Other Matches Fred 2023/24

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Wolves don't look like scoring if they were out there another half.
Yet they had no problems when they played us twice!!

Fuckers!

Gary I'Neill had already written this game off on Friday with possibly the most negative, pre match acceptance of defeat I've ever seen from a PL manager!

Injuries, 10 fit players, gonna have to play the kids, already got enough points for safety....

I'm surprised Wolves even bothered turning up for this game, such was their assurance that they'd lose ..

Shame they couldn't have had the same gloomy outlook when WE played them (and lost) twice!!

I’d say persisting with Jackson
that was a bad one, 2 awful misses one on one, on his right and right foot, coming in from the left....going past the keeper for the first and not getting the shot away....he could have played till next week and still not scored.

Also - their best performance of the season was a 6-0 with Palmer scoring for fun. So he changes the formation sticks the crap Enxo in there, Palmer had ONE SCORING CHANCE in the box I counted, almost scored. HE'S THEIR BEST SCORER AND HE HAS ONE SHOT (not counting that 40 yarder ofc).

In game management....fine to set up to play against Citeh on the break, that was what almost got Chavs a win up at Maine Rd, but once it became clear that City were running on fumes, then take the game to them!! I'm not a huge Stirling fan, but FFS stick him on the touchline, tell him to run at the full backs and stretch the play to move City around and tire them further. Theyve played god knows how many more games than Chavs this season.

Awful preformance by Poch, thank god.

City were on the ropes, KDB poor, Foden off it, Grealish lazy arse, you'll never get a better chance to beat them, and Poch still copuldnt get them over the line.

I’d say persisting with Jackson when clearly he wasn’t going to score and waiting until the 88th minute to bring on Sterling were typical of his risk-aversion to mixing it up and adapting to the game.
Interesting answer and very important in the greater discussions on this board...most of your answer has NOTHING to do with tactics and the other part only vaguely addresses them. Persisting with a player to execute the tactics is a personnel issue, not tactics in and of themselves. Though these are often conflated they are not the same and it isn't just semantics.

Additionally, complaints about a particular coaches "risk-aversion" or overall 'aggressivity' is a complaint about (the dreaded) philosophy or strategy...and not tactics.

And the vague point about "adapting to the game" is A) retrospective in nature (hindsight being 20/20); B) misapplied because they were still creating chances up to the last couple minutes when Chilwell choked the chance to send Sterling in on goal; C) on another day they would have already had 2 very "I've seen them given" penalties at the point City scored; and D) what tactical changes would you have had him do and which players available to him would have been best suited to execute these new and improved tactics?

I'd say that your complaint, like many, is garden variety "X didn't happen so someone must have made a mistake". IMO this is not always the case and that position usually begins and ends at a confirmatory place. It's why it was refreshing to hear Pep say that there was no disappointment in the loss to RM because they did everything they were supposed to do and did it well. But I'm sure many, in retrospect, will find things he did wrong...but those people feel he did something wrong even before the game started...and now they have something to sink their teeth into.

Back
Top Bottom