Other matches fred 2018/19

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

City or Everton

I'd prefer City right now. Puts pressure on Liverpool Bournemouth.
Enough of that now. Its like we want Liverpool to lose the league more than us to win the damn thing. City lost the one before previous game and Liverpool drew, City won the next one and Liverpool still drew. Obviously City's results are not affecting Liverpool's. They are fucking up on their own. Now we need City to fuck up too.

Enough of that now. Its like we want Liverpool to lose the league more than us to win the damn thing. City lost the one before previous game and Liverpool drew, City won the next one and Liverpool still drew. Obviously City's results are not affecting Liverpool's. They are fucking up on their own. Now we need City to fuck up too.
Actually, we don't. It would be helpful though. But if it adds more 'pressure' on Liverpool to have City close then I hope City don't drop anymore points before we play them or Liverpool drop below us. If we win all our games (unlikely, but just addressing your point) we top City.

City to win tomorrow and go top and then drop points to Chelsea will do me.

Liverpool will lose their game in hand away at Old Trafford. So we win our next two and we go 2 points off top.

Actually, we don't. It would be helpful though. But if it adds more 'pressure' on Liverpool to have City close then I hope City don't drop anymore points before we play them or Liverpool drop below us. If we win all our games (unlikely, but just addressing your point) we top City.
But in your world we have to win every single game. Unlikely to happen since we have just very recently lost 2 matches and survived against bottom teams.

Hoping a team , we need to overtake , keeps winning is completely the opposite of what we should want. You think Liverpool fans are hoping we keep winning our matches so it would put pressure on City. Of course not, we are one of the contenders, they need us and city to keep losing.

But in your world we have to win every single game.
Surprisingly, this statement is true in all the current worlds of which I am familiar.
Unlikely to happen since we have just very recently lost 2 matches and survived against bottom teams.
You are correct and thank you for drawing my attention to it. I hadn't considered that when I said:
If we win all our games (unlikely, but just addressing your point) we top City.

Hoping a team , we need to overtake , keeps winning is completely the opposite of what we should want.
Again, my point was that our position relative to City is in our hands. Thus, I don't hope they win every game as they still have 1 left with us. I do hope they win enough to pressurize Liverpool whose position relative to us we do not control. That was my point when I said:
But if it adds more 'pressure' on Liverpool to have City close then I hope City don't drop anymore points before we play them or Liverpool drop below us.
You think Liverpool fans are hoping we keep winning our matches so it would put pressure on City.
Hope not but their circumstances are different to ours. They don't need 'help' from anyone. If they win/match City's and our results they win the league. We need the help of others, they don't.
Of course not, we are one of the contenders, they need us and city to keep losing.
They in fact need nothing of the sort. This is a fact with which you have to come to grips. If they win (or match results) their remaining games they will be champions. That is mathematical fact. All the other shit you may be conjuring is hypothetical. New circumstances may come to pass but that doesn't change the facts of the matter at this moment.

Point being is that the medias portrayal of the fans of the North East is inaccurate.
Anyone would think that they take 100,000 away every fucking game.
It's another of the myths that the media have set in stone, alongside the idea that all neutrals want to see LIverpool do well and the likes of Abramovich are "good for the game".

Again, my point was that our position relative to City is in our hands. Thus, I don't hope they win every game as they still have 1 left with us. I do hope they win enough to pressurize Liverpool whose position relative to us we do not control. That was my point when I said:

Hope not but their circumstances are different to ours. They don't need 'help' from anyone. If they win/match City's and our results they win the league. We need the help of others, they don't.

They in fact need nothing of the sort. This is a fact with which you have to come to grips. If they win (or match results) their remaining games they will be champions. That is mathematical fact. All the other shit you may be conjuring is hypothetical. New circumstances may come to pass but that doesn't change the facts of the matter at this moment.
Too much of your thinking is based on teams winning all their matches. Liverpool wont win all their matches, so they are definitely hoping city and us lose. They were superexcited with Agent Rafa helping them out because no one is going to win all their matches. None of the other two teams are hoping their rivals win matches for some hypothetical 'pressure' which didnt make a difference in the previous two matches.

Dortmund v Bremen in the German cup was a lot of fun. 1-1 at full time followed by both teams scoring twice in extra time and Bremen winning on penalties. Claudio Pizarro being one of Bremen's goal scorers

Too much of your thinking is based on teams winning all their matches.
Actually, all of my thinking is based on conditions and facts as they are now. All else is conjecture at this point.

Liverpool wont win all their matches, so they are definitely hoping city and us lose.
Opinion(s) stated as fact. You don't know whether they will or won't win all their games. It may be improbable or very unlikely but it is still a possibility. But it makes no matter to my main point which was that we don't need City to lose games, other than our return fixture with them, to overtake them.

