Please explain the homegrown rules

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Our academy has produced good players; and continues to do so.

Made it (current) - Skipp, Winks, Kane, Tanganga

Made it (past) - Mason, Bentaleb, Livermore, Townsend

The Almost Men - Oonamah, Carroll, Pritchard, SMith, KWP

Add to that we have Parott, Cirkin, Edwards, Marsh coming through.
Edwards is long gone.....

If I understand correctly, we could have extra Club Trained or Association Trained if we reduced the amount of Non-HG? And same with the PL - we could have more HG in lieu of Non-HG if we wanted to/were able to?
PL rules not looking at the details but roughly... There is a limit on non HG players (I think 17), if you want a full squad (25 I think) you need 8 HG, less HG then a smaller squad. Youth players are treated differently.

PL rules not looking at the details but roughly... There is a limit on non HG players (I think 17), if you want a full squad (25 I think) you need 8 HG, less HG then a smaller squad. Youth players are treated differently.
Yeah, I know that. I was saying that I believe you can have more than 8 HG if you want? You just reduce the non-HG accordingly?

This HG system i Europe must be a real pain for the Welsh Clubs if they get into European Cups - only Welsh trained players are HG ? That's a small pool at CL/EL quality levels. And even worse for smaller nations - if say Torshavn from the Faroe Islands ever qualified.

In the Europa League we are only allowed 4 Association players. If we sign Doherty even if he sell a non-HG player we are not allowed a 5th Association player. So for example if we signed Wilson he would not be eligible for Euro games.
Of course it's unlikely that Rose will be in the squad so realistically we can sign 1 more HG.
In the EPL the rules are different. We could sign 2 HG players today.
I don't think that's right. A club can have as many association players as they want provided there are at least 4 club trained players and the overall squad size is 25. So if we signed Wilson today, he'll need to replace someone in our squad (because it's already 25) other than Kane, Winks, CCV and Rose. In other words, Wilson will just take up a foreign player slot.

Oh and if we sell Rose, we'll have to find another club trained player like Townsend or Bale. Otherwise, we'll have to continue with a squad of 24.

This HG system i Europe must be a real pain for the Welsh Clubs if they get into European Cups - only Welsh trained players are HG ? That's a small pool at CL/EL quality levels. And even worse for smaller nations - if say Torshavn from the Faroe Islands ever qualified.
If you want to get really confused, check out The New Saints. They're actually in England but play in the Welsh league.

In the EL the rules are a maximum of 4 Association players.

2. Association-trained players – players who were on another club's books in the same association for three years between the ages of 15 and 21. No club can have more than four association-trained players among their eight 'local' nominees on List A.
"No club can have more than four association-trained players among their eight 'local' nominees on List A."
Basically means at least 4 has to be club trained in the local players' slot. You can have as many association-trained players in your foreign players' slot as you want. You can literally have 21 association trained players and 4 club-trained players or even your whole 25 men squad can be club-trained.

Just think logically. Why would UEFA want to limit association-trained players and promote foreign players in club squads? And I'm sure if you check the squads of some of the Spanish or German clubs, you'll find far more than just 8 local players in their squad.

Edit: Just check the article you posted

Who can be on List A?

A maximum of 25 players, two of whom must be goalkeepers. There are a minimum of eight places reserved exclusively for 'locally trained players'. If a club have fewer than eight locally trained players in their squad, then the maximum number of players on List A is reduced accordingly.

Last edited:
Edit: 16 Sept
Rose and Foyth
omitted from EL squad. Clarke added.
Whiteman now over 21.
EL rules: Dier was trained in PortugaL: Non-HG.
EPL
rules: Dier was trained in Portugal: Non-HG.
EL
rules: Davies was trained in Wales: Non-HG.
EPL
rules: Davies: HG.
EL
rules: Gedson: Non-HG.
EPL
rules: Gedson: U21.
EL
rules: Sessegnon has not been with us 2 years: Association.
EPL
rules: Sessegnon: U21.
EL
rules: Clarke has not been with us 2 years: Association.
EPL
rules: Clarke: U21.

