Paul Gascoigne

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

I know it's an illness, have experience of it first hand. All I am saying is that if he doesn't want to help himself, nobody can help him.
It is quite sad that he has hardly any substantial sober time under his belt and his excuse for relapsing is 'I was bored"
It's not easy to stay sober, it's not a piece of piss. However, life is not easy.
It's still a choice to use even though it's an illness.
Just because it's an illness doesn't mean it's an excuse to use because ' ahhh he's an addict/alcoholic'.
He's lucky enough to have lots of help, help that some will never get because they cannot get funding for rehab and cannot afford it.
He's lucky enough to have lots of support and not seen as some low life junkie/ alky like most.
However, he has enablers and his fame is also a hindrance.
Believe me I empathise with the man, I empathise with every addict.

The simple fact is he has to want to help himself and give himself a break. We all think he's worth it, he still seems to think he's not.
Recovery is not just about not using, and not using for a long time is not success, just as relapse -if you survive it -is not a sign of failure as relapse can jolt you into applying yourself better.
Recovering is all about change. You have to stop all the old behaviour, the dishonesty and self deceit etc. It's about personal growth. Apathy and procrastination are the biggest enemies of addicts/alcoholics in recovery as he will probably attest to.
Like I said, I'm sure Paul knows what he has to do to stay clean, and he has to apply himself vigorously to do it. He has had enough rehab & counselling to realise that. He'd probably say the same if you asked him.
I wish him luck.

Wasn't Mandi the one in the tabs a few months back?

One thing's for certain, that's definitely a drunken rant. So sad. He's not got long now. I'm dreading the day.

The Circus will follow him all the way to his grave, sadly.
I fear he will die a very public, social-media heavy death....

Last edited:
Wasn't Mandi the one in the tabs a few months back?

One thing's for certain, that's definitely a drunken rant. So sad. He's not got long now. I'm dreading the day.

Yes I think she was his Girlfriend the only one he could trust as he put it.. Now it looks like she has crapped on him from a great height.
This could tip him right over the edge.. You can tell from his Tweets he's not taken this too well.

Tragic, really Tragic. The mind is a complex piece of engineering that really doesn't mind who it hangs out to dry.
I hope Paul comes to terms with his Demons, that way he could appreciate just what a National treasure he really is.
It's not like it's the first time a massive football star has found life outside the Game hard to deal with. If people like Gazza, as high profile as they are find it hard with all the trappings of success that they achieved, what chance do ordinary people like myself and my fellow members of TFC stand.
You could argue that Paul Merson suffered similar problems to Gazza and came out the other side. Well, I disagree,watching that fuckin clueless cretin every week just goes to show what can happen to a retired footballer who was looked after by his team mates. They are still looking after him now, the Cunt is an embarrassment.

Tragic, really Tragic. The mind is a complex piece of engineering that really doesn't mind who it hangs out to dry.
I hope Paul comes to terms with his Demons, that way he could appreciate just what a National treasure he really is.
It's not like it's the first time a massive football star has found life outside the Game hard to deal with. If people like Gazza, as high profile as they are find it hard with all the trappings of success that they achieved, what chance do ordinary people like myself and my fellow members of TFC stand.
You could argue that Paul Merson suffered similar problems to Gazza and came out the other side. Well, I disagree,watching that fuckin clueless cretin every week just goes to show what can happen to a retired footballer who was looked after by his team mates. They are still looking after him now, the Cunt is an embarrassment.

Well he hasn't as of yet... how many lives does he thinks he's got?

aye it's very very hard addiction to beat. i have problems with the juice and have seen myself doing pretty drastic shit to get a swalll. Hardcore drinkers think of nothing other than a drink... No different than smack. The only think that's kept him alive is who he is. He'd be long dead if he was just another Joe. Also when you get that far gone it vodka, terps cheap cider or what ever other crap you can get you hands on. Most Russians live to 50 if lucky if alcohol dependent.

Never too late but I reckon as shit as it sounds god taking him might be a better solution. Get some piece. Alex Higgins was another tragic case, playing for drink.

The Circus will follow him all the way to his grave, sadly.
I fear he will die a very public, social-media heavy death....
I think, like with george best, certain elements of the media are trying to help it along. It was well known that when best was on the wagon they would try to get him off it...Best Drunk again was a headline. Best sober wasnt. I reckon they are same with Gazza

I think, like with george best, certain elements of the media are trying to help it along. It was well known that when best was on the wagon they would try to get him off it...Best Drunk again was a headline. Best sober wasnt. I reckon they are same with Gazza

I hate to say it, but I think you're right... the Rauol Moat incident highlighted this...

One thing better than a nutter on the loose with a gun, is a former England footballer with a fishing rod in hand, offering him Fried Chicken and a chinwag by the side of a riverbank! The media couldn't fucking hide their collective erections that day!

Back
Top Bottom