Poll: Who do you want most as our next manager?

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Who would be your first choice?

• Graham Potter

• Scott Parker

• Ten Hag

• Rafa Benitez

• None of the above - comment below

• *Marcelo Bielsa

• *Ralf Rangnick

• *Ralph Hasenhüttl

• *Steven Gerrard

• *Julen Lopetegui

• *Christophe Galtier

• *Marcelo Gallardo

• *Oliver Glasner

• *Ryan Mason

• *Maurizio Sarri

• *Gian Piero Gasperini

• *Mauricio Pochettino

• *Antonio Conte

• *Eddie Howe

• *Gareth Southgate

• *Nuno Espirito Santo

• *Paulo Fonseca

• *Gennaro Gattuso

• *Ernesto Valverde

Results are only viewable after voting.
Personally think we are in for a real long old slog of a season and I reckon mid table is where we will finish. Let’s be honest, the way the club run operations on the field, we are nothing more than a mid table club with a huge stadium and revenues stuffing the pockets of our owners. Levy can do bullshit interviews all he likes, but he’s not pulling the wool over anyone’s eyes. This Fonseca is clearly a last minute desperation 6th choice target with pre season so close. They are so incompetent, that we are now left with such an underwhelming appointment. Feel sorry for Fonseca because it isn’t his fault, but he’s walking into a graveyard of a football club. One where the chairman refuses to spend any proper money. One where our only world class player will inevitably be sold. Is there anything to be positive about next season ? Think we will finish 12th or 13th and it will take us years to get back to where we were.
'One world class player' reminds me of when we had Ginola, I think the rest of our team now is better than that except for a couple of farts. All out team from the usual 11 etc are International players some of whom have won major international trophies, and are used to being in the final stages of such stuff.

Even the first few matches last season with Jose we did pretty well, it seemed to go pear shaped after we got beaten by Liverpool in January, before then, okay we were playing the Jose way but the players were doing ok.

We imploded from January to April and that cost us a CL place., and to lose some important cup matches, we began to play dreadfully.

Jesus is much better than Moura, he isn't a world beater but he brings with him a level of play that at least ensures we don't waste the money on a Soldado or Janssen that can't play. He also allows us to also take a chance on a young guy with risks like Daka or Vlahovic who may need time to adjust or not even be able to adjust.

It is crazy that he has been good enough to help City and yet now he is too shit for us. He is not ideal but we can, and likely will, do a lot worse.
No way do I want us to waste money on him. We are in big trouble if Kane is replaced by Jesus. In any case aren't the MC guys on big wages that they would expect any new club to match. No if MC cannot come up with cash then no deal.
Over the years our best players have left in 3 ways
1 Berbatov, Bale and Modric- sold to a better club for big money
2 Dembele, Wanyama- kept until no longer at that standard and let go for very little
3 Eriksen- allowed to run contract down and left for very much reduced fee.
I favour very strongly keeping Kane and let him fall into category 2/3.
The performance when Kane is not in the side dips considerably even though there are matches he plays poorly in. I really feel that if he goes we will have a worse season than the last one whoever we buy.

No way do I want us to waste money on him. We are in big trouble if Kane is replaced by Jesus. In any case aren't the MC guys on big wages that they would expect any new club to match. No if MC cannot come up with cash then no deal.
Over the years our best players have left in 3 ways
1 Berbatov, Bale and Modric- sold to a better club for big money
2 Dembele, Wanyama- kept until no longer at that standard and let go for very little
3 Eriksen- allowed to run contract down and left for very much reduced fee.
I favour very strongly keeping Kane and let him fall into category 2/3.
The performance when Kane is not in the side dips considerably even though there are matches he plays poorly in. I really feel that if he goes we will have a worse season than the last one whoever we buy.
It's called a rebuild

Can't even watch the cunt talk anymore.
He's murdering this club as a serious contender.

It actually scares me to think, after all the BS about "not doing a Leeds" that with 700m of finance on the stadium, that bad management and a resulting loss of income might actually make us do a Leeds. Or worse, a Coventry where we end up homeless and sharing with someone else.

Unambitious spending has;
Lost CL money
Lost advertising revenue
Lost match day income
Lost naming rights

This is gross mismanagement. If we end up 11th next season because we sell our best players and replace them with kids, have a nobody coach and by Feb the stadium is half empty then Levy needs to be removed before shit gets dangerously bad.

Can't even watch the cunt talk anymore.
He's murdering this club as a serious contender.

It actually scares me to think, after all the BS about "not doing a Leeds" that with 700m of finance on the stadium, that bad management and a resulting loss of income might actually make us do a Leeds. Or worse, a Coventry where we end up homeless and sharing with someone else.

Unambitious spending has;
Lost CL money
Lost advertising revenue
Lost match day income
Lost naming rights

This is gross mismanagement. If we end up 11th next season because we sell our best players and replace them with kids, have a nobody coach and by Feb the stadium is half empty then Levy needs to be removed before shit gets dangerously bad.

This isnt the 1600's mate - we can't just storm tottenham hq and remove him.

Be funny to try though!

Personally think we are in for a real long old slog of a season and I reckon mid table is where we will finish. Let’s be honest, the way the club run operations on the field, we are nothing more than a mid table club with a huge stadium and revenues stuffing the pockets of our owners. Levy can do bullshit interviews all he likes, but he’s not pulling the wool over anyone’s eyes. This Fonseca is clearly a last minute desperation 6th choice target with pre season so close. They are so incompetent, that we are now left with such an underwhelming appointment. Feel sorry for Fonseca because it isn’t his fault, but he’s walking into a graveyard of a football club. One where the chairman refuses to spend any proper money. One where our only world class player will inevitably be sold. Is there anything to be positive about next season ? Think we will finish 12th or 13th and it will take us years to get back to where we were.

