Paulo Fonseca (Poll Added)

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

How do you feel about this appointment

• Like it.

Votes: 22 5.4%
  • Hate it.

Votes: 90 22.1%
  • Wait and see.

Votes: 217 53.2%
  • I quit.

Votes: 79 19.4%

• Total voters
Well at least levy has gone out and made a statement that will not only convince Kane to stay , but others to join our squad as we look to dominate English and European football! :tobyarm:

West ham rejects

That seems to be our level of aspiration these days

Tragic stuff

Anyone for Carlton Cole as Kane's replacement ?
GIF by West Ham United

so what! the clubs been a joke for the last 30 years and its highlighted if that proven loser is the best manager from that timescale.

what did he actually do? finished 3rd in a 2 horse race and bottled a champions league final? to which he stumbled into by fluke thanks to vertonghen head injury in the first leg and lucas moura having the game of his life...for which he was rewarded by being dropped for an injured kane to jump back into VVD's pocket again. absolute melt of a bloke! hes the reason weve had little brats like winks and dele overstaying their welcome by years and putting us in this pathetic mess we are in right now.

cant believe how lightly he got away with flirting with the united job. he should of been instantly binned from that, shouldnt of allowed the proven loser to then go a year without winning away.

Bottled a champions league final? Liverpool where clearly a better stronger team of players who deserved to win that year. If we where a stronger outfit and collapsed at 85 mins then yes we bottled but we didn’t we got beaten by the better side.

Poch isn’t perfect but the tune he got out of players like Rose, Dembele, Eriksen who had all failed under AVB/Sherwood while playing decent football was a joy to watch and we have never played at the level we played at in the last season of WHL where we didn’t lose a single game and crushed most teams that came. If you couldnt enjoy us nearly winning the league and Europe on shit money not sure how you are hoping to stomach the rest of our existence.

No Conte, Pep or Klopp even if they came here is going to win the league, not with our money or how Levy runs the club. Our ownership doesn’t care about winning, never have it’s why both Poch and Redknapp when they got close to the top where never backed till it was to late. We won’t be getting a manager of Poch’s abilities for a while, probably not even Redknapp’s for a while.

so what! the clubs been a joke for the last 30 years and its highlighted if that proven loser is the best manager from that timescale.

what did he actually do? finished 3rd in a 2 horse race and bottled a champions league final? to which he stumbled into by fluke thanks to vertonghen head injury in the first leg and lucas moura having the game of his life...for which he was rewarded by being dropped for an injured kane to jump back into VVD's pocket again. absolute melt of a bloke! hes the reason weve had little brats like winks and dele overstaying their welcome by years and putting us in this pathetic mess we are in right now.

cant believe how lightly he got away with flirting with the united job. he should of been instantly binned from that, shouldnt of allowed the proven loser to then go a year without winning away.

The Office Reaction GIF

Bottled a champions league final? Liverpool where clearly a better stronger team of players who deserved to win that year. If we where a stronger outfit and collapsed at 85 mins then yes we bottled but we didn’t we got beaten by the better side.

Poch isn’t perfect but the tune he got out of players like Rose, Dembele, Eriksen who had all failed under AVB/Sherwood while playing decent football was a joy to watch and we have never played at the level we played at in the last season of WHL where we didn’t lose a single game and crushed most teams that came. If you couldnt enjoy us nearly winning the league and Europe on shit money not sure how you are hoping to stomach the rest of our existence.

No Conte, Pep or Klopp even if they came here is going to win the league, not with our money or how Levy runs the club. Our ownership doesn’t care about winning, never have it’s why both Poch and Redknapp when they got close to the top where never backed till it was to late. We won’t be getting a manager of Poch’s abilities for a while, probably not even Redknapp’s for a while.
not having the bottle to drop an injured kane in the final is bottling it imo. the same kane who has never had any joy out of van dijk while hes played for liverpool.

what fan thought that was a good idea? not to mention lucas just come off the game of his life his confidence was through the roof.

Who got injured?
And if he did a good job, why was he sacked?
Dzeko
Mkitharian
Pedro
Zaniolo
Mirante
Calafiori
Ibanez
Santon

He wasn't sacked, his contract ended. And the new owners came in that I guess wanted to show ambition and has fallen for "The special one" bullshit. By October they will want Fonseca back.

Last edited:
OK - and GestiFute is Mendes.

So Mendes couldn't be bothered to turn up to a meeting where Roma's owners were going to sack his client Fonseca????

And sent Marco Abreu instead????

I'm sure Mendes would have personally driven the negotiations around the appointment of his client Mourinho.
Seems like Mendes rules the roost at Spurs and Wolves and Roma at present representing both their current (should we get Fonseca) and previous managers.

So scan their list of players to see future transfer targets.

Our issue last season had a lot to do with the manager. The squad as well, but the manager did a woeful job. Agree with everything else you've said.
While a more proactive manager may have got us playing a better brand of football I just wonder how long it would have lasted with this squad. The same squad that downed tools for Poch and then Mourinho.

I think we have fallen off a cliff physically and actually don't have the legs right now to play the high intensity style all the top teams are currently playing. It's also why we fell to pieces last season against any high pressing side. We have too many dumb/technically limited players so the speed of thought and execution isn't there and also too many slow/unfit players generally. A manager alone can not fix that.

