Other Team Transfers

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Fuck. Really?

That explains the 20m fee. I would imagine RBL are having to give him a big signing on fee as well because they’re definitely not paying him 375K a week.
As far as I'm concerned Chelsea deserve to be taken on this deal. This kid had to be signed on the back of literally NO scouting...or they just utilized Spurs' dossier.

Would you?

He's crap.

See above. I guess it’s more complicated than 20m. I had no idea he was on 375pw.

I don’t think he’s total crap though. I think he’s a very similar type to Son. Similar flaws (fucking flimsy Without the ball and can bumble about a bit outside the box) and similar strengths (v quick, direct, decent timing, gets into good positions to score). Both need the right set up to be viable. Both need a fulcrum guy next to them. Son’s better at mid range shooting, Werner gets on the end of close range chances more. It’s taken Son almost his whole career to have a 20+ season.

Liverpool wanted him - and in their system, playing off a False 9 - isolating defenders as they do, he could have been effective. Chelsea’s slower build up, with no guy to do the donkey work, less so.

Somewhere like Leicester, in the “Vardy” role might work?

But not for 375pw.

As far as I'm concerned Chelsea deserve to be taken on this deal. This kid had to be signed on the back of literally NO scouting...or they just utilized Spurs' dossier.

I think they piggy backed Liverpool, Who really wanted him but at the time they couldn’t afford to buy anybody (it was the summer of no signings if I remember rightly when they were skint)?

Seems, even when the Liverpool recruitment machine get it wrong they get it right

See above. I guess it’s more complicated than 20m. I had no idea he was on 375pw.

I don’t think he’s total crap though. I think he’s a very similar type to Son. Similar flaws (fucking flimsy Without the ball and can bumble about a bit outside the box) and similar strengths (v quick, direct, decent timing, gets into good positions to score). Both need the right set up to be viable. Both need a fulcrum guy next to them. Son’s better at mid range shooting, Werner gets on the end of close range chances more. It’s taken Son almost his whole career to have a 20+ season.

Liverpool wanted him - and in their system, playing off a False 9 - isolating defenders as they do, he could have been effective. Chelsea’s slower build up, with no guy to do the donkey work, less so.

Somewhere like Leicester, in the “Vardy” role might work?

But not for 375pw.

Even if he wasn't on crazy wages... You'd honestly pay north or £20m for a wide fwd that can't score at the top level(*)?

(*It's all very well likening him to Son, but one's a golden boot winner....... The other as a finisher is an object of ridicule in the EPL.)

Another one of Real Madrid's highly-rated academy players bites the dust (i.e. he was not as good as first touted to be). Last year he was strongly linked to Spurs.
Why on earth do top talent join Real M. when hardly any of them makes it to the 1st team :cool:

Real Madrid defender Miguel Gutierrez has completed a permanent move to Girona.

The highly rated full back broke into the Los Blancos first team at the back end of the 2021/22 campaign but he made just three La Liga appearances last season.

His lack of game time opened up speculation over a move away from the Spanish capital for the Madrid native with Girona finally completing a move for the 21-year-old.

Gutierrez has agreed a contract until 2027 in Catalonia with a fee reportedly in the region of €5m for the Real Madrid academy graduate.

His move to Catalonia is the sixth summer arrival at the Estadi Montilivi with five loan deals wrapped up by the club in recent weeks including Atletico Madrid starlet Rodrigo Riquleme.

Anyone who watches La Liga? Thoughts on Wolves' new signing Guedes from Valencia?
Rubbish...but he can score the odd banger. Think faster Bruno Fernandes. Was good for Valencia for 1 year while on loan from PSG. Since that time, meh. If Wolves play on the counter then he might be productive. But this is a Mendes deal and he's just moving his pieces to new team.

Even if he wasn't on crazy wages... You'd honestly pay north or £20m for a wide fwd that can't score at the top level(*)?

(*It's all very well likening him to Son, but one's a golden boot winner....... The other as a finisher is an object of ridicule in the EPL.)

20m is fuck all relatively speaking.

Top level?
He scored 21/13/16/28 a season for RBL the season Liverpool wanted and Chelsea bought him.

Son had only scored more than 12 once in a season before two seasons ago, including in the Bundesliga.

375pw on the other hand is insane for anybody let alone Werner, or Son.

I wouldn’t want him because we’ve already got Son who is very very similar, but I can see why some might especially if it wasn’t 375 million a week and it was only 20m for the fee.

Liverpool aren’t stupid. They wanted him.

Last edited:
20m is fuck all relatively speaking.

You said more than 20m..... How high would you be prepared to go exactly?

(In terms of attributing a value to him; regardless of Spurs.)

Top level?

Yes.... "Top level".

BL has a question mark hanging over it when it comes to attacking players transitioning to the EPL...... (Also see fellow Chav, Havertz)

It's all very well adopting the stance that TW can still score in other leagues, but (like with us trying to sell Reg & GLC) the amount of teams of their level that can afford 25-30m for a player drastically shrinks.

He scored 21/13/16/28 a season for RBL the season Liverpool wanted and Chelsea bought him.

Son had only scored more than 12 once in a season before two seasons ago, including in the Bundesliga.

Why should the last 2 seasons not count?

We've been in a lull over recent seasons and most would argue the chavs are were a better team.

Enter Werner with a big rep and he's scored 10 EPL-G vs Son's 40.

Son's better CL season is better than TW's too.

