for TheFightingCock to extend the fantastic in ground example it sets to the forum itself, to use it as a tool of positivity for the clubs best interest. To try and keep the fans onside, supporting, willing the team on - to stop keyboard warriors (says me, with the stupidly long and lecturing post, have you even read this far?! :roflmao: )
and to actively be a huge part of the project (I hate that term!)

What say you?

Awaits inevitable backlash :confused:

Don't let the bastards grind you down, the good thing about a forum is that you can ignore the arseholes who don't agree with you.

Forums are where people usually come to vent their frustrations so they're always going to seem negative.

:D

Its not even the negativity that bothers me. A genuine complaint about a perfornance or change is there to be discussed. Its the negative agendaising (is that a word?) that bothers me.

Forums used to be the realm of the fans with a keen interest, now they are a huge public tool. Im just pointing out, given the desire on here to improve support, we could use this place for the betterment of our fanbase.

Obviously barking up the wrong tree :roflmao:

My one and only problem with AVB is that whenever he talks, he sounds like he has chronic indigestion!

Other than that, I have no real beef with him... perhaps a bit negative, but to be fair, yesterday, we were away from home at the home of the Champions...

What can you do if our players refuse to learn from previous mistakes and repeatedly concede late on (it's 6 late goals now in all comps isn't it? ...and 10 points dropped from winning positions)

How often does a coach have to tell his players to concentrate for 90+minutes, and defend like Trojans when protecting a lead before it finally sinks in...?

A bit of Gaviscon should sort out our season in no time!

Just realised i've strayed WILDLY off the topic...
POSITIVE POSITVE POSITIVE VIBES ONLY ONLINE FROM ME NOW!

Somebody just deliverd this to my desk but i am guessing you need it more than i do Lister Lister :king:

soapbox.jpg

The thing that I've observed is that criticising players seems to be ok, but criticising the manager is out of bounds. If you think the manager has had a shocker then you should be able to say this without people jumping on you for "not giving AVB a chance"

And as for actually at the games.... what grated me was the few people that turned up against Maribor who were either too pissed to know what was going on or were more interested in calling the Park Lane cunts rather than watching the game and singing.

Forums are where people usually come to vent their frustrations so they're always going to seem negative.

Exactly people always have a bit of a moan when we lose. I don't think things are that bad. There will always be people who want the manager out and think they can do a better job. They should buy footie manager (I won the champions league with spurs yesterday btw)

It's only natural we will all moan when we are having an iffy spell. There are of course some massive trolls around -cough- Carlito -cough-

But if we all agreed there would be no pint in having the forum.

Once again - not saying everyone needs to agree or indeed should raise critisisms - more just that it would be better imo if people were more constructive in how they did it.

Have a view on glory-glory, see what happens when the trolls are given the free run, what happens when personal agenda and baiting is left to its own devices. Carlito would be very welcome there, and he would be one of many just like him...

The more successful a forum becomes the shitter it gets. So TFC, take every complaint as a compliment and when it gets to the point you don't even want to come on here yourself... you know you've truly made it.

Hell, I like a debate as much as the next man. I even use it for fun sometimes to see just how far a person will go to prove their point even if it's obvious they're taling shit. But I do get what Lister is on about above. There are one or two people here, and to a larger extent on other boards, who need to "win". They do not see us as one collective known as fans and supporters, but rather feel that they are here for a battle, that their own personal honour is at stake. There is, perhaps, one notable individual on here, and certainly a lot of others on other boards, who will just keep fighting and fighting and fighting well beyond a sensible level, because you can see that they just have to be proved right. Doesn't matter if their argument is non-credible, or that they start resorting to personal insults or that they make enemies. They'll keep going again and again. They don't realise that there is a point in a debate where you say to yourself, hey we're all still fans, this is the internet and it's not personal. No need to take things seriously.

Personally, the way I approach debate is to have a good thrashing out of the issues and any disagreement, but I always keep the notion in the back of my mind that whoever I am discussing something with may be someone I will see in the pub at a match and have a laugh with. That's why I never take the internet seriously and don't understand those that do. Nobody should ever let their emotions take them over when it comes to online debate.

Now, having said all that, this is the internet and I agree completely with what Rosie 47 says, namely that the more people you get coming here the greater the twat quota will be. That's just the nature of the beast. There is no great haven where we can all go and we're all mature and stand up guys. Either we become a sanitised place full of rules and overzealous mods like COYS or Spurs Community (or worse still vet people before they join), or we alllow this place to remain a much more free environment, warts and all. I vote for the latter.

The best way to deal with a divisive fan who takes arguments too seriously is to gently troll them. I'm not saying be nasty, but if you gently prod them you'll get them to reveal their true colours. Those who are just here for a discussion by itself will never blow up, the ones that do and then sit around defending themselves are the ones that give themselves away.

I can't think of a single case where a civil uprising or revoultion started with a mob of happy people. The negative feelings makes some logon to TFC, call 6-0-6 football phone-in or lynch a few royals.

*think happy thoughts, think happy thoughts*

Seriously though, we are a bunch of no marks, discussing a game where 11 men kick a bit of leather round on some grass..and the best thing? Nothing we say has any bearing on anything.

How c*ntish are we?

For me, forums should be about banter (much as I hate that word) and, wherever possible, reasonably priced concert/theatre tickets (RIP Ron, sleep tight sweet prince).

It's gotten way too serious on here lately. Cunts.

Back
Top Bottom