Player Assessment Thread

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Suitable for Pochs pressing system IMO.

Suitable

Lloris
Vorm
Walker
Dier
Verts
Rose
Mason
Bentaleb
Eriksen
Kane

Not sure

Yedlin
Davies
Fazio
Dembele
Chadli
Lamela
Chriches

Not suited

Paulinho
Capoue
Kaboul
Ade
Soldado
Stambouli
Townsend

GK: Lloris, Vorm
LB: Rose, Davies
CB: Vertonghen, Fazio, Dier, Howedes
RB: Yedlin, Walker (Unless he massively improves, he should be nowhere near the first team)
DM: Bentaleb, New DM
CM: Mason, New CM to replace Mason (Dream would be Schneiderlin/Moutinho kind of player)
AM: Eriksen, Pritchard
LW: Chadli, New winger to replace Chadli in the first team
RW: Townsend, New first team winger
ST: Kane, Lacazette, Youngster from the academy

Sell : Kaboul, Chiriches, Dembele (not worth keeping as a squad player), Stambouli (clearly not in Poch's plans), Capoue, Paulinho, Lamela, Lennon, Soldado, Ade.

Buy : Starting 11 CM (Think this is the most important signing), Starting 11 LW and RW (Need clear improvements on the wing), Starting 11 CD and striker to compete with Kane.

Lot of changes, but we need to do this so that atleast in a year's time we no longer can be in a transition year and have a proper squad that has played with each other for at least a year.

Sell 5 or 6 players.
Replace them too late to give the new players a pre-season.
Use this as an excuse for them performing badly.
Sack the manager
New manager comes in.
First season disappointing, but give him time.
Sell 5 or 6 players.
Replace them too late to give the new players a pre-season.
Ad nauseam.

:levyeyes:

I think Poch has been talking about hitting the transfer window quick and hard. We have a good number of players we don't use so obviously a lot of sales.

I am hoping with Mitchell we have scouted well this time and are ready to snap up some bargains. Our top 4 challenge next year seems entirely dependent on a brilliant transfer window. Fingers crossed.
Yep, I think it may be rather different to what most people expect. Will depend on sales though...

Think some of these scores are a little off.

• I'd give Jan a 6.5, if that. For a senior defensive partner I think he's done pretty poor. Look at our goal record.
  • Dier, for his age, has been good but from an objective stand point has had some awful games. 6.5.
  • Lamela a 6. He's made progress, perhaps not as much as we want but still a decent return for his 1st season.
  • I think Chadli has been better for us this season than Eriksen. Deserves at least a 7.5, considering his personal tragedy and early performances. I think he has potential to improve a lot too, easy to forget he's only 25. Hope he stays for the long term; one of the best midfielders in the league this year.
  • Stambouli has barely had any game time, that's something to bear in mind. Think a 5 is harsh, one of the lowest scores in the squad?

With Dier I feel that with Verts and Walker being off form for a lot of the season he has had to put in some very brave performances not to mention being played at right back at times where he has done quite well. For me because of our season and the way it has panned out he has played exceptionally well considering the circumstances hence the high score, I also feel he is able to play a high line because of his pace so very happy with him.

Chadli is a weird one, he doesn't really fit the system in terms of defending and pressing but he does score important goals, I am happy with him playing as long as we don't have townsend on the other side as when both are on not pressing or defending well we lose shape in my view. Chadli to some degree is a luxury player that if used right can benefit us. Eriksen was fanatastic for part of the season but has tailed off, I don't like him in the middle at all, he gets bullied would prefer him slightly to the left or right so he has more room to operate.

Last edited:
If Ade is 2, then Soldado should get 1. Ade actually score more goals than him from open play in these 2 seasons.

I will probably give 4 for Lamela. Just feel he doesn't look much different from last season. If not for his price tag, he will probably also be on top of the to sell list.

It's all a matter of opinion but however you spin it ade and Bobby have been poor in their own ways.

wow you bunch of over negative cunts.
Fazio: Strong, alert, accident prone but so is everyone (People slag him off for him against Benteke, he'd just returned from injury against a striker bang in form) he is also a weak against pace if his CDMs leave him exposed. However he is so strong in the air by comparison to our other options I'd start for him the next season 7/10.

Paulinho: Y'all are going to disagree like fuck. What do we need? (Amongst other things) a deep lying midfielder. Does Paulinho have a confidence issue, you can bet your house on it. Is he currently the only CM with the ability to pass glorious passes forward? Yes. It may have only been Newcastle who's defence is 50 shades of shit but he showed with his passes up to Kane that if given the opportunity he can transfer with great accuracy up to the front. He passes into space as well, Dembele can't do this, Mason doesn't have the experience. Somewhere in that body of Paulinho is a real player. We're not going to get Moutinho or Modric but we need a player who sits back and can dictate play. A laughable suggestion for Paulinho now but if he got a proper pre-season under his belt I'd give him one more season. 3/10 (now) 8/10 (potentially)

Soldado: Good technical player, inside but we now have a much better alternative in Kane. I would have used him and Adebayor up top in a 4-4-2 in the cup competitions. Allow them to become a reliable Plan B. But we need to look towards the future without either him or Adebayor. 3/10

