Paulo Fonseca (Poll Added)

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

How do you feel about this appointment

• Like it.

Votes: 22 5.4%
  • Hate it.

Votes: 90 22.1%
  • Wait and see.

Votes: 217 53.2%
  • I quit.

Votes: 79 19.4%

• Total voters
I'm going to try and be balanced. Last night I was pissed. Screamed under ambitious. Having done some background research the football he plays within a system is excellent. Pressing football and a very attacking system. Should get the best out of the squad but we need better centre half options. We dont need to spend huge amounts just identify players that can play the system with quality. He does fit the profile.
Is he good at giving youngsters a go on the pitch, because that seems to be a major Levy factor?

If Kane leaves, at least it'll give reporters a few "From hero to Zorro" headlines.

0_GettyImages-887198884jpglook.jpg

A guy who came in because his wages are low and he'll work with what he's got. The sort of uninspiring appointment that you'd expect Wolves/Palace to make.

No other top 6 team would appoint this man
He made Roma worse and was replaced by the manager that just got sacked from us.
This pisses me off so much. I'm more angry at Levy/Paratici then Fonseca

If they want to win us back they need to put some serious effort into transfers (IN and OUT)

No other top 6 team would appoint this man
Bbb bbut woolwich appointed arteta :levywtf:

That after emery, who is a much better manager than his fonseca guy, has been sacked for failing to deliver.

bbb but levy is taking his time to take the right decision on the new manager. There’s his new decision. Hope you lot happy clappers are happy now :pochserious:

Sorry if already posted, haven't had time to review this thread.

Fonseca exclusive: Roma manager on Pep influence, Jesus’ style and ‘Smaldini’​

GettyImages-1201231668-1-scaled-e1607082539782-1024x682.jpg

By James Horncastle Dec 6, 2020
comment-icon.png
save-icon.png

Paulo Fonseca recommends the risotto. “The way they make it here is amazing,” he says, paying his compliments to Luka Jurowich, the chef at Roma’s training ground. By the sounds of it, Trigoria would merit three Michelin stars were the facility open to the public. “It’s a problem,” Fonseca jokes. “He cooks so well.”
Food isn’t the only reason the svelte and rather charming 47-year-old likes it here. When Fonseca left Shakhtar to replace Claudio Ranieri at Roma he rented a place in the heart of the Eternal City rather than out by the seaside in Ostia where Daniele De Rossi grew up. “I’m not just saying it because we’re doing an interview or because I coach Roma. I’d been to Rome before and I always loved it,” he smiles.
Before lockdown and the latest restrictions came in Fonseca would walk the San Pietrini, the cobbles named after the rocks on which Saint Peter’s basilica was built, the majesty of a city resembling an open-air museum a constant source of wonder and amazement.
Fonseca was born in Mozambique and arrived from Ukraine. As you can imagine, settling in Italy wasn’t difficult. Portugal is, after all, a land of intrepid explorers like Vasco da Gama and Ferdinand Magellan. “History tells us the Portuguese are all over the world,” Fonseca observes, particularly in football management.
He ascribes that to a couple of his compatriots. One is Vitor Frade, the retired university professor, whose pioneering ideas known as tactical periodisation are the Rosetta Stone of Portuguese coaching. “In the past we were very traditional,” Fonseca says. Looking back on his own playing career — Fonseca was a tall centre-back who oscillated between the first and second division — for a long time he thought football was about one thing and one thing only. “All I knew is we should run,” he laughs in recollection. Then Frade came along and his teachings were a revelation.
“Vitor changed a lot,” Fonseca acknowledges. “He changed our mentality.” The other trailblazer is so closely associated with Frade’s methodology that he is mentioned in almost the same breath. His name, however, is much more famous. “When Jose Mourinho appeared, this new mentality appeared,” Fonseca explains. “Jose was so important because he left the country (after upsetting the odds and winning the Champions League with Porto in 2004) and had so much success. This changed the way people look at our coaches.”
Doors that were previously closed suddenly opened. The self-proclaimed Special One bestowed credibility on Portugal as a producer of smart and versatile coaches. Hiring them became in vogue. Andre Villas-Boas got the Chelsea job. Others made names for themselves elsewhere like Marco Silva and Pedro Martins who delivered success in Greece with Olympiakos. Leonardo Jardim won Ligue 1 and reached a Champions League semi-final at Monaco. Fonseca swept all before him with Shakhtar and more recently Jorge Jesus lifted the Copa Libertadores at Flamengo, an achievement that deserves a mention on the shortlist for FIFA’s coach of the year award where he was overlooked.
Fonseca played under Jesus at Estrella Amadora. It turned out to be a transformational experience. Fonseca was nearing his thirties and before then had never shown any inclination to try his hand at coaching once his playing days were over. “Why?” Fonseca asks. “Because we didn’t learn too much as players. The game back then was very traditional, very physical. We used a lot of man-to-man marking. Jorge was the first tactical coach I had. He made us see things differently and I started to think about the game during the game very tactically. It became about three reference points: the space, the ball and our opponent. I learned a lot about defensive organisation from him. All the details of that phase of play. I started to understand many things.”
fonseca-roma

Paulo Fonseca, manager of AS Roma, gives instructions to Pedro (Photo: Giuseppe Maffia/NurPhoto via Getty Images)
Fonseca bonded with his assistant Nuno Campos over a mutual appreciation of Jesus’ style. But his vision for how he wants his teams to play was not limited to what he absorbed all those years ago in Amadora. “The team I liked watching most was Pep’s Barcelona,” Fonseca reveals, not that the memories of that particular Blaugrana vintage were the only reason behind Roma signing Pedro this autumn.
In his spare time when he isn’t watching Netflix — “I just finished Making A Murderer,” Fonseca says, “And another documentary I love is the one about Bobby Robson” — he still tries to catch Manchester City games. It’s a bonus that past encounters with them hold fond memories for him. In 2017, Fonseca famously kept his promise to dress up as Zorro after Shakhtar advanced to the Round of 16 of the Champions League. They did it by ending City’s 29-game unbeaten run in all competitions. Roma, as fate would have it, then eliminated his team in the knock-out stages. Guardiola still captures Fonseca’s imagination. “I like the changes he makes.” The evolution from one league to another, Spain then Germany and England. Specifically how the Catalan tweaks things here and there while staying true to his principles. Fonseca has had to do the same in Italy.
“Every game is a different story,” he says. “From a technical-tactical perspective, there isn’t a league like Serie A. Here you have teams that start in one system and finish in another. They change multiple times in the same game and change during the season too so when you play them again it’s different. You have teams that play one opponent this way and another opponent that way. The system isn’t the only thing that changes either, it’s the strategies within them too. They change from game to game as well.”
Fonseca believes this explains the success of Italian coaches abroad. They have triumphed in all five of Europe’s top divisions. More Italians (four) have won Premier League titles than Scots (two), the Portuguese, French, Spaniards or Germans (one each) and a major element to that is there’s little they haven’t seen before. Few problems they haven’t already solved. “Tactically they’re so strong, so well-prepared,” Fonseca argues. “That’s why football is tough here. It’s really tactical. When Italians go to work in another country it isn’t difficult for them.”
Fonseca is widely considered the only foreign coach working in Serie A. Sinisa Mihajlovic and Ivan Juric have been around the league so long first as players and now as managers that the pair feel as local and homegrown as Gian Piero Gasperini and Roberto De Zerbi. The exposure to this unique and still quite insular football culture has sharpened Fonseca’s own instincts and brought a new side out of him. “I’ve had to adapt my ideas. In the past I was obsessive about possession,” he holds his hands up. Put that down to the influence of Guardiola. The prevailing idea went like this: If we have the ball, we can dominate, we are in control.
“I love teams that are courageous on the ball,” Fonseca elaborates. But Serie A made him recalibrate. “I’ve changed now. Keeping the ball as I love to do is not possible in Italy,” he observes and you can see that in the numbers. Roma currently rank midtable in possession (11th). “I’ve come to understand the importance of transitions. I realise how important it is to win the ball and attack fast because all the teams here are defensively well prepared. Finding space is difficult here. If you don’t attack fast they organise very quickly and you don’t have a transition.”
Roma have, for the most part, done that to very good effect this season. StatsBomb ranks them third in high press and counter-attacking shots per 90 minutes and Inter are the only team producing more in terms of expected goals (xG). The switch to a back three in July, Pedro’s arrival in the last transfer window and Henrikh Mkhitaryan’s ability to stay healthy and play at a level comparable to his last season at Dortmund when he was named Bundesliga Player of the Year has given the team a pleasing balance.
After the retirement of Francesco Totti and the departures of Daniele De Rossi, Kevin Strootman, Alessandro Florenzi and Radja Nainggolan, Roma have new leaders around Edin Dzeko and Lorenzo Pellegrini, with Pedro, Mkhitaryan and Chris Smalling lending their experience to an otherwise young team full of talent.
“The character of the players is really important to me,” Fonseca says. “Pedro didn’t play every game at Chelsea but when he did he worked so hard defensively. He is backing up everything I thought I knew about him. As for Mkhi he is very similar to Pedro. They’re very intelligent guys with a strong tactical capacity. But what I like seeing from them is the motivation. Mkhi works like he is 18 every day. It’s not easy to find characters like that. They’re a reference for the team just like Dzeko is.”
A semblance of continuity has helped Roma improve even amid the disruption caused by the pandemic. Fonseca is used to making adjustments in extreme circumstances. “I was coach of Shakhtar for three years and I’ve never been to Donetsk,” he says of his former club who were displaced by the conflict in the Donbass in 2014. “I lived in Kiev. We played in Kharkiv then Lviv. In one year we made 125 flights. It was an amazing experience. It’s like you said the Portuguese adapt easily to different situations.”
fonseca-roma

