Paulo Fonseca (Poll Added)

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

How do you feel about this appointment

• Like it.

Votes: 22 5.4%
  • Hate it.

Votes: 90 22.1%
  • Wait and see.

Votes: 217 53.2%
  • I quit.

Votes: 79 19.4%

• Total voters
I blamed him when he made the hire, but every indication is that this is a Paratici move so Paratici deserves the blame.

I am so tired of people not blaming others for their mistakes just because someone else also sucks.

Paratici doesn’t get a pass just because he works for Levy. If he does something wrong he should be called out.
Come on man ffs! Do you not understand why Paratici was hired? Do you think hiring a DOF is a genuine attempt at making us a competitive football team? Genuinely improving us?

It's bollocks! It's a way for Levy to continue calling the shots and having a fall guy to take the blame, let's not be led down this trap again.

I blame Paratici but I think the main blame should be placed at the feet of the man who hired him, the man who constantly dodges the bullet and never suffers the consequences for his failures time and time again.

Levy should lose HIS job, he should be held accountable.

Both statements. A poor record? He took from a shite Montella side with Borini and Suso as wingers and got them 2 points off Atalanta in 3rd with AC Milan. Then he took a disfunctional Napoli, and towards the later stages of the Serie A, he had one of the most in-form sides in Italy alongside Inter. Also, watch his 5-2 win over Lazio, against a highly-rated coach like Simone Inzaghi, and watch how his wingers completely dismantle Lazio over and over again. The only thing I'm concerned about is Jorge Mendes, but when it comes to Gattuso as coach, he's a much, MUCH better appointment than Fonseca.
At this point we’re getting to hear that Big Sam is an incredible manager and he was really unfortunate not to win the world cup with England and Premier League with West Brom when we inevitably get linked with him

Napoli academy is trash. Insigne is the only top player they formed in god knows how many years. They don’t invest in that.
Yeah probably. I mean that players that come from Naples, or Southern-Italy in general are incredible, because they're street-coached not academy products (Insigne, Quagliarella etc.)

I wonder how many clubs won't even pick up the phone when he calls, because he's been such a pain to deal with?

He probably thinks he's being clever but all he's doing is putting off coaches and players from wanting anything to do with our club.
He’s got absolutely no loyalty or professional honour at all.

It was Levy who hired Paratici, he could have gone for Rangnick or Campos or someone else and all this hiring then not hiring then cutting off is very Levy like. If Paratici is doing this then he has Levy traits.

Sure but do we have to mention that every time one of his hires makes a dumb mistake?

Does every bad Gattuso sub need to be preferenced by a comment about how Levy hired him? Isn't saying Levy fucked this club up, has handled it poorly, is a cancer that needs to be removed enough and then we can talk about the individual decisions of those he hired based on those decisions?

I am Levy out have been for years, but the need for some people to constantly make everything about him and pass the blame from those that deserve it is annoying.

Every indication is that this is a move by Paratici so he should get blame, if I don't mention Levy hired Paratici it doesn't mean I am giving Levy a pass for what he has done or am now Levy In, it just means that everything doesn't have to be about Levy every minute of every day.

He didn't get top 4 with either AC Milan or Napoli, not great. For his other clubs, he didn't seem to be successful.
AC Milan was a mess up until 2020. Nobody expect them to get CL football. It's a case of too many changes too fast. They even planned to get Rangnick in (agrees to join too), but then the team settled and they just said no thanks to him. Gattuso didn't succeed, but didn't really fail at Milan.

Gattuso won Coppa Italy with Napoli. Not be able to get into top 4 but it's close run. The main causes of him getting sacked is the strained relationship with the chairman. Compare to Fonseca, Gattuso looks more decent coach.

Not saying I like the idea of Gattuso managing us. Just point out context and how deluded the apologists have been regarding Fonseca when he's in pole position for our job. Between Gattuso and Fonseca, you don't need to be an expert to see who is better.

Last edited:
So there's a club without CL money whose owner is notoriously "budget-conscious" (😬).
There's also a hot-headed manager who doesn't take any shit from anyone and has no qualms leaving a club just after getting hired, probably because the money wouldn't be there to get the players he demanded...

Now this club wants to sign this manager, I'm struggling to see the logic here, from either side 🧐

A lot of mixed messages all of the sudden. First it was financial and tax related and now some reporting that it had nothing to do with that.

Sounds like Fonseca is also responsible for the breakdown. He doesn’t want to relinquish a certain tax saving, which he would by travelling to the UK, so wants to do Zoom stuff until 10th July.

If that doesn’t work for us, we have every right to walk away. This is elite sport, and preseason days are vitally important.

Sure but do we have to mention that every time one of his hires makes a dumb mistake?

Does every bad Gattuso sub need to be preferenced by a comment about how Levy hired him? Isn't saying Levy fucked this club up, has handled it poorly, is a cancer that needs to be removed enough and then we can talk about the individual decisions of those he hired based on those decisions?

I am Levy out have been for years, but the need for some people to constantly make everything about him and pass the blame from those that deserve it is annoying.

Every indication is that this is a move by Paratici so he should get blame, if I don't mention Levy hired Paratici it doesn't mean I am giving Levy a pass for what he has done or am now Levy In, it just means that everything doesn't have to be about Levy every minute of every day.

Well at the moment we have no idea if it’s Levy or Paratici but the sudden change in plans last minute and screwing someone over is classic Levy so if it isn’t him then Paratici is behaving like Levy.

Mum can we have conte?
But son we have conte at home

conte at home

Well Done Ok GIF by ElevenSportsBE

:levylol:

Well at the moment we have no idea if it’s Levy or Paratici but the sudden change in plans last minute and screwing someone over is classic Levy so if it isn’t him then Paratici is behaving like Levy.

When Marotta left and Paratici took over his first hire was a terrible fit in Sarri who last a year and then was fired. His next hire was a terrible fit in Pirlo who almost couldn't manage the team because he didn't have his badges and was fired after a year.

To me this seems to fit perfectly from what we have seen from Paratici once he was given full control.

I also have a hard time believing that we have now been linked to two Serie A coaches once Paratici came into the picture and that was all Levy and just a coincidence that Paratici coming from Serie A came at the exact same time.

Look at the sides he was up against. His Milan side had no business being near top 4, it was a mid-table side at best. At Napoli he won Coppa Italia, regurarly matched up against the best Italian sides (something that Fonseca was NOTORIOUSLY bad at), and towards the end had one of the best sides in Italy.
But, but, but... what's his xG?

comedy central GIF by Another Period

Sounds like Fonseca is also responsible for the breakdown. He doesn’t want to relinquish a certain tax saving, which he would by travelling to the UK, so wants to do Zoom stuff until 10th July.

If that doesn’t work for us, we have every right to walk away. This is elite sport, and preseason days are vitally important.

We were paying Jose, I believe, 15MM/year and the reports were that Fonseca was going to get a salary of 2-4MM if I recall correctly. I can't see how this would have been a major hang-up if he was the right person for the job.

We were paying Jose, I believe, 15MM/year and the reports were that Fonseca was going to get a salary of 2-4MM if I recall correctly. I can't see how this would have been a major hang-up if he was the right person for the job.
Ignore what I said. Looks like it was nothing to do with finances.

Just us being dildos.

You may feel bad for Fonseca for getting baited hooked sinkered, and question Gattuso credibility; but the decision to choose a higher rated coach is at least sensible. Choosing Fonseca for our situation made no sense to begin with.

Back
Top Bottom