It's why I think this rebuild will take a few years as we effectively need about 10 new signings and 10 sales before we can think about challenging for any meaningful honours.

For those thinking that anyone here knows what the fuck they're talking about...

Look at basically every player/manager post. It's all negative shit for the first X pages.

At TFC, just shit on everybody and then if they are bad you can say "I told you so" and if they are good no one will care because we are doing well.

Good article on Fonseca

These quotes from Roma players give me some encouragment. At least they think Fonseca is a good coach, even when he not's picking them on a regular basis.

------------------------

His players do appear to forge a strong connection with him. Henrikh Mkhitaryan, who played for Fonseca at Roma and also under a certain current Chelsea boss at Borussia Dortmund, believes there is a comparison to be made there.
""He is similar to [Thomas] Tuchel, he is trying to put the players in the right position, giving them the freedom to enjoy their style of play," said the midfielder.
"I've had the best coaches in my career and I've learned a lot not only about the game of football, but also about life. Even now that I am 32 years old I want to learn, because I want to know a lot about football and about life."
On Fonseca's style of play, he added: "We play differently depending on who we face, especially when we have the ball. Sometimes we have to stay tight, other times we have to stay wide. It depends on the game and the situation.
"It's not about the position you start the game in, it's about the space. We try to use the space to create opportunities for ourselves and for our teammates. The most important thing is the chemistry between the players, because if you have chemistry you can do different things
Even long-serving Roma full-back Alessandro Florenzi, who found game time hard to come by under Fonseca, said: "That's something that's fundamental for me, respect for people and their work. The coach was very clear about this.
"Fonseca is one of the greatest coaches I've had in football. The problem is that he might not like me in that particular role and that he expects something else from me. I have a great relationship with him and he clearly told me that he didn't know how much space he could give me."
Fonseca, who speaks good English, has previously admitted he dreams of working in the Premier League.
One key point for Tottenham and Levy will be that praise for the Portuguese from outside of his clubs often centres on him making the best he can from what he's got.
Former Milan midfielder Massimo Ambrosini said this season of Fonseca's Roma: "I like the calmness, the balance, the desire to always try to lead the games. Last year he had the ability to compact the environment with the many injuries. He didn't manage to put his work into practice in full, but he deserved to be reappointed.
"He's a modern coach, he doesn't focus on a single idea, he tries to make the most of what he has available. I still think Roma are very strong. They're well built."
Fonseca also enjoys developing younger players, having given Diogo Jota his debut as a teenager at Portuguese side Pacos de Ferreira, and he has never been afraid of using younger talents at any of his sides, which could bode well for the likes of Oliver Skipp and Ryan Sessegnon next season.

Parking for now that Spam appointed Pellegrini ahead of Fonseca back in 2018, I was surprised to learn that Mendes was Fonseca's agent.
Because that would mean Mendes had moved his client Mourinho into the job his client Fonseca was doing at Roma.
So I had a look and found this from May 2021:

Roma’s owners, Dan and Ryan Friedkin, along with General Director Tiago Pinto, met at the club’s training facility just before lunch-time with Fonseca and his agent, Marco Abreu, for nearly an hour.

So unless we learn that Marco Abreu's company are part of the Mendes empire, it looks like Fonseca has switched agent away from Jorge Mendes.

https://romapress.net/fonseca-and-his-agent-meet-with-romas-ownership/
Mendes does have a mega empire so the new guy could well be part of the group

Fuck it I'm onboard, fully Zoro'd up.

I know next to nothing about this bloke so I can't hold anything against him until I've seen us play/ start to re-build the team.

I'll reserve my resentment for the man responsible for this mess in the first place :levystare:

Your conclusion of jose time here is a little warped.

Firstly imagine being micro managed for the 1st year of your new employment, with not only levy office located nearby, but amazon, looking for juicy tid bits.

1.Then at the start of the season a unfit bale, ndombele still not upto speed, and issue with le celso.

2. A collection of defenders who can not defend and players who are not savvy enough to play many formations.

3. Now lets add how many games, were lost by rickets by our own players, dier, holberg, sergio, toby, i could go on.

Jose's tactics till december had us around top of the table, even on the back of my number three statement, once Jose moved ndombele to partner holberg, to help improve our general play and build up, it all fell apart.

watch how jose will employ xhaka, if roma gets him - Deep lying playmaker ala 'xabi alonso', 'ballack', 'fabregas', liverpools 'tiago'.

4. To lose against zagreb, is a reflection of the playing squad, as the players should be savvy enough to manage and see out games, watch the champions league final again, to understand my point, which chelsea won using jose 2010 tactic and the infamous low block.
Some decent points there, he's not at sole fault.

I thought from the very start of the season, even games we won vs WBA, Brighton and Burnley, we played dreadfully, probably 5/6 games aside over the course of the season. I think Jose's methods have been left firmly in a previous decade. I don't think the work was done on the training ground to ensure we had patterns to move the ball from back to front, to work the ball intelligently against a team sitting in, little movement off the ball. Very basic passive mid/low block and try to work Kane into a bit of space was about the extent of it. Some games made decent use of Reguilon. We just looked like a poorly coached team, despite having plenty of ability in the side. I think he probably lost a very important cog in his coaching machine when he and Rio Faria parted ways.

Back
Top Bottom