None of the other two teams are hoping their rivals win matches
Are you sure of this? Every single fan of the other teams? Did you survey them? Sounds suspiciously like opinion again stated as a fact.

for some hypothetical 'pressure' which didnt make a difference in the previous two matches
Are you sure again? How did you measure this? You must be one hell of a social scientist. Because if you didn't measure this I am not sure how you can conclude their wasn't an effect. And before you get your britches in a bunch I am not saying there was an effect. I'm just saying that you cannot conclude that from the info you've shown.

I understand your point and perspective and it is thoroughly reasonable for someone to arrive there. I just have a slightly different take of control the things you can control and that means focusing on our results. In that, we do not have to worry about City if we handle our business. If we don't then it is not external factors that fucked it up as it was our own doing. With Liverpool maybe they will or won't drop points we don't know. What we do know it we don't control their position relative to us. But during the Leicester year we didn't handle our business.

Dortmund v Bremen in the German cup was a lot of fun. 1-1 at full time followed by both teams scoring twice in extra time and Bremen winning on penalties. Claudio Pizarro being one of Bremen's goal scorers
Surprised you weren't here earlier. Yeah, it was a good game. I had to miss the 2 part of ET so I was surprised by the outcome. I saw up to the point of Pizarro (is he like 95?) come on.

edit: jsut watched the end. Jeez the Bremen fans were loud as hell. thrid goals for both teams were questionable. Ref allowing the handball for BVB that he called Bremen for just earlier. And the BVB GK flapping at that header. But really good entertainment.

Last edited:
Are you sure again? How did you measure this? You must be one hell of a social scientist. Because if you didn't measure this I am not sure how you can conclude their wasn't an effect. And before you get your britches in a bunch I am not saying there was an effect. I'm just saying that you cannot conclude that from the info you've shown.
Because Liverpool dropped points regardless of Mancity winning or losing. They dropped when city lost and they dropped when city won. The main thing is they are dropping points because they cant win every match. They are good but not that good.

About the bolded bit , take it easy mate, we are just talking about football, not life and death.

Anyway how about this. Are Woolwich who are 6th hoping that Manutd who are 5th put pressure on Chelsea 4th by winning matches? Or they want both manutd and chelsea to keep losing so they can win their top 4 trophy.

Because Liverpool dropped points regardless of Mancity winning or losing.
Really? Is that how you see it? It has to be a 1:1 in order for there to be an effect? There's no possibiilty of a gradient of effect? Perhaps Pool would have actually WON those games without the hypothetical pressure. Perhaps Pool would have played better without the hypothetical pressure. Perhaps...and I have a feeling that this is gonna blow your mind but perhaps Pool would have lost those games but the pressure actually spurred them on to raise their level. OMFG!!!!!! Or, or perhaps Pool would have won vs WHam but got complacent because they thought the league was over. Can you not see this? These are all possibilities which are not measured and characterized by just looking at the outcome.

I kinda knew what I was getting into from some of your previous reasoning but you are putting it out writ large. Liverpool dropping points or not, irrespective of City results proves nothing. FFS you must be able to reason better than this.

Are Woolwich who are 6th hoping that Manutd who are 5th put pressure on Chelsea 4th by winning matches?
Don't know and I don't care. And since I have accumulated a decent amount of data to suggest that even if I did and could actually explain it I am not sure you could take it on. So I am not going to waste the effort. But what i do know is that none of this has any bearing on us vs ManCity in relation to final table position. Which was my initial point before these digressions. A point that you have neither conceded nor refuted.

Really? Is that how you see it? It has to be a 1:1 in order for there to be an effect? There's no possibiilty of a gradient of effect? Perhaps Pool would have actually WON those games without the hypothetical pressure. Perhaps Pool would have played better without the hypothetical pressure. Perhaps...and I have a feeling that this is gonna blow your mind but perhaps Pool would have lost those games but the pressure actually spurred them on to raise their level. OMFG!!!!!! Or, or perhaps Pool would have won vs WHam but got complacent because they thought the league was over. Can you not see this? These are all possibilities which are not measured and characterized by just looking at the outcome.

I kinda knew what I was getting into from some of your previous reasoning but you are putting it out writ large. Liverpool dropping points or not, irrespective of City results proves nothing. FFS you must be able to reason better than this.

Don't know and I don't care. And since I have accumulated a decent amount of data to suggest that even if I did and could actually explain it I am not sure you could take it on. So I am not going to waste the effort. But what i do know is that none of this has any bearing on us vs ManCity in relation to final table position. Which was my initial point before these digressions. A point that you have neither conceded nor refuted.
:pritchardeyes:

Back
Top Bottom