I see half glass full.
Levy has caused this mess by not backing Poch 2-3 years back. IMO, we have completed the downward phase. Even with Kane scoring 23 goals 14 or so assist with Son Bale scoring we were lucky to finish 7th...that because regardless of Kane, we lacked the drive to go forward - players werent playing for themselves or manager or club. We were happy to sit back. It wont be the case under Fonseca & Paratici. Fully expecting deadwoods to be sold. Young players should come in & be refreshing change. This is what we saw post AVB.

With Paratici coming in, I believe the recruitment mess will be taken care of and feel we will sell where its needed and recruit far better.

Even in a situation where Kane is sold, we will reinvest back in squad. While we can never replace Kane, pretty sure overall need of the squad will be addressed

Ofcourse, I dont want Kane to be sold. But my point is, things will get better under new DoF, new coach structure -definitely wont be finishing midtable.

Have to say imo levy looked a bit tired in that interview on website yesterday. Good he came out though as so much negative spin last month or so.
Anyone else notice the secret message in Mr Levy's heavily edited and cropped interview?
2min 30sec, when talking about selling players - "...that's one area that if you don't get right, erm, it can have DIER consequences." You heard it here first.

Also, if you play the interview backwards, at 666secs he clearly says, "I am Mammon, Lord of All Evil". Just try it - you'll see.

I can’t even be mad tbh. Expectations are zero. So it will be easy to surprise me positively. Unless we are fighting relegation. But a mid table year seems on the cards.

Considering how shite we were under Jose, and how close we ultimately were to top 4, I dont see why we cant do better than midtable this season.

Fonseca seems to be an attack oriented coach, which suits our squad far more than Jose ever did - why couldnt he get more out of them?

I see half glass full.
Levy has caused this mess by not backing Poch 2-3 years back. IMO, we have completed the downward phase. Even with Kane scoring 23 goals 14 or so assist with Son Bale scoring we were lucky to finish 7th...that because regardless of Kane, we lacked the drive to go forward - players werent playing for themselves or manager or club. We were happy to sit back. It wont be the case under Fonseca & Paratici. Fully expecting deadwoods to be sold. Young players should come in & be refreshing change. This is what we saw post AVB.

With Paratici coming in, I believe the recruitment mess will be taken care of and feel we will sell where its needed and recruit far better.

Even in a situation where Kane is sold, we will reinvest back in squad. While we can never replace Kane, pretty sure overall need of the squad will be addressed

Ofcourse, I dont want Kane to be sold. But my point is, things will get better under new DoF, new coach structure -definitely wont be finishing midtable.
As unhappy as I am at the moment, we weren't lucky to finish 7th when we were actually so close points wise to 4th. It was literally less than a handful or a results the other way that would have seen us in there.
GD is always a good indication of where you should be as well as points and ours was with the top 4 iirc

Considering how shite we were under Jose, and how close we ultimately were to top 4, I dont see why we cant do better than midtable this season.

Fonseca seems to be an attack oriented coach, which suits our squad far more than Jose ever did - why couldnt he get more out of them?
The only way an attack minded coach and game plan suits our squad is if all our chances go in.
What you're basically saying is we can't defend so the best bet is to attack.

That doesn't work if you can't keep hold of the ball at will. When we lose possession we're always in danger of conceding goals.
If we sell Kane we're far less likely to score.

At which point we're just gonna end up twatted most weeks.

The only way an attack minded coach and game plan suits our squad is if all our chances go in.
What you're basically saying is we can't defend so the best bet is to attack.

That doesn't work if you can't keep hold of the ball at will. When we lose possession we're always in danger of conceding goals.
If we sell Kane we're far less likely to score.

At which point we're just gonna end up twatted most weeks.

No, not saying that at all really. It doesnt have to be so binary, does it?

Being on the front foot, attacking and playing positive football - suits our squad (and ethos) more - I think thats fair to say.

Thats not the same as saying we should go full Ossie and not defend, or that we cant defend.

Jose and us just werent compatible. We showed under Poch (mostly) we could defend, but we were better when we defended high up the pitch, condensed the playing space and pressed hard.

We can defend.

Just not how Jose wanted us to, in a relentless low block where our whole mentality was about stiffling play.

Similarly in attack, we actually outperformed our xg (dreaded xg!) considerably, which IMO speaks to the quality of our attakers - and the lack of attacking structure/intent in our team under Jose.

I know Mason didnt do brilliantly, but just with him trying to shake ofJoses stranglehold we looked much better IMO (on the way to recovery, rather than particularly good)

Fonseca, by all accounts, likes to hold posession, lots of short passes, and his teams create a good amount of high quality chances. Which, to me, sounds like just what our squad needs.

We were, essentially, shite last season - in so much as we had square tactics for round players and it just didnt work - and yet we still finished within a few results of top 4.

I dont see why, with round tactics to go with round players, we cant perform better.

Or, to put it another way, why everyone just expects us to be worse.

We weren't that bad last season until January, if we'd have held our form we'd be in CL position and probably would have got further in it this year.

We gave Utd and City both a good pasting IIRC and beat Chelsea in the cup semi

Back
Top Bottom