Poll: Who do you want most as our next manager?

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Who would be your first choice?

• Graham Potter

• Scott Parker

• Ten Hag

• Rafa Benitez

• None of the above - comment below

• *Marcelo Bielsa

• *Ralf Rangnick

• *Ralph Hasenhüttl

• *Steven Gerrard

• *Julen Lopetegui

• *Christophe Galtier

• *Marcelo Gallardo

• *Oliver Glasner

• *Ryan Mason

• *Maurizio Sarri

• *Gian Piero Gasperini

• *Mauricio Pochettino

• *Antonio Conte

• *Eddie Howe

• *Gareth Southgate

• *Nuno Espirito Santo

• *Paulo Fonseca

• *Gennaro Gattuso

• *Ernesto Valverde

Results are only viewable after voting.
Levy must have conducted more job interviews than McDonald's
Same standard of product being sold. Is Ray Kroc still alive? We could have the Ronaldo McDonald's stadium and an owner who would probably know more about football than our egomaniac chairman. Plus free super-sized chips for all supporters. I absolutely refuse to call them fries. Damn Americans yet again.....

Wolves finished season 13th after what they spent and still played crap football. I seriously don’t get how we can go for someone who got his team in that position regardless of any mitigating circumstances. There must be plenty of managers around who are better suited to our club.
wolves didn’t want him either!
Plus he had some £35m kid foisted on him by his agent. No way do I want to see that for us.

I did not say any trophy. I said I rather prefer Spurs to qualify for the CL than winning a domestic cup. Who really cares about the League cup or the FA nowadays. Already 2 decades ago Man U & Woolwich stopped caring about the League cup.
Why are players more attracted to clubs in the CL and why does Harry Kane go on about CL football if winning a domestic cup is more important to them than playing in the CL? CL footy is what draws the crowds and brings glory and the spotlight to the players.
Levy & Lewis will always remain tight but without the extra income from the CL they would most probably have spent even less money on players.
Everyone with any business sense agrees with this. Top 4 is by far best for long term interest.

Remember the early days of Spring when it was Simone Inzaghi coming, now we are past Mid Summer’s night, and have the prospect of appointing a manager who left his last job because he only had one senior striker and no transfer budget at his former club.

wow. We are great ain’t we ?

Sam Allardyce is now as short as 33/1 with SkyBet. And no, I'm not joking!

Online Sports Betting & Odds | Bet with Sky Bet
1382925344408.gif

I know you that many of you guys don't like to read long articles about Nuno, but in case there are some of you who do...well, here's another about Nuno.
And, no, I did not read the whole article so I can't give you a brief/gist but I may read it if Nuno should be appointed...