EPLEL
NON-HG (15)NON-HG (16)
1LLORISLLORIS1
2GAZZANIGAGAZZANIGA2
3AURIERAURIER3
4ALDERWEIRELDALDERWEIRELD4
5SANCHEZSANCHEZ5
6DIERDIER6
7FOYTH
8HOJBJERGHOJBJERG7
9SISSOKOSISSOKO8
10NDOMBELENDOMBELE9
11LAMELALAMELA10
12LO CELSOLO CELSO11
13BERGWIJNBERGWIJN12
14MOURAMOURA13
15SONSON14
DAVIES15
GEDSON16
HG (8?)ASSOCIATION (5)
1HARTHART1
2DOHERTYDOHERTY2
3ALLIALLI3
4DAVIESSESSEGNON and CLARKE4 & 5
CLUB TRAINED (4)
5WINKSWINKS1
6KANEKANE2
7WHITEMANWHITEMAN3
8CCV??CCV4
SQUAD TOTAL: 23?SQUAD TOTAL: 25
EPLEL
SQUAD OF 25SQUAD OF 25
MAX 17 NON-HGMAX 17 NON-HG
IF 17 NON-HGIF 17 NON-HG
MAX 8 HGMAX 8 HG
(MAX 4 ASSOCIATION)
U21 on 1st Jan inyear season starts
(UNDER 21)LIST B (UNDER 21)
No restrictionsWith Spurs 2 years

Last edited:
sudoku in the EL squad its not 'Max 8 HG' - it's 'Min 4 club trained' and 'Min 8 (inc 4 CT) association trained' or you can't have 25 registered.

Ideally you have loads of club and association trained as then your transfer business is unrestricted save for the max of 25 players over 21 years old

sudoku in the EL squad its not 'Max 8 HG' - it's 'Min 4 club trained' and 'Min 8 (inc 4 CT) association trained' or you can't have 25 registered.

Ideally you have loads of club and association trained as then your transfer business is unrestricted save for the max of 25 players over 21 years old
I said "If 17 Non-HG then max 8 HG."
If we have 15 non-HG then max 10 HG.

Thanks to Blanchflower Blanchflower I have updated the squads.
Assuming CCV is in Jose's plans and Rose leaves as Alli is "club trained" we have space for an association player in the EL squad.
EL rules: Dier was trained in Portugal. Non-HG.
EPL
rules: Dier was trained in Portugal. Non-HG.
EL
rules: Davies was trained in Wales. Non-HG.
EPL
EL
EPL
EL
EPL

EPLEL
NON-HG (15)NON-HG (17)
1LLORISLLORIS1
2GAZZANIGAGAZZANIGA2
3AURIERAURIER3
5SANCHEZSANCHEZ5
6DIERDIER6
7FOYTHFOYTH7
8HOJBJERGHOJBJERG8
9SISSOKOSISSOKO9
10NDOMBELENDOMBELE10
11LAMELALAMELA11
12LO CELSOLO CELSO12
13BERGWIJNBERGWIJN13
14MOURAMOURA14
15SONSON15
DAVIES16
GEDSON17
HG (8)ASSOCIATION (3)
1HARTHART1
2DOHERTYDOHERTY2
3DAVIESSESSEGNON3
CLUB TRAINED (5)
4ALLIALLI1
5ROSEROSE2
6CCVCCV3
7WINKSWINKS4
8KANEKANE5
SQUAD TOTAL: 23SQUAD TOTAL: 25
EPLEL
SQUAD OF 25SQUAD OF 25
IF 17 NON-HGIF 17 NON-HG
MAX 8 HGMAX 8 HG
(MAX 4 ASSOCIATION)

Are you sure Alli club trained? He joined us in 2015 and turned 21 on April 2017. So he couldn't have spent 36 months with us before turning 21.

Are you sure Alli club trained? He joined us in 2015 and turned 21 on April 2017. So he couldn't have spent 36 months with us before turning 21.

1. Club-trained players – players who were on a club's books for three years between the ages of 15 and 21;

I think you are right. I am mixing up the under 21 rules with the club trained rules.
He played 3 consecutive seasons as U 21 2015-18 but he was not at the club 36 calendar months between 15 and 21.

