Prison FC

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Racism doesn’t fall under free speech. If the guy is a cunt, call him a cunt. Don’t be bringing up skin colour for extra weight behind the insult, it outs you as either a filthy racist, or a fucking idiot with no impulse control.

If Joey Barton had called a black police officer a stupid black cunt, no one would have any complaints.

If it’s true, hope she gets the book thrown at her.
I don't quite understand your first sentence, the UK doesn't have "free speech" or rights. There is no right for people to espouse any view in public. We are free to do what is not prohibited by law (instead having a right do something prescribed by law). In fact as long as long as you say something in public and intend to cause alarm, harassment or distress, it is criminal (technically). Therefore your "cunt" point is moot as it would also be an offence just not racially aggravated. I believe, and you probably disagree with this, that we should have pretty much unfettered free speech.

I recall a night in Mascara bar in Stoke Newington, near Tottenham. A discussion came up about free speech with a black guy from America. We had been talking about a lot and then I brought "free speech". I said your country allows people to say racist things, that can't be right. He was totally ignorant about "free speech" in this country and said people can be racist all they want as long as they aren't calling for harm. It was shock for many and he was chucked out. I am not joking this literally happened. I was bemused as a bar full of white people chucked out a black guy out for talking about racism.

Last edited:
I don't quite understand your first sentence, the UK doesn't have "free speech" or rights. There is no right for people to espouse any view in public. We are free to do what is not prohibited by law (instead having a right do something prescribed by law). In fact as long as long as you say something in public and intend to cause alarm, harassment or distress, it is criminal (technically). Therefore your "cunt" point is moot as it would also be an offence just not racially aggravated. I believe, and you probably disagree with this, that we should have pretty much unfettered free speech.

I recall a night in Mascara bar in Stoke Newington, near Tottenham. A discussion came up about free speech with a black guy from America. We had been talking about a lot and then I brought "free speech". I said your country allows people to say racist things, that can't be right. He was totally ignorant about "free speech" in this country and said people can be racist all they want as long as they aren't calling for harm. It was shock for many and he was chucked out. I am not joking this literally happened. I was bemused as a bar full of white people chucked out a black guy out for talking about racism.
Article 10, Human Rights Act 1998?

She is alleged to have called a copper a "stupid white bastard" whilst heavily intoxicated. Not supporting the behaviour but...

Just a further reminder to all that free speech is NOT a right in the UK.

In any case,I have always had a problem with s4A of Public Order Act as it can theoretically apply to most speech in a public place.

"
A person is guilty of an offence if, with intent to cause a person harassment, alarm or distress, he—

(a)uses threatening, abusive or insulting words or behaviour, or disorderly behaviour...

thereby causing that or another person harassment, alarm or distress."
The limitation is popularly known as that of "shouting fire in a crowded theatre". Bizarre as it may seem, in US in the 19th and early 20th century this was apparently a well-established "gag" until it led to a couple of tragedies that saw numerous people killed in stampedes and various states making the joke illegal.

The first known use of the analogy was a prosecutor at the trial of a man accused of espionage for speaking out against WW1 in 1917 whose defence was that he was protected under the First Amendment. The prosecution argued as follows:

Now, he speaks about the Constitution of the United States giving him the authority to do what he did. The Constitution provides that there shall be no abridgement of free speech, it is true; yet it is a fact that a man in a crowded auditorium, or any theatre, who yells "fire" and there is no fire, and a panic ensues and someone is trampled to death, may be rightfully indicted and charged with murder, and may be convicted and sent to the electric chair for making such an outcry when there is no occasion for it. That is an abridgement of the right of free speech according to the defendant's idea.

Last edited:

"Rules are for fools and the guidance of wise men (and women)".

The monkey ladder experiment comes to mind (the allegory about corporate culture). People are very clear that they are not supposed to do something, but they aren't clear about why and you must be 'one of those' if you don't completely agree.

In fact, a big part of my cynicism with society is that people just don't understand WHY we have certain rules, they just follow them blindly and shout at people who skirt them or debate them. I shared my opinion with some white team-mates once about whether someone had been racist and ended up arguing with almost my entire floor (and losing by popular vote). I ended up telling them they were misinterpreting the concept and making matters worse.

Some years later, I had the same debate in a small bar full of white people and the only black guy (who remained quietly in the corner near me) was in bemused disbelief as they all 'defended' the idea of his perceived suffering* and then told me what I was saying was entirely the point (it's about intent to harm).

* I'm pretty sure the only reason the conversation started was so some people could virtue-signal their complete lack of racism given there was a black person in the room.

People can be just as nasty and spiteful with their toes firmly behind the line as they can be with the 'wrong words'. In fact, it's even worse when someone knows they aren't breaking the rules and are still intent on harming. e.g. In the 70s, my dad was a driving instructor for a while and quit when his black pupils kept getting fails even when he knew some of them were his best students by far, while some of his worst students (who happened to be pretty white ladies) got a pass. No words were said, just a different letter.

Sticks and stones....

Last edited:
Racism doesn’t fall under free speech. If the guy is a cunt, call him a cunt. Don’t be bringing up skin colour for extra weight behind the insult, it outs you as either a filthy racist, or a fucking idiot with no impulse control.

If Joey Barton had called a black police officer a stupid black cunt, no one would have any complaints.

If it’s true, hope she gets the book thrown at her.
Must be a pretty big book for them to take a year to decide what to charge her with!

Dani Alves gonna get an early release. Served about a quarter of his sentence. Need to pay 1 million euros in bail, which should be no probs seen how much he earned during his career. Can also count on his best pal Neymar to help him out otherwise.

Proper double standard. Rich cunts really are treated different.

Ps: Robinho, who was convicted of rape and got 9 years in Italy, escaped to Brazil...knowing he couldn't be extradited. Gonna do his time there. Somehow I doubt he'll do hard time...

Dani Alves gonna get an early release. Served about a quarter of his sentence. Need to pay 1 million euros in bail, which should be no probs seen how much he earned during his career. Can also count on his best pal Neymar to help him out otherwise.

Proper double standard. Rich cunts really are treated different.
Rightly or wrongly, people are released on bail from prison pending appeal all the time in Spain.

Obviously it helps if you're rich, as it does in any country, as you can afford the most expensive legal counsel - and the bail of course - but it's nothing out of the ordinary.

Last edited:

Jerry Seinfeld Popcorn GIF by Sheets & Giggles

Reads weird. It was Friday night at a ground? Where there is a private room. Very odd. Both players age 19 but are EPL 'stars'.....odd we have no starting players of this profile...

Can only think of Mainoo as a 19 year old star.

But I doubt it's anyone of that stature nor do I believe they're going to be stars.

Villa, Fulham, Sheff Utd, Luton, Palace, Everton and Wolves were the home teams at the weekend.

Cheeky wee visit to Reddit later to find out who these guys are.

Unless it’s the previously mentioned Manchester based players, one assumes the prsss are being a bit liberal with the word “stars”.

Back
Top Bottom