Premier League set to introduce five substitution rule starting next season

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

ShutUpPatrik

Supporter
Not sure if toxic positivity, or positively toxic?

• The issue is due to be voted on again by the top-flight clubs at a Premier League stakeholders meeting in London
  • Although the bigger clubs were in favour, there was strong opposition from the smaller and mid-sized teams
  • The Premier League is the only major league in Europe to restrict the number to three but club sources say there is high confidence that there is now enough support for it to be increased to five, with a total of nine players allowed on the bench
  • The Professional Footballers Association has also been pushing hard for the increase.

This is good new for players like Bergwijn and Rodon, who could realistically get more chances off the bench now with managers not being as constricted to 3 subs.

• The issue is due to be voted on again by the top-flight clubs at a Premier League stakeholders meeting in London
  • Although the bigger clubs were in favour, there was strong opposition from the smaller and mid-sized teams
  • The Premier League is the only major league in Europe to restrict the number to three but club sources say there is high confidence that there is now enough support for it to be increased to five, with a total of nine players allowed on the bench
  • The Professional Footballers Association has also been pushing hard for the increase.

This is good new for players like Bergwijn and Rodon, who could realistically get more chances off the bench now with managers not being as constricted to 3 subs.
Not a bigger deal as long it's still the same rule of 3 stoppages a game for either team.

I personally don't get why people are angry.

This works well in the European competitions like the UCL and EL. And in top leagues. As long as the club is only allowed to make three breaks in the game to allow for subs I have 0 problem with it being 3 or 5 subs that can be done.

I personally don't get why people are angry.

This works well in the European competitions like the UCL and EL. And in top leagues. As long as the club is only allowed to make three breaks in the game to allow for subs I have 0 problem with it being 3 or 5 subs that can be done.
It favours richer teams with bigger squads (better reserves) , that's the objection.

Yeah, great idea. In addition to this, Woolwich can stop the game at any point if it's not going well for them, and resume play at a point in time that suits them.

Finally, maybe we can see a bit more of our youth players come on when we're comfortably ahead like against Everton where we had to sub Sessegnon off at half time and Romero early on because of a yellow card.

Off top, I'm fine with it.

Can understand why smaller clubs hate the idea; but, if we were the only ones in Europe - major leagues - keeping it to 3, then they've had special benefit of that for a good while.

For a club like us, who are horrible with injuries, it's a plus.

We, clearly, need all the help we can get in that department.

So if it's happening, I'm not gonna hate on it tbh.

Back
Top Bottom