Pierre-Emile Højbjerg

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

I thought he was great for the role he is meant to do. He is extremely strong in the tackle and wins possession back often. The issue is he looks crap when other mids around him are not creative or dynamic.

Unfair to lambast this guy based on one performance. But from a system/tactical standpoint, I don’t really know what Mourinho wants him to do. Him and Sissoko on the pitch at the same time looked dreadfully uncomfortable. For his confidence, I hope he finds his feet quickly.

Are you joking? Hojbjerg? How many defensive midfielders who can’t pass do we need? Shurely we’re overstocked there. Sissoko, Dier, how may do we need?
We have two incredibly important cm roles that need to be filled

Left sided - players who can't run, Ndombele and Wanyamas.
Right sided - players who can't pass, Winks, PEH, Sissoko

Just need a few more left sided ones to complete the squad...

He wasn't much of a problem today in fact, done a very good job in the defensive role, as it was suppost to be his function. He's not good with the ball, think all of us knew about that, so will need a creative player, that's Lo Celso or Ndombele, playing by his side.

He was shit. Just like the rest of them. Re watched the game to make sure I wasn’t being overly cunty. We were fucking awful. And this bloke was as bad as it gets. Poor decision making. Poor distribution. He was rank

He was shit. Just like the rest of them. Re watched the game to make sure I wasn’t being overly cunty. We were fucking awful. And this bloke was as bad as it gets. Poor decision making. Poor distribution. He was rank
Fair play to you mate. Anyone who re-watched that game has earned my utmost respect.

Last edited:
He looked really nervous. He has to adapt quickly to the pressure that comes with playing for a bigger club, this is not Southampton. Quite incredible how he looked so robust for them but pull on our shirt and he's mistiming his tackles and letting people walk past him.

Just a second Winks. Another player to take the easy way out every time.

Here's a piece of commentary we should get used to

"Winks, back to Hojberg, back to Alderweireld and the attack breaks down"

He looked really nervous. He has to adapt quickly to the pressure that comes with playing for a bigger club, this is not Southampton. Quite incredible how he looked so robust for them but pull on our shirt and he's mistiming his tackles and letting people walk past him.
He’s been in the prem for a while I’m certain Jose brought him in for veteran leadership

He looked really nervous.
Probably because he already knows that the task is too big for him (as if he was gonna sort out our midfield mess, some media were already comparing him to prime Matic ffs); the expectations at Southampton were pretty low and he was among their 'best' players, for a club like Spurs he should be a squad player at best.

He might be a great talker, but he is also a strictly average footballer.

Last edited:
A breakdown of PEH's debut from Ally Gold

He's also one of those chaps who clatter someone and then acts as if he's been shot by a sniper when he realises the referee is approaching. Some of the rolling around on the pitch and screaming after his second half late tackle that brought a yellow card were Oscar-worthy.

Hojbjerg had no such issues with his fitness and was certainly the busiest man on the pitch for Tottenham. He completed more passes than his team-mates, with 68 of his 74 successful, had the second most ball recoveries with nine and second most tackles won with four.

However, the issue with his performance perhaps lay in the fact that he completed the most attacking third passes in the team with 16 of his 19 attempts.

That last part is most concerning

Still makes me laugh that people think being a good speaker with a good attitude automatically means a good signing

They still need to be able to kick a football well for 90 mins

Great soundbites count for nothing on the pitch

One game in so he obviously deserves time but having seen plenty of games from him in the past I am fairly confident in saying that what we saw yesterday is pretty much what we will get on a regular basis

Another winks

Back
Top Bottom