Pre-Season 2020

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Preseason 2019 matches started to be announced in February/March, so expect similar timing this year - so any time in the next month ?

The International Champions Cup is poised to have a reduced format in 2020 due to the presence of an expanded 24-team European Championship and the 12-team Copa America next summer.

This year’s pre-season tournament had 12 teams taking part in 17 venues across three continents – Europe, North America and Asia – from July 16 until August 10.

With Euro 2020 and the Copa America not finishing until July 12 and the soccer tournament at the Tokyo Summer Olympics taking place from July 22 until August 8 – in addition to players requiring rest before the start of the 2020-21 domestic seasons – organizer Relevent Sports is rethinking its plans for the ICC men’s tournament next summer.

A final schedule is being finalized now but Relevent is contemplating removing the European leg of the competition and potentially reducing the number of teams for a tournament in late July/early August, pushed back in the calendar to try to ensure the participation of big-name stars.

(Article continues - read full article via the link above)

With Euros 2020 and Copa America not finishing until July 12 and the players having a 3 week mandatory rest period afterwards until end July and PL starting on 9 August, players representing countries who get to finals and semi finals in the tournaments will not be seen much by Spurs in pre-season.

Spurs have the following players who may be involved in Euros or Copa America :

England - Kane, Dele, Winks, Rose (and less likely Dier and Tanganga)
France - Lloris, Sissoko, Ndombele
Belgium - Alderweireld, Vertonghen (if still at Spurs)
Netherlands - Bergwijn
Wales - Davies
Portugal - Gedson
Ireland - Parrott (potentially ?)
Argentina - Lo Celso, Foyth (and less likely Lamela, Gazzaniga)
Columbia - Sanchez
Brazil - Moura (perhaps)

With Coronovirus I wonder if Asia will be off the preseason agenda this year - which would suggest a north American pre-season ?

We really ought to be smarter about these things in years with international tournaments....

Money will talk though.

With so many of our first team potentially involved in Euros or Copa America, I'd imagine a fair number of youngsters will be involved in pre-season. We have usually taken around 6 - 8 youngsters - but also worth looking at a 'B' list of youngsters who are not quite as good but might be taken to fill certain playing positions.

These players would be in addition to Tanganga, Skipp and Parrott.

Suggested list of the 'Best' Youngsters to take on Pre-Season 2020 :

Brandon Austin (GK, age 21) - Has been called up to E u21's after a series of excellent performances in Spurs u23's, vocal gk decent shot stopper and distribution. Currently on loan at Viborg (Denmark).

Dennis Cirkin (LB/CB, age 18) - Has appeared on Spurs bench after Mourhino saw him play for Spurs youth. Physically mature good defender who is also able to get up and down the left side.

TJ Eyoma (CB/RB age 20) - Star of preseason 2018 but went backwards under Poch 'no play whilst you train with first team' policy. Solid CB and decent RB, not the same speed as Tanganga - currently on loan at Lincoln where it is hoped he gets back to his pre season 2018 form
Lyons-Foster (CB/FB age 19) or Malachi Walcott (CB, age 18) - Lyons Foster went on Preseason 2019 as he's a Rolls Royce of a defender but didn't play probably because he' was too much of a light weight. Walcott is physically far more developed and decent technically and far more obviously able to cope with mens football.

White (DM, will be age 19) - Starred in preseason 2019 in his secondary position as LB (can also play CB and used to play AM). Technically good and excellent at set pieces. Left footed, might be a question mark over physicality but coped well in preseason 2019.

Bowden (DM, age 19) - Went on preseason 2019 but brief appearances. Technically good, plays like a young Michael Carrick.

Roles (AM, age 21) - Went on preseason 2019 and made a couple of appearances, maybe most notable for being the first youngster to bury a penalty in a shoot out. Prolific for an AM with goals/assists for Spurs u21's, currently on loan at Cambridge where he scored 5 goals despite a series of niggling injuries restricting his playing time.

List B - Players to fill certain positions, maybe not quite as good as the 6-8 players above

Whiteman (GK, age 21) - Seems to have been overtaken by Austin.

Hinds (RB - can play LB and DM, age will be 20) - Decent RB, never seems to have quite attracted attention by coaches despite 'ticking' most boxes.

Marsh (DM - can play RB, age almost 22) - No nonsense but technically limited DM went on preseason 2018

Amos (DM/CM aged 22) - On this list as he will probably join QPR in the summer. Decent Championship or lower PL level currently tearing up Championship whilst on loan - arguably should have been kept at Spurs given shortage of numbers at CM at the start of the season.

Richards (winger/striker will be aged 20) - Quite prolific but had a series of injuries, usually plays off left wing.

Bennett (winger/striker age 18) - Quite prolific but still young maybe lacks some consisency, usually plays off left wing.

Etete (striker age 18) - joined from Notts County and I thought he was just a space filler. But the 6 foot 5 inch striker has started to show in recent weeks he could be an interesting prospect. Still a little raw and just starting to play with Spurs u21 , but.....

6 months to go so things may change, but the above is a decent list of possibles

Looking forward to seeing Amos pre-season. Or maybe a QPR tv game this season?
White featured in the friendlies last year but he has been ignored since.
Eyoma is on loan at Lincoln (D1)

Yeah, and some teams are playing in the Champions and Europa Leagues during the break, so their pre-season will be even more different.

I can't see there being much travelling, but maybe UEFA will agree to a few small pre-season tournaments hosted in one location, a bit like they're doing with the CL in Portugal.

