Paulo Fonseca (Poll Added)

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

How do you feel about this appointment

• Like it.

Votes: 22 5.4%
  • Hate it.

Votes: 90 22.1%
  • Wait and see.

Votes: 217 53.2%
  • I quit.

Votes: 79 19.4%

• Total voters
Watched the vid a few days ago. I think we can expect to see some really attacking, enjoyable football.

It’s pretty obvious what we’re doing. This fella is a ‘continuity candidate’. We’re obviously under the pump financially (a different discussion). They’re chancing their arm. He’s on a pittance in footballing terms so if Poch becomes available or anyone else in a few months’ time, we can make a move.

People take this stuff too seriously. Let’s just support the team and see where we end up.
I'm a wee bit worried that he didn't seem really keen on England preferring Germany instead...

What you mean the guy that had finished 2nd twice in a tough league, got to a champions league semi final and done well overall at both his clubs? No i thought Naglesmann would have been great, sadly so did Bayern.
The German League is dominated by just ONE team, everyone else is fighting for the spots from 2nd down, with Dortmund mostly the strongest challenger. The RedBull franchise network is a Man City light reincarnation, they are exceptionally well run and have a clear vision on what their philosophy is, because of this the new guy is likely to do as well as Naglesman or at least be in that ballpark. (Naglesman was the guy I wanted 2yrs ago when we ditched Poch, I think he's brilliant!!!).

What's odd is you don't see or chose not to acknowledge Fonseca's back to back Doubles, achieved at the dominant side financially in that league but they haven't won prior to his arrival and haven't done so since he left!!! Worth also noting that this was all done playing all their games thousands of miles away from their City owing to the troubles in the country. He also knocked out City in the CL, then at Roma got them to a European semi-final too. He's won more than Nagglesman!

Feel free to argue the semantics surrounding the two different leagues they've played in all you like, nothing can be proved or disproved because how do you measure the two?

This isn't me staking a claim for him in his favour, I can't do this because just like the vast majority of people on here and the wider Spurs fanbase we know fuck all about him. Because of this, it's just bizarre to take such a firm stance against someone and then hunt hard for everything you possibly can to assert what you think is shit rather than look at what is potentially good about him. I can't get my head around why you would do that.

Was mega keen on Ten Hag - even Alegri
Ok, thanks. I was keen on Potter, probably mostly because I followed him close at Östersund. Saw a lot of games, lots of interviews and so on. Many of my best friends are Östersund supporters. I was ok with Ten Hag. And I think Fonzie is in the same mold as those two. And that makes me fine with him to.

Last edited:
Agree and shame that didn’t apply to Jose but yes I’ll get behind whoever we appoint
I agree. I gave Jose support until the end, I gave Porch support until the Bayern disaster then I had enough. I will give whoever is the next manager the same support.

I wish the majority of fans did the same to bring some positivity and optimism to the forum.

What bit?

You've already confirmed that you didn't watch Roma in Serie A. Know very little about Fonseca as confirmed in posts we had between us a few days ago.

Are you saying the stats in the diagram are a fraud or didn't happen? Or that if if you think they are accurate that Brighton should be placed higher in the chart due to a glitch?

I have done a lot of research on him so it is false that I don't know very little about him.

Keeping king and mason for pure nepotism is another levy master class. I don’t give a fuck how much of a good player they were. Or how one of our own they are. We need competent people in the staff. Mason is all about his mates. And ledley, I don’t wanna be harsh, but we were shambolic defensively and that’s his part of the train and he just came on an article saying that Eric calamity dier should had gone to the euros. What the fuck was he talking about? It’s absolute madness what’s happening in this football club. This is peak West Ham stuff

The German League is dominated by just ONE team, everyone else is fighting for the spots from 2nd down, with Dortmund mostly the strongest challenger. The RedBull franchise network is a Man City light reincarnation, they are exceptionally well run and have a clear vision on what their philosophy is, because of this the new guy is likely to do as well as Naglesman or at least be in that ballpark. (Naglesman was the guy I wanted 2yrs ago when we ditched Poch, I think he's brilliant!!!).

