Progress

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Saw this on Reddit...

The number of points we got from each team:

Capture.png

For starters, we did play better in the bigger games:
Last season from Chavs, City, Woolwich, United, Pool, Saints, Everton, and I'll include Spam ... we got 15 points. This season from those games, we got 22 points.

And then there's ................... 0 points from Stoke this season. :angryscouser:

Last edited:
Saw this on Reddit...

Capture.png

Last season from Chavs, City, Woolwich, United, Pool, Saints, Everton, and I'll include Spam ... we got 15 points. This season from those games, we got 22 points.

And then there's ................... 0 points from Stoke this season. :angryscouser:
How fucking shit were we against Cardiff and Fulham compared to last year? Progress my arse. #pochout

It's been a decent season - with highs and lows. My bet is that we'll all look back to this season fondly because of Harry Kane.
Absolutely. And don't forget the other youngsters breaking through. We really should push on now. It's rare to get a group of the youth team all breaking through at once. Balance it out with some experienced heads (eg Milner, MS) & I think it's happy clappy time.

call me crazy but i prefer to look at total pts rather than select a group. i am suprised we got more last season. considering 1 boring manager got sacked & a crap 1 with no experience took over. but each season is difficult to compare really. personally i think we havent really gone backwards or fowards by much. about par. but the young players coming through is a big positive. they would have come through whoever was in charge.

How fucking shit were we against Cardiff and Fulham compared to last year? Progress my arse. #pochout
that joke wouldnt have gone down well if u had done it the other way round. how shit were ww against qpr & leicester compared to this year? better before poch my arse. #pochgod #avbdidterribly #terribletim

Last edited:
Saw this on Reddit...

Capture.png

No points from Liverpool....still finished above them.

:eriksenlol:

***ESKIMO IN BRINGING UP HARRY REDKNAPP SHOCKER***

Who was or wasn't manager at the time is irrelevant, I was talking about people who claimed points totals were more important that league positions.

I'm guessing you were one of those?

Looking at points is a bit misleading in terms of progress. Goal difference is what tells you whether you won or lost convincingly and has been a better guide to performance (and sustainability of league position) for as long as I can remember.

This season +5 (5th)
Last season +4 (6th AVB + Sherwood)
2012/2013 +20 (5th AVB with Bale force)
2011/2012 +25 (4th with Harry's England related late slide)
2010/2011 +9 (5th in our CL season)
2009/2010 +26 (4th in Redknapp's first full season)
2008/2009 +0 (8th starting with *ahem* 2 points from 8 games...)

As you'll see, regardless of where we finished in the league the GD gives a pretty fair reflection of how well we played. Overlay on top of those figures the fact that the average goal difference of a top 4 side across the last 10 years is around +33 and you get the idea of what level we need to be playing to in order to make the step up to the next level - it's a biggie. Even with Bale and Modric in the side we didn't really get that close to a title challenging level of performance.

So, in order to understand progress we need to look at two things - consistently high level of performance, and ability to dominate weaker teams (the top 4 gets most of it's GD from beating lower table teams not suprisingly). That we moved from +0 GD to +26 in one season shows that it's possible with the right gameplan and mix of players so it's not unreasonable to look at the table come December and expect to see +10 (or better) in the GD column if we want to prove that actual progress is being made.

Its a similar argument to the one used by idiots who claim we only finished 4th because Liverpool were shit and City weren't City.

Wonder if any of those idiots will claim we only finished 5th this season because liverpool are shit, i doubt it

Yet we finished 6th with more points last season. Better and yet worse. That's why looking purely at points and position is pretty bad in terms of understanding performance and progress.

There's a list of points per season here for anyone interested http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Tottenham_Hotspur_F.C._records_and_statistics

Yep, sometimes we score less and achieve higher a position. Sometimes the other way around.
Regardless of the turmoil, for the last 5 years now we've pushed on to be consistently in the 60ish 70ish bracket.
Fair to say we'd have been 5th last season if not for Suarez. Part of that is luck, it really is. Who could have predicted the impact that player would have had?

This to me serves as evidence that anyone exclusively looking at these 2 factors disregarding all other factors (other teams player spending, other teams form, internal probs, player and structural changes, performances on pitch etc blah blah blah) really has an obtuse way of looking at things.

We're consistently 4 or 5 or 6 these days, you don't have to go far back to see that this is a huge improvement. 1 position may well be affected by external factors.

We're not in a strong enough position to be immune to what goes on elsewhere.

But that's just league position. There's also unquantifiable things like memorable/enjoyable games and it's inevitable that with all the changes and problems and lack of finance compared to those above we've not continued to rise each year. I think we've done well especially with all the structural stuff in the background like training ground and alot of other stuff.

Ultimately I enjoyed this season a lot more than last and see more potential for better things next season.
Last season, I was like "not looking forward to next year"

The CL season is probably a good example of external factors influencing perception over and above the league performance. Objectively we were 5th and just +9GD compared to +20's but everyone enjoyed that season because of the Champs League performances so it just felt better.

I'd imagine that without the run to the League Cup final this season the feelings about this season's league performances would be more negative than it is.

Back
Top Bottom