Part of the problem is a lack of youth players coming through

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

I honestly think that relative to our size and standing this club doesn't produce enough first teamers or squad players from the youth system.

Thats why we always fall short of the home grown rule and we always have to buy so many players in.

If you want to be a top European club, we need a top youth system.

From recent memory its Kane, Tanganga, Mason, Skipp, Winks, Walker Peters. Thats pretty shit, isnt it.

Chelsea meanwhile is a player farm, with literally dozens of players going on to make a name for themselves in the game. Loftus Cheek, Abraham, Reece James, CHO, Mason Mount, Tomori, Lamptey, Guei, Ake, Gilmour, Gallgher, Chalobah to name a few.

I honestly think that relative to our size and standing this club doesn't produce enough first teamers or squad players from the youth system.

Thats why we always fall short of the home grown rule and we always have to buy so many players in.

From recent memory its Kane, Tanganga, Mason, Skipp, Winks, Walker Peters. Thats pretty shit, isnt it.

Chelsea meanwhile is a player farm, with literally dozens of players going on to make a name for themselves in the game. Loftus Cheek, Abraham, Reece James, CHO, Mason Mount, Tomori, Lamptey, Guei, Ake, Gilmour, Gallgher, Chalobah to name a few.
Not gonna happen under ENIC. DL is not going to invest in youth players of sufficient quality to even remotely compare to Chelsea's academy. Those players cost real money that carries significant risk of no return. We'll keep the cycle going of overhyped youngster ultimately disappointing inflated expectations on his way down to the champo.

Not gonna happen under ENIC. DL is not going to invest in youth players of sufficient quality to even remotely compare to Chelsea's academy. Those players cost real money that carries significant risk of no return.
Don't most of those players come in for free at very young ages?

Mount's been at Chelsea since he was 6.

I'm curious how all of this works actually if anyone has insight about that.

How does the life of a precocious young footballer in London progress?

I put a lot of it down to the scouts and coaches
from my experiance, we had 3 lads in school team that played for local acaemey, (they trained twice a week and played on saturdays)
when you watch them play in the school team you would expect them to be head & shoulders above the other boys but no we had 3 better lads, of these 3 lads at the acadmey 2 were relased at 18 the other had a contract till 21 then released
when I talk to local scouts at our club tournment weekends they tell me often its once the lad has caught the acadmey coaches eye they never get released
many years ago there was a local first team coach who run coaching for coaching sessions, once a month he would hold these sessions showing grassroot coaches different forms of coaching, tactics etc
his hope was that we would increase the amount of good players they had to choose from

This is a club with the worst scouts in the league. If they can't figure it out at the professional level I can only imagine how out of depth they are when they are forced to watch 13 yr olds.

We relied on bringing youth through previously, and it didn't get is closer to winning a trophy. I think we missed a trick by not loaning them out when we should have (Winks, Onomah, Skipp a bit earier, Parrott).

We relied on bringing youth through previously, and it didn't get is closer to winning a trophy. I think we missed a trick by not loaning them out when we should have (Winks, Onomah, Skipp a bit earier, Parrott).
It not so much about making a championship winning team from your acadamy, thats impossible. Its more filling the squad with 4 or 5 steady players every 3 years and possibly a couple good enough for the 1st 11 in a top 4 side.

Otherwise youre always buying every summer and winter, and tight on home grown rules. Youll never go anywhere without a few academy players.

This has been an issue with me for too long, we produce a top class player every ten years or so. We churn out neat, tidy but weak players year after year that have half decent careers elsewhere and compared to other clubs it’s dreadful. Not sure I blame levy (it’s too simplistic) somehow we’re simply not identifying or developing top class youngsters.

My feeling is that it’s all too easy and cosseted and doesn’t prepare kids for the reality of football which is physically and mentally extremely tough at the top level

to show how much the acadmey guys know who there thought that scaelett was ready to help the first team ?
to me that would set up big alarm bells on the type of coaches/managers we have at the lower levels

I think you are being rather harsh. We've made 100m in youth player sales over the last few years - and that's not including the players still with us that would easily double that.

