Poll: Who do you want most as our next manager?

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Who would be your first choice?

• Graham Potter

• Scott Parker

• Ten Hag

• Rafa Benitez

• None of the above - comment below

• *Marcelo Bielsa

• *Ralf Rangnick

• *Ralph Hasenhüttl

• *Steven Gerrard

• *Julen Lopetegui

• *Christophe Galtier

• *Marcelo Gallardo

• *Oliver Glasner

• *Ryan Mason

• *Maurizio Sarri

• *Gian Piero Gasperini

• *Mauricio Pochettino

• *Antonio Conte

• *Eddie Howe

• *Gareth Southgate

• *Nuno Espirito Santo

• *Paulo Fonseca

• *Gennaro Gattuso

• *Ernesto Valverde

Results are only viewable after voting.
Interesting take on it. I don't agree as I'd rather try and instantly replace the missing Kane goals with a number 9 like Lukaku. I can see what you're getting at though.

One I don't think they are selling Lukaku and two I am not sure a 28 year old Lukaku with questionable work habits in the past coming in a mid table Spurs team is the best situation.

As I said if we had Conte that would have us in top 4 contention and had worked with him before I would take him in a hearbeat, but it looks more likely we are going with a much less ambitious approach and hoping to luck into 6th which I don't see a fit for Lukaku in that team.

Interesting take on it. I don't agree as I'd rather try and instantly replace the missing Kane goals with a number 9 like Lukaku. I can see what you're getting at though.

I should add I would also love to replace him with a 9 as well but I don't see who is out there that is a fit.

Lukaku to me will be too old, expensive and still would need a massive improvement in our MF to be able to produce like we need.

DCL is the right price but likely too much money for what he brings, again a major spend in the MF would be needed.

Martinez hasn't shown enough for me to think he is a replacement.

Icardi is too old and him and his wife are nuts.

Halaand won't come even if we paid up.

If there is someone I am missing I will gladly take them I just don't see any fits that I would see as close to a replacement at the 9 spot.

I wonder if the watering down has to do with Levy and Romano knowing he is a prick so he has to change the way he reports things with Levy compared to other properly run clubs.
Meh. He does that kind of thing a lot. Excellent scoop merchant, but twitter makes idiots of us all.

Anyway, I really hope this stuff about retaining Mason & The Mates on staff isn't true.

Meh. He does that kind of thing a lot. Excellent scoop merchant, but twitter makes idiots of us all.

Anyway, I really hope this stuff about retaining Mason & The Mates on staff isn't true.

I only recently followed him so am not as familiar with him as before so wasn't sure if it was common thing he did or something he changed.

I can see journalists after seeing that the Conte deal collapsed for no reason thinking hold on we need to change how we approach this idiot Levy.

I can’t even be mad tbh. Expectations are zero. So it will be easy to surprise me positively. Unless we are fighting relegation. But a mid table year seems on the cards.
Honestly, I could handle a mid table year if it looks like we are starting to build something exciting and with some promise. It is going to take some new blood in the team and some new attitudes and tactics, but that isn’t the worst thing. The worst thing would be trying to eek out another year with the same shot attitudes, tactics, and squad.

American concept, not how it works.

If we’re 11th, it’s because we’re 11th

Ah, yes, I forgot that in the US that 11th can often mean 5th.

You're missing the point, I think. We are getting a largely unknown (for most supporters) head coach, it already looks like we will needing to rely on some of our youth players, and bringing in a DoF that will be looking to replace dead wood in the squad. None of those aspects are typically likely to be a huge payoff in year one let alone all of them happening in the same year. We could also be without Kane as well.

Mid table could be 11th and it could also be 8th. If we could end up in a reasonable position in the table, have instilled some youth players into the team with good results, had some new additions look promising, and look like we have a quality coach with a new vision, I think I'd be okay with that.

If we finished in 11th with the same squad we had this year, playing the same terrible way, and saw the same poor attitudes it would feel very much worse than finishing in the scenario above.

American concept? So what in other countries you don't build teams but just suddenly become good?

The early years under Poch we were all happy with the first season or two but because we won anything but because the team was looking promising and improving each year. We need soon patience.

It's not like we can pull a Chelsea and drop £400m whenever we want a quick fix.

It gets a little concerning when a player, and now manager, has spent virtually all their career in one country. Fonseca’s barely only left Portugal. Did well at Shakhtar. Take that’s for what it’s worth. Now a hair above 50% at Roma.
Who knows. I’m talking out my ass. If it’s him, so be it.

I never get why you think football is a magical sport where players don't improve or there is an advantage to playing young players.

Do you really see no value in having a team finish 11th with a team with an average age of 21 versus a team with an average age of 32?

Why finishing 11th with players like Patson Daka, Sven Botman, Eduard Camavinga would be preferable than finishing 11th or really 9th or 10th with Mandzukic, Fernandinho, Bonucci,

Personally think we are in for a real long old slog of a season and I reckon mid table is where we will finish. Let’s be honest, the way the club run operations on the field, we are nothing more than a mid table club with a huge stadium and revenues stuffing the pockets of our owners. Levy can do bullshit interviews all he likes, but he’s not pulling the wool over anyone’s eyes. This Fonseca is clearly a last minute desperation 6th choice target with pre season so close. They are so incompetent, that we are now left with such an underwhelming appointment. Feel sorry for Fonseca because it isn’t his fault, but he’s walking into a graveyard of a football club. One where the chairman refuses to spend any proper money. One where our only world class player will inevitably be sold. Is there anything to be positive about next season ? Think we will finish 12th or 13th and it will take us years to get back to where we were.

Back
Top Bottom