Son:
EPL-G / CL-G / EPL-A / CL-A

21/22 - 23 / 0 / 9 / 0
20/21 - 17 / 0 / 10 / 0
19/20 - 11 / 5 / 11 / 1
18/19 - 12 / 4 / 7 / 1
17/18 - 12 / 4 / 6 / 0
16/17 - 14 / 1 / 8 / 0

Werner:
EPL-G / CL-G / EPL-A / CL-A

21/22 - 4 / 4 / 1 / 2
20/21 - 6 / 4 / 12 / 2

BL-G / CL-G / BL-A / CL-A

19/20 - 28 / 4 / 8 / 2
18/19 - 16 / 0 / 9 / 0
17/18 - 13 / 0 / 8 / 0
16/17 - 21 / 0 / 7 / 0

Liverpool aren’t stupid. They wanted him.

They are not infallible..... Keita, Minamino.... Both from the BL too btw.

You think they'd pay 50m for him now they've seen him in the EPL for the last 2 years?

Last edited:
Son & Werner have some similar attributes but one is one of the deadliest finishers in world football whilst the other shits the bed in front of goal. Or at least that's been the case in England, I'm sure it was different in Germany but for whatever reason the confidence is gone here.

In Werner's first season he was below his xG by 7 goals and then 2 goals last season because his minutes got slashed. In contrast Son exceeded his xG by 6 in both of the last two seasons, so one is wasting chances you'd expect him to score & the other is doing the exact opposite.

L’Équipe report this morning that French forward Marcus Thuram has turned down an offer from Nice, who had made the Borussia Mönchengladbach man their priority signing for the number 9 position this summer.

The 25-year-old, who opened his Bundesliga campaign with a goal against Hoffenheim over the weekend, had made his decision known shortly before the game, after weeks of discussions over a potential return to Ligue 1.

The former Guingamp man, who has one year left on his contract with the German club, ideally wants to be playing in a club which is on the European stage so as to compete for a place in Didier Deschamps’ France squad for the World Cup, over a year after his last call-up.

To get there, he wants to have a better season than last – he has already bettered his tally in all competition from last year with a hat-trick in the cup – and play in the Champions League, which Nice cannot offer with their Conference League qualifying status.

Lucien Favre had called him multiple times and ensured that he had high ambitions for Les Aiglons, but Thuram – who also wants to move to the number 9 position permanently – wanted to play at the highest level now, with his current team missing out on Europe entirely.

Thuram was also on Borussia Dortmund’s shortlist for a Sébastien Haller replacement, but his signing proved too costly and Anthony Modeste was chosen. The 25-year-old is said to have attracted interest from Italy instead.

Le Parisien report that Premier League outfit Leicester City have rejected two offers from Chelsea for 21-year-old French youth international central defender Wesley Fofana, worth €75m and €82m respectively.

PSG remain very interested in the Marseille born player, who has made his desire to leave the Foxes for the London based side – he knows that CFC is an opportunity to play Champions’ League football and manager Thomas Tuchel is very keen on the player.

Luis Campos remains focused on Milan Škriniar, as Inter continue to demand €70m for the Paris club to buy-out the final 12 months of his contract. A deal for the Slovakian international has been complicated which is why Campos is looking at Fofana.

Fofana had a remarkable first Premier League season in 2020/21, but then suffered a major injury to his left leg following a violent tackle from a Villarreal in a friendly, which kept him out for 7 months. When he returned, Leicester had better defensive structure. Now, he wants to leave to join a Champions’ League team in order to have a shot at a place in the France squad for the Qatar World Cup.

Speaking in an interview with The Telegraph, Fofana admitted that the World Cup is on the forefront of his mind:

“I would lie if I said that the World Cup was not something I was thinking about, because it is an important objective for me. I am French and of course, I would like to represent my national team. I know that the manager has his own ideas and a team already in place, but I really want to be there. Each player works hard. If someone is a bit lazy with his club, they will be put to one side. I don’t just want to win trophies but I will also try to be the best defender in the world.”

With Chelsea apparently willing to pay 80m+ for Fofana, should we re-evaluate our stance on paying similar amount for Gvardiol? Or possibly even join the Fofana race?

Seems like the going rate if you want to get the "best of the best". I'm strongly against paying this kind of money, but we've basically got the starting 11 we want except for RWB and LCB, and enough depth.

That final gap seems impossible to fill without splashing out.

This would be pretty crazy.. I wonder who City have lined up? If they were to go the whole season without an injury, you'd fancy them for the league with what they have. A couple of injuries leaves them very short across four comps. Barcelona's summer window is apeshit.

This would be pretty crazy.. I wonder who City have lined up? If they were to go the whole season without an injury, you'd fancy them for the league with what they have. A couple of injuries leaves them very short across four comps.

Wouldn't surprise me if they nick De Jong.

With Chelsea apparently willing to pay 80m+ for Fofana, should we re-evaluate our stance on paying similar amount for Gvardiol? Or possibly even join the Fofana race?

Seems like the going rate if you want to get the "best of the best". I'm strongly against paying this kind of money, but we've basically got the starting 11 we want except for RWB and LCB, and enough depth.

That final gap seems impossible to fill without splashing out.
Or, as bus-conductor bus-conductor suggested previously (though I am loath to bring up moments when he is correct), we could identify respective Fofanas much earlier...IDK but possibly when we were supposedly there giving the once over on Saliba. You would figure that whoever was watching Saliba would get a gander on his CB cohort. That's just poor scouting to focus on 1 player to the exclusion of others on the field. That would have had us in the Fofana stakes before LCFC and for <30M.

Point I'm making is that beyond the great bean counting we are run as poorly/amateurish as ManU or many of the other clubs in the PL not named City or Liverpool. But I don't think we, or anyone, should be shelling out 80 large for a CB or any other footballer FFS. I like Fofana but that 80M ship should have sailed for us...we should only spend that on yachts.

Back
Top Bottom