Sure, not all players will make it too the senior squad, but a number of players in the list below played a significant amount of minutes for us.

Walker-Peters (14m)
Bentaleb (20m)
Mason (16m)
Oonamah (free)
Pritchard (10m)
Townsend (16m)
Caroll (5m)
Livermore (7m)
Naughton (7m)

As we progressed into a 'Top 4' team, there is more pressure to play senior players, so it makes it harder for the kids to get into the team.

I think you are being rather harsh. We've made 100m in youth player sales over the last few years - and that's not including the players still with us that would easily double that.

Sure, not all players will make it too the senior squad, but a number of players in the list below played a significant amount of minutes for us.

Walker-Peters (14m)
Bentaleb (20m)
Mason (16m)
Oonamah (free)
Pritchard (10m)
Townsend (16m)
Caroll (5m)
Livermore (7m)
Naughton (7m)

As we progressed into a 'Top 4' team, there is more pressure to play senior players, so it makes it harder for the kids to get into the team.
Naughton didn't come through the caddy,

Not gonna happen under ENIC. DL is not going to invest in youth players of sufficient quality to even remotely compare to Chelsea's academy. Those players cost real money that carries significant risk of no return. We'll keep the cycle going of overhyped youngster ultimately disappointing inflated expectations on his way down to the champo.

Or perhaps Chelsea invested a lot of money in their academy and now have the Monopoly on young players not just in London, a large part of the UK but in Europe as well, their scouting department and youth system is extremely high calibre and they just had the benefit and foresight of investing in youth to that level when they got their investment from Roman, he laundered his money well put it that way...

They also pay through the nose for their young players, pay them high wages and pay money to their families, that's why they are so good at targeting young players. The point is comparing anyone's academy particularly from within London to Chelsea's needs context, it's not just us playing catch up it's everyone else as well - them and Man City have got the South and North covered respectively.

to show how much the acadmey guys know who there thought that scaelett was ready to help the first team ?
to me that would set up big alarm bells on the type of coaches/managers we have at the lower levels

Jose said the same thing as well though...

Scarlett is really talented but he's not ready to play in this team yet, I say this team because when he has played we haven't given him any service and he's been isolated and looked lost which isn't his fault.

Or perhaps Chelsea invested a lot of money in their academy and now have the Monopoly on young players not just in London, a large part of the UK but in Europe as well, their scouting department and youth system is extremely high calibre and they just had the benefit and foresight of investing in youth to that level when they got their investment from Roman, he laundered his money well put it that way...

They also pay through the nose for their young players, pay them high wages and pay money to their families, that's why they are so good at targeting young players. The point is comparing anyone's academy particularly from within London to Chelsea's needs context, it's not just us playing catch up it's everyone else as well - them and Man City have got the South and North covered respectively.

Re: Chavs - Breaking youth recruitment rules on numerous occasions very much helps too.....

Another scenario where rulebreaking allows you to prosper despite relatively meek punishment.

Also see FFP breaches/Man City.

The vast majority of youth team players won't cut it. And the only way to make the newbies into the first team fit is to introduce them to a very strong first team so there isn't a weight of expectation on them.

Re: Chavs - Breaking youth recruitment rules on numerous occasions very much helps too.....

Another scenario where rulebreaking allows you to prosper despite relatively meek punishment.

Also see FFP breaches/Man City.

Yeah they ended up with a transfer ban - not sure that was worth it to illegally sign youth players that never played a minute for them

Yeah they ended up with a transfer ban - not sure that was worth it to illegally sign youth players that never played a minute for them

They still make good money off of their academy players and that trf ban forced their hand to blood a few before spending a fuck load the following season and winning the CL.....

Safe to say the punishment was nothing more than a blip for them and they prospered regardless (much like City's FFP breaches and other 'punished' irregularities).

Back
Top Bottom