Chiriches: Another who has ability but is also shy of confidence. He took a battering under Sherwood during the drubbings against City, Liverpool, Chelsea last season and hasn't regained his form since that period. Don't forget how brilliant a partnership he formed for a while alongside Dawson for a period of 10 games last season. Still young for a centre back so wouldn't rush to throw him out the door. 4/10

Chadli: Cliché alert, but a Royals Royce of a player. On his day is unplayable (see Chelsea). Does he drift out of games? Yes, but does he also always maintain a threat? Yes. Frankly we have far more pressing concerns involving Lamela and Townsend. -1 for Stupid hair. 7/10

Davies: Okay he's properly shit, unlike all of the above I haven't even seen flashes that he's good enough. Saying that he's only a few months older than Yedlin so he needs more time to learn. If we had cover for Rose (which we don't unless we sign Howedes) then I'd loan him out. Wouldn't want to see him in the first xi for another 2/3 years. 2/10

Lamela: Wanted him to come good, but he's a melodramatic for my liking, and how many times can a player trip over themselves? If a good offer comes in for him let him go. However as it is unlikely that one will materialise I want him to have a transformation over the summer. I want a beard, I want him to ditch the mullet, to bulk up and to spend time on his sprinting with the ball. He looks like a boy and it is time he turned into a man. 2.5/10

wow you bunch of over negative cunts.
Fazio: Strong, alert, accident prone but so is everyone (People slag him off for him against Benteke, he'd just returned from injury against a striker bang in form) he is also a weak against pace if his CDMs leave him exposed. However he is so strong in the air by comparison to our other options I'd start for him the next season 7/10.

Paulinho: Y'all are going to disagree like fuck. What do we need? (Amongst other things) a deep lying midfielder. Does Paulinho have a confidence issue, you can bet your house on it. Is he currently the only CM with the ability to pass glorious passes forward? Yes. It may have only been Newcastle who's defence is 50 shades of shit but he showed with his passes up to Kane that if given the opportunity he can transfer with great accuracy up to the front. He passes into space as well, Dembele can't do this, Mason doesn't have the experience. Somewhere in that body of Paulinho is a real player. We're not going to get Moutinho or Modric but we need a player who sits back and can dictate play. A laughable suggestion for Paulinho now but if he got a proper pre-season under his belt I'd give him one more season. 3/10 (now) 8/10 (potentially)

Soldado: Good technical player, inside but we now have a much better alternative in Kane. I would have used him and Adebayor up top in a 4-4-2 in the cup competitions. Allow them to become a reliable Plan B. But we need to look towards the future without either him or Adebayor. 3/10

Chiriches: Another who has ability but is also shy of confidence. He took a battering under Sherwood during the drubbings against City, Liverpool, Chelsea last season and hasn't regained his form since that period. Don't forget how brilliant a partnership he formed for a while alongside Dawson for a period of 10 games last season. Still young for a centre back so wouldn't rush to throw him out the door. 4/10

Chadli: Cliché alert, but a Royals Royce of a player. On his day is unplayable (see Chelsea). Does he drift out of games? Yes, but does he also always maintain a threat? Yes. Frankly we have far more pressing concerns involving Lamela and Townsend. -1 for Stupid hair. 7/10

Davies: Okay he's properly shit, unlike all of the above I haven't even seen flashes that he's good enough. Saying that he's only a few months older than Yedlin so he needs more time to learn. If we had cover for Rose (which we don't unless we sign Howedes) then I'd loan him out. Wouldn't want to see him in the first xi for another 2/3 years. 2/10

Lamela: Wanted him to come good, but he's a melodramatic for my liking, and how many times can a player trip over themselves? If a good offer comes in for him let him go. However as it is unlikely that one will materialise I want him to have a transformation over the summer. I want a beard, I want him to ditch the mullet, to bulk up and to spend time on his sprinting with the ball. He looks like a boy and it is time he turned into a man. 2.5/10
Hang on Freudy, over negative cunts yet you value five out of seven players 4/10 or lower?
:llorisserious:

Thought it would be interesting to look at our current squad in terms of their performances this season, there suitability to Poch's system and style and as to whether they have a future with us and what future that will be.

Fazio

Performance: 7/10. Mixed.
Suitability: Not sure -Strong and experienced but gets caught on his toes and not the quickest.
Future: Good back up defender, needs to better mark the big players going forward.

7/10?
This pretty much sums up his deficiencies for me
pellegoal2_3280831b.jpg

Howdes
Schneiderlin / Moutinho type player
new DM
New 1st team LW
new 1st team RW
Lacazette

Way too much money there. It just won't happen unfortunately.
Lacazette would be a great signing, though with Kane, I wonder if we should focus on 'lesser' strikers that can compete and cover him. Not a big fan of him but Ings will save us some cash and is young and hungry to succeed.

Can't see Howedes leaving Schalke for us personally, though would be a great addition.
I think we only need one winger - I'd like to see Lamela, Chadli, Townsend, Pritchard + new next season, given the number of games we'll play. Some of them can play centrally so not bothered having 5.

Swap Lennon for McCarthy? :adegrin:

Back
Top Bottom