Pre-Season 24/25 including Asia Tour

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

There is a strong possibility that Spurs will play a post-season friendly after this current campaign with Melbourne mooted as a potential destination - Spurs last scheduled match this season is on Sunday 19 May, so any post season match is likely to be immediately after that.

Spurs will play Bayern Munich (probably August 2) in South Korea and in the Coupang Play Series tournament. As part of a three-match summer tour to Asia, it is believed that Spurs will take on a friendly with Team K League in a K League All-Star game scheduled for July 28.

With the European Championships and Copa America taking place this summer (first match dates 14 June, implying call ups from 1 June), with both having finals close in the middle of July, its not clear which players will be available on the tour.

The 24/25 PL season will start on 17 August 2024, - just 90 days after the 2023/24 PL season ends.

With this timetable its not clear when the players could be given a 3 week holiday break - I can see that being after internationals, screwing up any form of pre-season. The fact is that the international tournaments have now grown to last 6 weeks (including a 2 week pre tournament training schedule) which with the 3 week necessary player holiday is not compatible with the club's necessary pre-season to integrate new players and experiment with new tactics/formation/style of play.

Can we not go back to to games like Exeter City and Plymouth in preseason. The brand is grown enough.
Do you actually want to watch Spurs play Exeter in preseason?

I won't watch when they play Bayern in preseason, either, honestly. Would only watch a preseason match if it were against Woolwich in hopes that we snapped a few of their ankles.

Players have to have a 3 week break after major tournaments, whether we like it or not. World Cup2018 ended with 9 of our players involved in the last weekend. 3 weeks off, one week training and off again.
At the halfway point of that season we had 45 points. En route for 90 and a challenge for the title.
We then fell off a cliff and got 25pts from next 19 games and finished 4th. Still managed to get to CL final though. Players are not machines and eventually they break, which a lot have done this season from all over the league .
The way teams play now, pressing and non stop running doesn’t help. No point Pep twining, he can use 5 subs but only used one the other day.
But of course, as some might say, they are paid millions so should be able to play every day.

I won't watch when they play Bayern in preseason, either, honestly. Would only watch a preseason match if it were against Woolwich in hopes that we snapped a few of their ankles.
Prob worth watching as the youth will get plenty of chances. Devine, Parrot, Donley etc. Mikey Moore might even get in there.

Can we not go back to to games like Exeter City and Plymouth in preseason. The brand is grown enough.

Definitely!

The local fanbase have properly been forgotten by the club, they had open training the other day but there was no engagement apart from with a few select fans. They could easily set up a friendly and have the players meet a load of fans and kids. After all they'll be the ones buying the season tickets in 20 years time and spending money at the ground and not someone on the other side of the world.

From a player and manager POV it must surely be better playing close to home and having more time on the pitch than pissing about on planes and hotels in different countries.

I think in terms of preparation staying in Europe and being more settled is more beneficial for the side. Ultimately preseason to me is about fitness not selling shirts.

Definitely!

The local fanbase have properly been forgotten by the club, they had open training the other day but there was no engagement apart from with a few select fans. They could easily set up a friendly and have the players meet a load of fans and kids. After all they'll be the ones buying the season tickets in 20 years time and spending money at the ground and not someone on the other side of the world.

From a player and manager POV it must surely be better playing close to home and having more time on the pitch than pissing about on planes and hotels in different countries.
I responded to another poster with a similar view on this. It should be all about fitness being settled and prepared for the season ahead. But they go out far and start pre season too early. I say its better for the players to have more rest and get fitness up here.

I tried to get Martin Jols autograph for my mates kid at a friendly against the O,s

When I handed him the programme he looked at me like I was stupid, how the fuck did I know I was supposed to provide the pen as well

Definitely!

Of ALL the clubs to suggest playing in a pre-season, Exeter & Plymouth are probably the furthest away you could get in England...

Imagine if they threw in Carlisle as well... The 'local Spurs fans' would feel just as forgotten!!
(Though I did travel up to Hearts in 1990 for a pre-season... I think I took in the Fringe as well... 'cos I is well rounded an'cultured an all that!)

Don't worry, I'm sure the club will make sure we have some Yoot/u-21s friendlies at Stevenage or Leyton Orient lined up!!

Of ALL the clubs to suggest playing in a pre-season, Exeter & Plymouth are probably the furthest away you could get in England...

Imagine if they threw in Carlisle as well... The 'local Spurs fans' would feel just as forgotten!!
(Though I did travel up to Hearts in 1990 for a pre-season... I think I took in the Fringe as well... 'cos I is well rounded an'cultured an all that!)

Don't worry, I'm sure the club will make sure we have some Yoot/u-21s friendlies at Stevenage or Leyton Orient lined up!!
Just the first lower league teams that popped into my head tbh. But yeah a good old fashion pre season would do better for the squad than travelling all over the world imo.

Just the first lower league teams that popped into my head tbh. But yeah a good old fashion pre season would do better for the squad than travelling all over the world imo.
You were probably a West Country farmworker in a previous life!!!!

I totally agree, whilst I GET that the Global Relations Marketing exercise brings in the much needed "Dolla" ...a couple of English, lower league Club away games are always a bit of fun...
New kit, bit of sunshine, no MUST WIN pressure.... Great days out for everyone!!

Players have to have a 3 week break after major tournaments, whether we like it or not. World Cup2018 ended with 9 of our players involved in the last weekend. 3 weeks off, one week training and off again.
At the halfway point of that season we had 45 points. En route for 90 and a challenge for the title.
We then fell off a cliff and got 25pts from next 19 games and finished 4th. Still managed to get to CL final though. Players are not machines and eventually they break, which a lot have done this season from all over the league .
The way teams play now, pressing and non stop running doesn’t help. No point Pep twining, he can use 5 subs but only used one the other day.
But of course, as some might say, they are paid millions so should be able to play every day.
Not to be rude... but we usually fall of a cliff every season despite world cup or whatever lol.....

Why don’t we try something different. Fuck the 10M or whatever they get from all this and delegate full logistical responsibility the manager….. if he thinks a short trip to Bournemouth is best, vs Weymouth so be it. If he wants to take them to Saudi, the US, Sotu America then back him

I used to love the local friendlies years ago at places like Orient, Stevenage etc. I once saw us completely full strength at St Albans City.

We did to back local pre season in the covid return, played Woolwich at home in front of barely anyone (20,000 odd) and also away at MK Dons.

Realistically though these days its going to be to far flung places. No doubt last year was a huge fuck up with a postponement then a flounce from Roma. I can't see that traveling across the world to just play Lion City Sailors helped us out. If we travel I think it needs to be against decent opposition at least.

Copa America ill include Argentina, Brazil and Uruguay whilst European Championships with 24 teams will mean there are few countries not involved which would include Sweden and uncertainties over whether Wales and Republic of Ireland will qualify.

So the main players likely to be involved on Spurs tours might include :

Goalkeepers - Forster, Austin, Whiteman or Keeley

Defenders - Phillips, Davies (possibly) Porro (last Spanish call up in 2021), Dorrington

Midfield, - Sarr, Bissouma, Skipp, Devine, Bergval

Forwards - Son, Kulusevski, Johnson (possibly), Gil, Parrott, Scarlett,

There might be involvement for a couple of loanees such as Tanganga, Reguilon and Spence whilst a few other u21's might well join the squad including Santiago (several appearances on bench) and a number of others - its not unusual for maybe 6 u21's to be included on a pre-season tour.

So a touring squad of 20 - 25 players is certainly possible even whilst international competitions are going on.

Back
Top Bottom