With the ICC tournaments cancelled does anyone have any idea what preseason might look like this year?
There's a rumour that we're going to have a home friendly in August (the 22nd would make sense) with some fans allowed in as part of the government's pilot scheme into allowing fans back. But there's not going to be many friendlies in any case. After the final day we've got 3 weeks off, 2 weeks of pre-season, and then 2 weeks of international break where we'll only have a few squad members. I can't see travel for friendlies happening either so I expect 2-4 games against other English sides, possibly even totally behind closed door with no live coverage like the Norwich game just before the restart.

Real shame fans can’t return as it would be nice to play some games and have PL clubs helping to raise funds for the lower leagues.

There's a rumour that we're going to have a home friendly in August (the 22nd would make sense) with some fans allowed in as part of the government's pilot scheme into allowing fans back. But there's not going to be many friendlies in any case. After the final day we've got 3 weeks off, 2 weeks of pre-season, and then 2 weeks of international break where we'll only have a few squad members. I can't see travel for friendlies happening either so I expect 2-4 games against other English sides, possibly even totally behind closed door with no live coverage like the Norwich game just before the restart.
That seems a little ambitious to me.

Premier League season to start on 12 September

The 2020-21 Premier League season will start on 12 September and finish on 23 May.

The current campaign will end on Sunday after it was suspended for three months because of the coronavirus pandemic.

The Premier League said it would "continue to consult" with the Football Association and English Football League (EFL) "regarding the scheduling of all domestic competitions".

3 weeks hols for players directly after season starts takes us to mid August so maximum one month pre-season - even though a decent preseason is a minimum of 6 weeks so players will start the season playing slowly to avoid muscular injuries (eg hamstrings) .

Teams still involved in europe will be playing into August, so they will struggle to meet the 12 September start.

I would hope the international break is cancelled - last thing anybody needs and with all the money sloshing round in UEFA and FIFA they shouldn't worry either.

I guess everybody is stuffed with UEFA still intent on holding an overly long (as they increased the numbers of countries competing) Euros 2020 in summer 2021 which is why the season is ending on 23 May. Otherwise it would make far more sense to end the season 2 or 3 weeks later and start it that little bit later to give players a proper pre-season.

Transfer window will be shorter than usual, but still be open for a couple of weeks after the season starts......again starting the season later makes a lot more sense......apart from UEFA insistence on holding an overly large Euros 2020.

And pre-season - maybe 2 games long (or 3 or 4 if JN rotates the squad a lot so games can be played a couple of days apart) as players wont be fit enough to start playing unless after a minimum 2 weeks after restart of the one month pre season.

Can see us playing the likes of QPR or other local teams.

Just a thought, but with certain countries now exempt from our quarantine rules, couldn't we e.g. hook up a friendly with Porto?

He said they'd be no travelling abroad for pre season. With no fans doesnt make much sense having big game friendlies.

They could come here. :ledley:

Just thinking of a way to face higher caliber opposition.... Though tbh, the pickings are pretty slim beyond the main Portuguese teams: Coronavirus (COVID-19): travel corridors

Ah, well QPR, Fulham (*), Brentford(*), Watford(*) & Charlton it is then (fuck Millwall).

(*Subject to relegation/promotion)

Premier League season to start on 12 September

The 2020-21 Premier League season will start on 12 September and finish on 23 May.

The current campaign will end on Sunday after it was suspended for three months because of the coronavirus pandemic.

The Premier League said it would "continue to consult" with the Football Association and English Football League (EFL) "regarding the scheduling of all domestic competitions".

3 weeks hols for players directly after season starts takes us to mid August so maximum one month pre-season - even though a decent preseason is a minimum of 6 weeks so players will start the season playing slowly to avoid muscular injuries (eg hamstrings) .

Teams still involved in europe will be playing into August, so they will struggle to meet the 12 September start.

I would hope the international break is cancelled - last thing anybody needs and with all the money sloshing round in UEFA and FIFA they shouldn't worry either.

I guess everybody is stuffed with UEFA still intent on holding an overly long (as they increased the numbers of countries competing) Euros 2020 in summer 2021 which is why the season is ending on 23 May. Otherwise it would make far more sense to end the season 2 or 3 weeks later and start it that little bit later to give players a proper pre-season.

Transfer window will be shorter than usual, but still be open for a couple of weeks after the season starts......again starting the season later makes a lot more sense......apart from UEFA insistence on holding an overly large Euros 2020.

And pre-season - maybe 2 games long (or 3 or 4 if JN rotates the squad a lot so games can be played a couple of days apart) as players wont be fit enough to start playing unless after a minimum 2 weeks after restart of the one month pre season.

Can see us playing the likes of QPR or other local teams.

I don't think there's any chance of the internationals being cancelled. In fact it's the exact opposite: the October and November periods will have 3 matches rather than the normal 2, squeezed into the same timespan. Since UEFA and FIFA work on a one-member, one-vote basis the power lies with the smaller nations, not the Premier League, and the internationals are a pretty valuable source of revenue to them; there'd also have to be changes to the whole qualifying structure to accommodate smaller games.

There is some talk that teams playing Europe this August might start a little later, but I'm really not sure how that could work - there just isn't any obvious space in the schedule. I'm almost glad we managed to play the 2nd leg before lockdown and lost to Leipzig; would be very hard to see us winning the tournament anyway and it could have a huge impact on next season.

There is also talk about playing the early rounds of the League Cup in the same week as European matches forcing those clubs in Europe to play weakened sides in League cup.

Back
Top Bottom