I can't find the UEFA link to last year's squad to confirm but I suppose we will find out for definite when this season's EL squad is announced.
In the meantime I will put Dele back as "Association"

Last edited:
Assuming CCV is in Jose's plans...
EL rules: Dier was trained in Portugal. Non-HG.
EPL
rules: Dier was trained in Portugal. Non-HG.
EL
rules: Davies was trained in Wales. Non-HG.
EPL
EL
EPL
EL
EPL

EPLEL
NON-HG (15)NON-HG (17)
1LLORISLLORIS1
2GAZZANIGAGAZZANIGA2
3AURIERAURIER3
5SANCHEZSANCHEZ5
6DIERDIER6
7FOYTHFOYTH7
8HOJBJERGHOJBJERG8
9SISSOKOSISSOKO9
10NDOMBELENDOMBELE10
11LAMELALAMELA11
12LO CELSOLO CELSO12
13BERGWIJNBERGWIJN13
14MOURAMOURA14
15SONSON15
DAVIES16
GEDSON17
HG (8)ASSOCIATION (4)
1HARTHART1
2DOHERTYDOHERTY2
3DAVIESSESSEGNON3
4ALLIALLI4
CLUB TRAINED (4)
5ROSEROSE1
6CCVCCV2
7WINKSWINKS3
8KANEKANE4
SQUAD TOTAL: 23SQUAD TOTAL: 25
EPLEL
SQUAD OF 25SQUAD OF 25
IF 17 NON-HGIF 17 NON-HG
MAX 8 HGMAX 8 HG
(MAX 4 ASSOCIATION)
So if we sign a foreign striker, we would have room in our PL squad but not in our UEL squad. So we'd have to get rid of a player, presume one of Gazza, Foyth, Gedson or Aurier (if he stays) could be on the chopping block.

The squad includes Jack Clarke. Rose and Foyth omitted.
The only way that full squad is kosher is if Dele is considered club trained.

LLORIS1
GAZZANIGA2
AURIER3
ALDERWEIRELD4
SANCHEZ5
DIER6
HOJBJERG7
SISSOKO8
NDOMBELE9
LAMELA10
LO CELSO11
BERGWIJN12
MOURA13
SON14
DAVIES15
GEDSON16
ASSOCIATION (5)
HART1
DOHERTY2
SESSEGNON3
ALLI???4
CLARKE5
CLUB TRAINED (4)
WHITEMAN1
WINKS2
KANE3
CCV4
Total25
Or we're reserving the club HG spot for a certain Gareth Bale.....

:mourlmao:

So if we sign Reguilon, Bale and a new ST - is that actually possible with registration?

For Prem I guess it’s :

HG
1. Kane
2. Winks
3. Davies
4. Doherty
5. Sessegnon
6. Hart
7. Bale
8. Davies
9. Dele

non HG
1. Lloris
2. Gazzaniga
3. Aurier
4. Alderweireld
5. Sanchez
6. Dier
7. Hojbjerg
8. Sissoko
9. Ndombele
10. Lamela
11. Lo Celso
12. Bergwijn
13. Lucas
14. Son
15. Gedson
16. Reguilon
17. New ST

Total: 26*

Clarke, Sess and Tanganga U21. I have already not included CCV, Rose, Foyth and Whiteman yet there is one too many in the squad. Main candidates for removal would be Gedson (wish we never signed him), Lamela (to be sold), Aurier (I think he will stay now) and the most likely option Gazzaniga.

For UEL

Club trained
1. Kane
2. Winks
3. Bale
4. CCV/Whiteman

Association
1. Hart
2. Doherty
3. Sessegnon
4. Dele

non-HG
1. Lloris
2. Gazzaniga
3. Aurier
4. Alderweireld
5. Sanchez
6. Dier
7. Hojbjerg
8. Sissoko
9. Ndombele
10. Lamela
11. Lo Celso
12. Bergwijn
13. Lucas
14. Son
15. Gedson
16. Reguilon
17. New ST
18. Davies

Total: 26*

Again we have one too many in the squad, and that’s with Clarke, Foyth and one of CCV/Whiteman not selected.

TLDR: The only way we would be able to sign Reguilon, Bale and a new ST is if one of our first team foreigners goes. The most likely candidates being Gazzaniga, Lamela and Aurier - we also would need to move on Foyth, Rose and probably Whiteman.

Back
Top Bottom