A Detailed Perspective on Nuno from a Wolves fan​

renderTimingPixel.png

Discussion
Apparently Nuno is in advanced talks to become your next manager and since I have a few Spurs-supporting friends and I do lurk on the sub sometimes, I just thought I'd clarify a few things I've read in multiple places. I'll cover both his strengths and weaknesses.
Here are his strengths:
(1) Improvement of seemingly average players- Throughout his time at Wolves, there is not a single player that Nuno has not improved. When we finished 7th in our first season, our defense comprised of Conor Coady (previously a Championship player who was a below average DM), Ryan Bennett (bottom level PL side/Championship player) and Willy Boly (who had not set the world alight at Porto). And of course you'll be very well acquainted with Matt Doherty, a pretty decent player at Championship level who became one of the best wingbacks in the league. And then there's Romain Saiss, who nobody expected would contribute as much as he did, Adama Traore finally improving his end-product, Raul Jimenez- who was pretty much second fiddle at Benfica and Atleti turning into one of the most complete strikers in the league.
A lot has been mentioned about the Mendes targets, Portuguese wonderkids and whatnot and while that is undeniably true, he has proven himself to be a very good man manager.
(2) Defensive Solidity- Taking away his last season, we have always been a defensively solid team under him. He only played a back 3 at Wolves so not sure if that will carry over to Spurs or not. But you can 100 % expect a well-drilled side and with better individual defenders, his system will work even better. And of course, the counter-attacking football speaks for itself.
(3) Record against Big Teams- For what it's worth, if you go back and look at most of our games versus the Big 6, we have not simply parked the bus and succeeded in all of them. Multiple times we've taken the game to the big boys and played on their level (games vs Tottenham a good example I'd say). There have been lucky wins and there have been well-contested wins and draws. It's safe to say that he can get results in the big games.
(4) Turning a Corner- There have been multiple situations when we've been on a horrible run, but he's always turned it around. Whether it's a tactical change, personnel change, etc. This can go in the negative section as well, because we were notorious slow-starters, but we had plenty of incredible comeback wins. One of the best things he ever did for us was give us this surmounting belief that we could win any game, no matter how dire the situation looked or how tough the opponent was.
A big talking point in our first season was how we failed to beat the bottom 10 teams. And next season he worked on those issues and got more points against them.
(5) Togetherness and Team Spirit- Nuno puts a lot of emphasis on team spirit and working as a single unit. His connection with the players and the fans is absolutely incredible. He's also an incredibly generous man, he donated money to food banks in Wolverhampton during the pandemic. He is extremely passionate, level-headed and calm, and does not go around picking fights with players and managers.
There is zero chance of him tolerating players with attitude issues or lazy players. He's also ruthless with under-performing players, having sold Costa and Cavaleiro after their disappointing first season in the league. There are exceptions, however. See "Lack of Rotation" in Negative.
Negatives:
(1) The Mendes Connection- Now this can fall into the Mixed Category. But Nuno has never ever managed a non-Mendes club. Make of that what you will. The Mendes debate deserves a post of its own, I'll let that slide.
(2) Dominating Possession- This is fairly conclusive. Nuno had a good enough squad in Porto but he failed. And in his last season with us, he outlined a plan to play with more of the ball. He changed the formation but as a lot of people have said, the overall football was eye-gouging. Whether that was due to a lack of motivation (many hypothesize he had mentally checked out for a long time), injuries, poor finishing, lack of fan support which was crucial for our first two seasons-- all of which are true, the fact is that he was unable to implement, at least the seeds of a new style of football. And the talent was there to do better.
But we have played good football under him. Triangles in midfield to beat the press, stretching the play with tricky, quick wingers, wingbacks getting into the box, switching the play to disrupt the opponent's defensive shape, so on so forth. Still pretty direct and fast, so there's that. Loss of personnel, loss of form and many other things just forced him to become more and more conservative in the last season.
(3) Pressing- I am not fully convinced Nuno can coach a team to press the way most modern teams do. Our press declined/remained inconsistent, because of Moutinho losing his legs and a lack of mobility in Dendoncker and Neves but from whatever we've seen, we were only able to press well for a few minutes in games. Might be his weakest coaching attribute.
(4) "Solutions"- This is a bit esoteric but Nuno generally gives fairly standard answers in the press and one of the things he loves to repeat is "finding solutions". If things do turn sour, he will be saying these words plenty.
(5) Lack of Rotation- Nuno will not change a winning team. If things are not working out, he will switch to the tried and tested lineup. He's never had a small squad anywhere but at Wolves so take that with a pinch of salt. Nuno might not be a youth terrorist but most of the minutes he's given to young players here have come via necessity. It's fair to say that he stuck with a declining Moutinho all throughout last season rather than take a risk and play Vitinha, so he has his favorites, like most managers do.
(6) Same Coaching Team- Nuno has more or less had the same coaching team with him at all his jobs. I am of the belief that managers need new assistants with new ideas to grow and evolve. Ferguson with Kidd, Queiroz and Phelan (all three point towards a different era and style of play in his tenure), Jurgen Klopp with Buvac and now Lijnders (shift from gegenpress to more controlled possession) and so many others. Unless Nuno is hiring a new progressive first-team coach to assist him with the transition to playing a more possession-oriented style of football, he is gonna be using the same methods he has all his career.
My two cents are that he is the wrong manager for what Tottenham need right now. He can certainly get you back in the top 4 (tough but doable) but I don't think he is the right manager to make a push for title. His game management will suit knockout games for sure. If stability is the requirement, then I think he'd be good. If you were hiring him in June 2020, then maybe people would've been more positive. There's no denying that there are seemingly better options than him out there. So if he does join Tottenham, I'll be hoping he does a great job because he's the best Wolves manager most of us have ever seen and for that we'll always be grateful. Cheers.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom