Premier League set to introduce five substitution rule starting next season

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

This is gonna take the thrust out of games and allow teams to strangle the tempo IMO

bad move
By taking off tired players and replacing them with with ones that have a full tank?

[edit] My bad. See what you're getting at. But, making tactical subs to disrupt oppos momentum would usually be made towards the end of games, anyway tbf (if that's what you meant).

Not sure it's had that sort of effect in other leagues.

At least, I've never heard anyone mention it.

Last edited:
By taking off tired players and replacing them with with ones that have a full tank?

[edit] My bad. See what you're getting at. But, making tactical subs to disrupt oppos momentum would usually be made towards the end of games, anyway tbf (if that's what you meant).

Not sure it's had that sort of effect in other leagues.

At least, I've never heard anyone mention it.
Yes mate. Time wasting. Will be impossible to create tension and pepper opponents with corners, attacks etc if they can make a sub on 88, 89, 90, 91 and 92

I would mandate at least 3 have to be made at HT or they are lost and you only get 2, maybe 3 max in second half

This is gonna take the thrust out of games and allow teams to strangle the tempo IMO

bad move

Yeh....

Scenario:

Spurs vs Burnley 0-0 at 80mins..... The boy Dyche is gonna throw on another defender every couple of minutes to a) wind the clock down and b) throttle the life out of the game with a 7-3-0- formation.

I can see the excitement of late winners becoming increasingly rare.

It's only the richest team's benches that are gonna be stocked enough with top attacking talent to counter that kind of scenario.

Hate it.

What other leagues in Europe do is of no concern to me.

Last edited:
Yes mate. Time wasting. Will be impossible to create tension and pepper opponents with corners, attacks etc if they can make a sub on 88, 89, 90, 91 and 92

I would mandate at least 3 have to be made at HT or they are lost and you only get 2, maybe 3 max in second half
Yeah, maybe a good idea.

Again, though, doesn't seem to have been a prob on the continent.

Don't recall it ever being mentioned tbf.

Yeah, maybe a good idea.

Again, though, doesn't seem to have been a prob on the continent.

Don't recall it ever being mentioned tbf.
Seems like you can only make subs 3 times so can’t make 5 separate subs which is good….. good opportunity to make one an u21 and get young uns on the bench

When Poch comes back he still won't use any subs before the 85th minute, so...

Seth Meyers Whatever GIF by Late Night with Seth Meyers

I've kind of liked the idea for a few years now of leaving subs alone and switching to three 30 minute periods, instead. We've kind of tip-toed into anyways with the amount of game stoppages that have proliferated over the past few years.

I think the players and coaches would benefit from a second rest period, and then maybe additional subs wouldn't be required. Minor injuries or knocks could be better assessed and managed, additional tactical instruction or correction could be relayed. On the business side, ad revenue would increase so there's an olive branch there to hopefully ward off the corrosive demands for fixed leagues, etc.

I've kind of liked the idea for a few years now of leaving subs alone and switching to three 30 minute periods, instead. We've kind of tip-toed into anyways with the amount of game stoppages that have proliferated over the past few years.

I think the players and coaches would benefit from a second rest period, and then maybe additional subs wouldn't be required. Minor injuries or knocks could be better assessed and managed, additional tactical instruction or correction could be relayed. On the business side, ad revenue would increase so there's an olive branch there to hopefully ward off the corrosive demands for fixed leagues, etc.
Yeeeeaaahhhh! And they could wear helmets and shoulder pads too - and those nice skin-tight lycra leggings. And we could have college bands marching up & down during the breaks. What a dream!

Yeeeeaaahhhh! And they could wear helmets and shoulder pads too - and those nice skin-tight lycra leggings. And we could have college bands marching up & down during the breaks. What a dream!
It's not moving the game anywhere close to American football. That's a knee jerk response.

It's not moving the game anywhere close to American football. That's a knee jerk response.
Not knee-jerk at all. I thought about your idea for nearly five seconds before starting to type. Anyone who proposes messing about with 2 x 45 minute halves you doesn't love football (sorry, soccer).

News is breaking that this is gonna be done in the WC.

Advert-tastic!!!

Not knee-jerk at all. I thought about your idea for nearly five seconds before starting to type. Anyone who proposes messing about with 2 x 45 minute halves you doesn't love football (sorry, soccer).
I'm possibly the earliest member to join the forum to still be active and posting.

That's a long damn time to fuck around with you folks and not love football, and I think it's superior to having 10 fucking substitutions in one game.

Back
Top Bottom