Poll: Who do you want most as our next manager?

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Who would be your first choice?

• Graham Potter

• Scott Parker

• Ten Hag

• Rafa Benitez

• None of the above - comment below

• *Marcelo Bielsa

• *Ralf Rangnick

• *Ralph Hasenhüttl

• *Steven Gerrard

• *Julen Lopetegui

• *Christophe Galtier

• *Marcelo Gallardo

• *Oliver Glasner

• *Ryan Mason

• *Maurizio Sarri

• *Gian Piero Gasperini

• *Mauricio Pochettino

• *Antonio Conte

• *Eddie Howe

• *Gareth Southgate

• *Nuno Espirito Santo

• *Paulo Fonseca

• *Gennaro Gattuso

• *Ernesto Valverde

Results are only viewable after voting.
Even though we were poor there were numerous factors like allowing the squad to get old and tired without signing players to refresh the squad.Allow a refreshed Poch to come back and if Levy backs him this painful rebuild could happen a lot quicker than expected.
And if he doesn't back him....?

Too soon for Poch to come back - like getting back together with an ex, you need to give it time for you to forget their flaws and the reason(s) you split up with them in the first place.
Get rid of Levy first. Then get new owners (I don't care how they got their money) who will back him.

Looooool. I'm laughing because I've just got all excited and written a fucking loooooong post explaining my thoughts but thought fuck it, this is boring, nothing that concrete so I deleted it!!

I'll promise I'll try and be brief.....

He ticks more of the boxes against every single one of the candidates on the current list. Hands down he's the best candidate. Isolate each one and he's better individually when matched up 1v1.

Ask yourself that question in relation to each of the candidates being banded around. e.g as far as I'm aware ten Hag doesn't have much of a hand in recruitment, that's all done by Overmars. He has probably the Worlds Best academy with a conveyor belt of talent coming through each year.

There's a ton of context to work through with Poch/Spurs and transfers, the biggest being our budget and how this affected his selections whilst he was with us. 100% he knew the score 100% he was onboard with it, 100% he was part (maybe the reason) why we signed no one.

Rather than get bogged down into the complexities of who did what and why and when I'd rather focus on the man. I'm confident that he has already reflected on his period with us and I'm sure he's already come out and accepts responsibility for his part that were mistakes. The fact that Levy has let the media have the process is searching for a Poch like manager, is also him saying he fucked up on his side.

To have both parties acknowledge the mistakes that they made is huge, it makes resolution and solutions possible. So, let's say that Poch admits that his recruitment was poor and that means the solution required is a DoF then that's a win.

The bottom line for me is:
He knows the Club inside out
He knows the players inside out
He knows the board inside out
He knows the PL inside out
He knows the CL inside out (x2 semi-finals now and regularly knocks out favourites on route)
He has a philosophy of playing good football
He's loved by the fans

All this gives him a huge headstart over another candidate. Both Levy and he know where each got something wrong and why, both would have to reconcile this or neither would agree to him being here.

I could go on, there's a ton more to be considered but I'd promise to keep it short and I'm already taking liberties.

TDLR: He's the best candidate on the current list. I'd have him back in a heartbeat.
And that's your idea of being "brief" is it....

Get rid of Levy first. Then get new owners (I don't care how they got their money) who will back him.
That's simply not going to happen.

Levy backs his managers within the parameters to which each manager agreed to at the point of being hired. "Being backed" is trotted out when fans don't like the signings, or the signing they did like turned out to be shit, mismanaged or both.

Poch was appointed 16 days after the last match of the 2013/14 season but 5 days before the summer transfer window opened.

I'm just hoping we have the new manager in by the end of the month.

But he picked Kan.....oh.
The Office Reaction GIF

That's simply not going to happen.

Levy backs his managers within the parameters to which each manager agreed to at the point of being hired. "Being backed" is trotted out when fans don't like the signings, or the signing they did like turned out to be shit, mismanaged or both.
......which is not the case with me. I think we all know that Levy won't hire anyone with the guts to demand the final say about the players. Buying. selling or playing.

......which is not the case with me. I think we all know that Levy won't hire anyone with the guts to demand the final say about the players. Buying. selling or playing.
They ALL have the final say about the players, every single one! They've all confirmed this too.

There's nothing that difficult to understand about our policy, we spend money from the revenues that the Club generates. This is the same as approx 95% of all football clubs. Only Chavs, PSG (but I don't think they do anymore) City (it's complex web) use monies from outside the operations of the Club itself (there may well be some tiny team in lower divisions that relies on an owners capital like Salford).

What about Martinez + Campos or Ragnick?

That is a very tough choice.

I would be very happy to get a DOF in and the potential that would indicate, but be very doutbful that things are changing because there is zero chance either guy would choose Martinez as their manager.

So probably be disappointed overall as it would show that the DOF has no control and the one hope I had that either guy would only come if given full control would be shattered.

Back
Top Bottom