Pelé

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

A world perhaps without Pele and Maradona. The great names of 20th century football gone.
Not to start a long list but I'd add Johan Cruijff to that list. Those 3 were not just great geniuses as football players but also had "great" personalities as all 3 kept on affecting football after their careers had ended...

Not to start a long list but I'd add Johan Cruijff to that list. Those 3 were not just great geniuses as football players but also had "great" personalities as all 3 kept on affecting football after their careers had ended...
Cruyff/Cruijff is most definitely on that list, imo. Very different from the two mentioned as he was more of a 'football intellectual' (they are all genuises/genuii or whatever the word is).

Cruyff didn't have the same global popularity but probably has the greater legacy, in terms of his style of play (admittedly mentored by Rinus Micheals) and I also think, perhaps a tad controversially, that not coming 'from the ghetto' and being perceived as more, white/western Europe also had some influence on him not having the same global 'popularity' as the other two, who are perceived (and were) as playing football from the streets.

He's still my all-time football hero, bar none.

Last edited:
His tenure with Ajax, Netherlands and Barcelona will make him one of the most influential people in football. An influence still felt today.
IMHO, Michels and Clough are the two greatest managers in football — though for very different reasons.
Yes, agreed.

The difference between managers who win things, and managers who win things and leave some sort of legacy/style is an important distinction.

As an example, Ferguson was a great manager, winning trophies galore with 3 rebuilt sides but his legacy is, I think, only left for the PL or even more specifically, Manchester United. But the absolute greats change the way we think about football.

Cruyff/Cruijff is most definitely on that list, imo. Very different from the two mentioned as he was more of a 'football intellectual' (they are all genuises/genuii or whatever the word is).

Cruyff didn't have the same global popularity but probably has the greater legacy, in terms of his style of play (admittedly mentored by Rinus Micheals) and I also think, perhaps a tad controversially, that not coming 'from the ghetto' and being perceived as more, white/western Europe also had some influence on him not having the same global 'popularity' as the other two, who are perceived (and were) as playing football from the streets.

He's still my all-time football hero, bar none.
Listen to Pep talking about Cruyff. He was the evangelist.

Is there a member of this forum who has seen a match Pele played in, on tv live, but other than the 1970 world cup?

Mick Cooper Mick Cooper and Bazali Bazali were both 40 at the time, pretty sure they say watched him back in 1970
I was twelve in 1970, you asinine half wit.
I did watch him play in the 70 world cup (on TV) and I also watched him play for Santos in a friendly match at Hillsborough in 1971/72, bunked off school with a load of Wednesday fans to watch the game. Had some of the other WC winners as well, Carlos Alberto IIRC.
Got a major bollocking from my dad, for coming home late, it was fucking cold.

Brazil icon Pele showing 'progressive improvement' after having a respiratory infection treated at hospital... with the​

82-year-old 'stable, conscious and showing no further complications' at a Sao Paulo hospital​

By KIERAN LYNCH FOR MAILONLINE

PUBLISHED: 17:10 GMT, 6 December 2022 | UPDATED: 20:48 GMT, 6 December 2022

Pele is showing signs of 'progressive improvement' after being treated for a respiratory infection at a hospital in Sao Paulo.
Brazilian publication Globo have reported that the legendary figure's condition is improving after he was taken to hospital for tests.
They add that the 82-year-old is showing 'stable signs, is 'conscious' and is 'without further complications.'

Back
Top Bottom