What's odd is you don't see or chose not to acknowledge Fonseca's back to back Doubles, achieved at the dominant side financially in that league but they haven't won prior to his arrival and haven't done so since he left!!! Worth also noting that this was all done playing all their games thousands of miles away from their City owing to the troubles in the country. He also knocked out City in the CL, then at Roma got them to a European semi-final too. He's won more than Nagglesman!

Feel free to argue the semantics surrounding the two different leagues they've played in all you like, nothing can be proved or disproved because how do you measure the two?

This isn't me staking a claim for him in his favour, I can't do this because just like the vast majority of people on here and the wider Spurs fanbase we know fuck all about him. Because of this, it's just bizarre to take such a firm stance against someone and then hunt hard for everything you possibly can to assert what you think is shit rather than look at what is potentially good about him. I can't get my head around why you would do that.
Before Fonseca arrived Shahktar had won 9 of the previous 13 Ukranian titles. Its a Celtic and Rangers situation. Its like saying Neil Lennon should be concidered a decent managerial appointment with us because he won 5 titles and 5 domestic cups. Shahkter have never knocked Man City out of the champions league, they beat them once in a group game but also had 3-0 and 6-0 defeats against them in other years. I'm not sure i understand the argument that we don't know much about him, like any potential manager you look at their record, longevity at clubs, whether they will attract players etc and form an opinion. I know nothing about the Cowley brothers but i'd know how i'd feel about them getting offered the job. I'm not saying he'll be terrible, he might be a Jol, he might be a Gross, just the we should be looking for something better

Ahhhh. 8 see Igula Igula has proceeded to stage 2 of his poor forum behaviour: going through many random posts of mine and disagreeing. Way to hit me where it hurts.

Stage 3 comes next: puts me on ignore and creates a multi to give foul votes and more dislikes.

So predictable.

LOL

What are you talking about I didn't do that at all. Now you are resorting to lying, you are an odd poster.

I promise you I don't care about you nearly enough to give a damn, however I do know someone who has done what you are claiming.

I have done a lot of research on him so it is false that I don't know very little about him.
If you would have done a lot of research on him then please can you post and share the shit stuff that has given you such a closed view on him?

Ever since the links I've been reading up on him (because as you know I know fuck all about him), how he plays, what he's done, what he's had contended with at the teams he's managed and it's overwhelmingly possessive. The only negative stuff I've found was early on in his managerial career.

You went into your research with a negative opinion from the start so that will change how you view facts and stories.

Also researching means fuck all compared to people's opinions who actually watched his teams live.

You disregard xG, created chances stats or anything positive but you believe in your "research" and now you're suddenly suited to make a better opinion without watching him in live action?

Just stop being a negative fan and give the man a chance.

If you would have done a lot of research on him then please can you post and share the shit stuff that has given you such a closed view on him?

Ever since the links I've been reading up on him (because as you know I know fuck all about him), how he plays, what he's done, what he's had contended with at the teams he's managed and it's overwhelmingly possessive. The only negative stuff I've found was early on in his managerial career.

I focused mainly on his time at Roma because it is his most recent job and the job that is most similar to our position in terms of size of the club and their position in the league relative to the other teams.

At Roma his teams poor defense was down largely to his set up and tactics, not because the players were set up well and just kept making individual errors. What concerns me most about his play is that it seems to be very one way not a lot of adjustments in the style against different teams and/or to account for injuries. It gave me Brenton vibes and how he handled Leicester late in the season the last two seasons, When playing the weaker teams they were able to maintain possession easier which suits them but against the bigger teams they could not and I didn't see an adjustment to account for this. Maybe I caught him on his bad games, maybe it is something that he is going to work on, but I don't think we are a club where a manager should be working on major flaws in his approach.

If you saw things that explain his teams poor performance in Roma, feel free to post them, not just a graph that has zero context and doesn't show what did or didn't happen to lead to it. For me that graph shows that they created chances, which I don't deny but there doesn't seem to be much evidence that they didn;t capitalize enough on those chances or that he is likely to increase his point total by coming here and gaining something he didn't have at Roma.

You went into your research with a negative opinion from the start so that will change how you view facts and stories.