Fonseca was appointed Roma manager in June 2019 (Photo by Paolo Bruno/Getty Images)
Even prior to COVID-19 making its impact felt across the world, Fonseca faced a number of challenges at Roma. He inherited a team that missed out on the Champions League barely a year after reaching the semi-finals. The wage bill needed shaving. An injury crisis of epic proportions last autumn was difficult to handle even though it didn’t stop an equally epic 4-0 win in Udine where Roma were down to 10 men, playing centre-back Gianluca Mancini in midfield and still returned to the capital with all three points.
Nicolo Zaniolo, the future of this team, was magnificent that night but blew out his knee against Juventus in January. A takeover of the club was on then off then back on again. Gianluca Petrachi, the sporting director, got sacked and will only be replaced next month when Tiago Pinto joins from Benfica after a thorough hiring process conducted by Roma’s reserved but present new owners, The Friedkin Group.
As with almost every transfer window the fear of Dzeko going to Chelsea, Inter or Juventus was real. Fonseca kept things together. Remarkably for someone shouldering the unique pressures of coaching this club in one of the most demanding markets in football, his hair remains jet black. No strands of grey are creeping through.
Which isn’t to say the job is without its stresses. The Sunday-Thursday night routine of a Europa League team was already a grind pre-COVID. Now the calendar is more condensed and congested. Within it, the consistency Roma have found of late — winning five of their last six games in all competitions — is fairly impressive. “No one thinks about this but the players have no time off,” Fonseca says. “In the summer if they play for their national teams they have 10 days holiday. It’s not enough. The other day I saw Kevin De Bruyne voicing his frustration and it’s true. You cannot keep the players in the same shape and at the same level all season when they don’t have a break. It’s physically impossible.”
The quick turnaround between one season and another with no pre-season in between has compounded the issue in Fonseca’s opinion. He thinks it’s one of the reasons why we’re seeing big scorelines all over Europe with Serie A (3.24) almost matching the Bundesliga (3.28) for the highest goals-per-game average this season. The players, particularly at clubs engaged on three fronts, are physically and mentally fatigued. Tactical sessions are at a premium because coaches have to respect their need to recover. Time to go into the finer details is of the essence. Fonseca arrives at our interview after a video analysis presentation cut by his assistant Tiago Leal. “Film is more and more important (since the pandemic hit). If you can’t work on the pitch you work with video,” he says. “But it’s not the same as practice. That’s why we see so many goals.”
Apart from last weekend’s 4-0 defeat to Napoli at the San Paolo — which came after a trip to Romania in the Europa League and was played in the emotive context of Diego Maradona’s death — Roma’s defensive phase has kept things fairly tight, conceding the fewest shots per game this season.
Fonseca enjoys it when I refer to Chris Smalling as Smaldini. “You know I made a big effort to keep him,” he says. “Chris has the ideal characteristics for Italian football. It’s not easy to find centre-backs who are as fast and aggressive as he is.” Roma have built their defence around these attributes. Fonseca highlights Mancini’s leadership skills for his age, Marash Kumbulla’s speed in adapting from Juric’s man-to-man schemes at Verona to playing zone in Rome and Roger Ibanez’s courage on the ball. “He’s a talent,” Fonseca underscores. Different in their own way, each of them share the pace and combativeness to play Fonseca’s style.
Roma have enough about them to regain a place in the top four this year. Of course doing so will be far from easy in a deeply competitive race, especially with a resurgent AC Milan currently leading Serie A and this weekend’s opponents Sassuolo attempting to gatecrash the elite in the style of Atalanta.
But this season could be one to savour under Fonseca and the success of Champions League qualification would no doubt taste even better than the risotto served at Trigoria.

Having just renewed I’m stuck with it. I honestly can’t comprehend this decision. If it proves anything it’s just that football (and our club in particular) is run by bumbling amateurs trying desperately to appear sage-like and masterful. Joke outfit.

There won’t be any big angry protests either. Crowds will dwindle, fans will tut and keyboard warriors will reign down fire. We are Woolwich
14 day cooling off period for online sales :levyeyes:

Back
Top Bottom