Paulinho the dreadnought vs Adam the skaghead round 2 aka vs Stoke thread

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

The issue with Pooch's system is over congesting in the middle of the final third. Eriksen, Lamela, Mason and Capoue/dembele all trying to occupy the same space in the name of high press. You don't need to commit 4-5 players to press the ball. Should be simplier- you lose the ball; you fight to get it back and the ball winner runs in to assist. When you are in possession you keep the shape/fluidity there should not be a need to come out of position to take the ball out of your teammates' feet.
Look at Southampton this season. When they lose the ball and the other team goes to counter, the guy who lost the ball tries to get it back and either schneiderland or wanyama goes in to help while the other tracks back and finds the runner/looks to intercept the pass.

Maybe these are stupid questions, but...
  • When a team makes two defensive subs within 30 minutes and one of them is on a yellow how the hell do you not run at them?
  • Why are we running into a wall at the 18 and opposing teams have a good 3 yards of space in front of them?
  • WHY DOES EVERYONE HAVE TO TAKE ONE OR TWO TOUCHES BEFORE ATTEMPTING A SHOT AND THEREFORE MISSING THE OPPORTUNITY?
Painful to watch. And here's a stat for you: How may times did a Spurs player with the ball hold out his hands to the side because he didn't know what to do? To me, that sums it all up.

Pochettino is in a real tough spot now. What he should do is start dropping senior players and inserting young players or lesser used players to make a point. But if he pisses off senior players and they start making problems, there is no guarantee that Levy won't just sack him.

Our manager needs to be given autonomy to build HIS squad without having his head placed under the guillotine constantly. But Levy is meddler and this what you get when a businessman assembles your team.

Going forward, Vertonghen needs to start and I'd probably play Dier next to him though with Naughton suspended that might not happen. I'd have a long like at including the likes of Oglivie and Ball as well. Can't be worse than the current lot. Capoue needs to be dropped, Stambouli or healthy Bentaleb to partner Mason. Getting almost nothing out of Eriksen and Lamela makes it so difficult for us to play well. Wouldn't mind seeing Ceballos or Onomah get a chance.

We need to shake it up and motivate the side. Levy needs to make sure Pochettino has the stability and authority to do that.

We've already got Rose, Mason, Townsend and Kane starting today - I'd love to see this fabled theory of "put a local lad in the team, he'll be like one of us" be the answer to all of our ills. The reality is the kids play for a few weeks, everyone is pleasantly surprised they aren't utter crap and expectations begin to rise.......we are about 3 games away from Kane getting roundly slated for not being good enough.

We've gone from Modric, Bale and van der Vaart to Mason, Townsend and Kane but we are still expecting the same results.

The inverted winger debate means nothing. Teams have shown that you can win with either. It's all about moving the ball quickly. Our players are afraid to do anything first time and are so predictable because of it.

i had a split tooth extracted 3 weeks ago. Piece of piss.
:paulinhobored:
tough_guy_race.jpg

We've gone from Modric, Bale and van der Vaart to Mason, Townsend and Kane but we are still expecting the same results.

I don't think anyone with a modicum of sense is expecting that but, fuck me, we should be seeing better than the shite we're being dished up currently. Home defeats (and deserved defeats) to Stoke, WBA, and the Geordies is simply not good enough, even for a 'transitional' season.

We've already got Rose, Mason, Townsend and Kane starting today - I'd love to see this fabled theory of "put a local lad in the team, he'll be like one of us" be the answer to all of our ills. The reality is the kids play for a few weeks, everyone is pleasantly surprised they aren't utter crap and expectations begin to rise.......we are about 3 games away from Kane getting roundly slated for not being good enough.

Obviously we aren't as good of a team. But the problem isn't Mason, Kane, and Townsend, it's the millions we've pissed away on shit. 180 million and 19 players over the last three seasons and all we have to show for it is an incredible goalie, a pretty decent but moody CB, two sputtering wonder kids and Chadli. That's what has sunk us. We had the money and pissed it away.

As for the whole local lad thing, that wasn't what my point was about. Pochettino needs to start dropping the likes of Kaboul, Capoue and others to make a point. Whether it's Stambouli and Dier coming in or bringing in some of the academy players it doesn't matter. It's about making a point and trying to motivate underperformers. Ultimately our team is full of average players so it won't really matter but watching the same average players make mistakes every week is just so frustrating.

One really annoying thing about today is the opportunity was there to be up to joint 5th. And thereby to change the whole vibe at a quarter of the way through the season.

Fuck the excuses. No matter how long a coach has been in the job, how small the pitch is or how much the fans may be tense, If players cannot get properly up for that opportunity, at home, there are serious, fundamental problems.

I find it difficult to criticise ENIC and Levy for what happens on the pitch on days like today.

The coach and the players didn't perform as a collective. And that's happening too frequently.

Spursy as fuck that kaboul hasn't managed to get injured once yet this season.
Because that's the only way he's going to be dropped out of the team.

I can understand it taking time to add some fluency to our attack with the new manager but for fucks sake at least start by making us hard to beat. I don't think I've seen another side in the league whose defence is so easy to get at.

What is the point of having 2 deep midfielders at home if they are then going to allow a player to run 30 yards straight through the centre of the pitch and take a shot at goal with not one challenge coming in.

So confused by what is supposed to be happening. No one knows who to blame. Players, manager, chairmen, fans. The whole thing is a big mess again.

I'm still adamant we should never have sacked AVB. Those smashing a by city and Liverpool aside, we at least looked quite solid at the back if not a little dull going forward (funny that when you don't have a better than mid table striker at the club) If only we'd actually bought the players he wanted.

Jesus wept this is so depressing. The worst part is, it was entirely predictable. I am not shocked by this defeat in the slightest
Could not agree more Kaboul is too slow and as the guy in Talksport says there is a howler in him for every game. I couldn't believe we made him Captain. But who takes the wrap? This man Levy appoints the manager although most supporters wanted Frank De Boer and now Barca are sniffing around him. Levy makes me sick, we need two good strikers but our scouting policy is shit. How do Newcastle find all these cheap players who can score goals? As far as I'm concerned and no apology to all you Levy worshippers but LEVY is the problem the buck stops with him. I'm dreading the next game.

I bet Levy is secretly thinking the same - I honestly don't think he can cop out this time and sack Pochettino
Of course he can. And he will.

Because whilst everyone focuses on Levy, that decision is made by the Board.

And I wish people would remember that AVB's contract was ended by mutual consent following a meeting. So, that wasn't a straightforward sacking.

Of course he can. And he will.

Because whilst everyone focuses on Levy, that decision is made by the Board.

And I wish people would remember that AVB's contract was ended by mutual consent following a meeting. So, that wasn't a straightforward sacking.

If a Chairman calls a meeting immediately following a 5-0 home defeat it's only ending one way - they can say mutual consent all they like but I'd call it constructive dismissal.

Also the Board doesn't really exist as far as I can see - Enic own 85% of Spurs and Levy and Lewis own 100% of Enic.....they don't need to consult anyone to do anything.

That was one of worst first 45 minutes ive ever had the misfortune to pay for at Spurs. Gutless, clueless. Now at Hamilton Hall drinking away my sorrows.

Lloris, Kane and Mason the only ones to clap the park lane at the end. The rest can fuck off

Back
Top Bottom