Also researching means fuck all compared to people's opinions who actually watched his teams live.

You disregard xG, created chances stats or anything positive but you believe in your "research" and now you're suddenly suited to make a better opinion without watching him in live action?

Just stop being a negative fan and give the man a chance.

The first sentence is possible, but I don't disregard people who have watched him, there isn't a ton of positive reviews there either. There is a reason his name is not well known, he wasn't mentioned by many people as a good candidate for this or any job.

I don't disregard xG his Roma team created chances and scored goals, what I do dispute is that they were unlucky and that it should have resulted in a higher finish up the table. They seem to have finished pretty much right where they should have based on watching them play, reading about them and people's opinion on them.

Its not being negative to point out the realities of the coach coming in and pointing on concerns has nothing to do with giving him a chance or not.

Before Fonseca arrived Shahktar had won 9 of the previous 13 Ukranian titles. Its a Celtic and Rangers situation. Its like saying Neil Lennon should be concidered a decent managerial appointment with us because he won 5 titles and 5 domestic cups. Shahkter have never knocked Man City out of the champions league, they beat them once in a group game but also had 3-0 and 6-0 defeats against them in other years. I'm not sure i understand the argument that we don't know much about him, like any potential manager you look at their record, longevity at clubs, whether they will attract players etc and form an opinion. I know nothing about the Cowley brothers but i'd know how i'd feel about them getting offered the job. I'm not saying he'll be terrible, he might be a Jol, he might be a Gross, just the we should be looking for something better
I know about Shakhtar, but prior to his arrival those years you refer to when they failed to win the league were the seasons prior to his arrival and when he left they have failed to win it again, make of that what you will. My take is he was largely responsible for the two League Titles.

My original question to you was who do Spurs "deserve" as our manager?

What attracts players is defined on what we pay them. Willian didn't go to Chelsea because of Jose, he went there because they agreed to pay him more money, that and the two Russian oligarch owners agreed that Eto (the highest-paid footballer in the World at that time) should also be bought as well). Wijnaldum and Mane went to Liverpool, not because of Klopp but because they were both offered bigger wages.

I focused mainly on his time at Roma because it is his most recent job and the job that is most similar to our position in terms of size of the club and their position in the league relative to the other teams.

At Roma his teams poor defense was down largely to his set up and tactics, not because the players were set up well and just kept making individual errors. What concerns me most about his play is that it seems to be very one way not a lot of adjustments in the style against different teams and/or to account for injuries. It gave me Brenton vibes and how he handled Leicester late in the season the last two seasons, When playing the weaker teams they were able to maintain possession easier which suits them but against the bigger teams they could not and I didn't see an adjustment to account for this. Maybe I caught him on his bad games, maybe it is something that he is going to work on, but I don't think we are a club where a manager should be working on major flaws in his approach.

If you saw things that explain his teams poor performance in Roma, feel free to post them, not just a graph that has zero context and doesn't show what did or didn't happen to lead to it. For me that graph shows that they created chances, which I don't deny but there doesn't seem to be much evidence that they didn;t capitalize enough on those chances or that he is likely to increase his point total by coming here and gaining something he didn't have at Roma.
Please can you have the courtesy of linking these articles you have gained this information from?

I've posted numerous articles about him, Twitter threads as have others. You've posted fuck all, if you are reading anything different from the rest of us please shear it? But I suspect you've been reading exactly the same as all of us.

Please can you have the courtesy of linking these articles you have gained this information from?

I've posted numerous articles about him, Twitter threads as have others. You've posted fuck all, if you are reading anything different from the rest of us please shear it? But I suspect you've been reading exactly the same as all of us.

It has mainly just been game reviews to get the sense if people felt like Roma deserved more or if there was something missing that didn't show up in the stats or highlights.

Did not se anything about them being unlucky or that they should have scored more/let in less which matches what I have seen from the games.

You have posted numerous articles and not one have said anything to indicate that he would be a good manager.

The videos and the games are likely the same that you have seen, I have never claimed I have a secret stash of information I am just using the information out there to make a reasonable assessment of the guy, not one which is based on wearing rose colored glasses because he is now announced as Tottenham manager.

Back
Top Bottom