Project Big Picture

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

I can see why the proposals have been put forward, the 'strong' taking the initiative to strengthen their position even further, at the expense of the 'not-so-strong'. The PL is still reasonably competitive, the proposals are not conducive to that continuing.
We as a Club will definitely be up for this - wouldn't be surprised if the safe standing issue has been put forward by us. The proposals re away supporters is a good thing too. I also agree with the third bottom and third top being involved in a play off. But that's as far as I would want it to go.
Don't know what the point of a summer tournament every five years is all about. That's not a way to protect players from playing too many games, is it?!
Put the following words into a coherent sentence:
"in brewery a couldn't pissup a organise"
That last sentence makes no sense Mrs P.

The key line for me is " with the votes of just six of them required to make sweeping changes. These clubs would even be able to veto a new owner taking over a rival club."

I imagine the Newcastle takeover was a bit of a worry. The Saudi's could blow the yanks out of the water spending wise which would hurt their bottom line.

I see the rest of the proposals in regards to the league cup and less teams in the prem as a fan/media focal point in order to sneak through the ownership veto ruling.

"The Premier League, the most lucrative sports league in the world, would see a reduction to 18 teams, and controlling power in the hands of the biggest clubs."

Stopped reading there... Fuck off.

Yep. Not for me. The article seems to suggest that us, Woolwich, Chelsea and Man City would be on board with this but to me it just sounds like Man Utd and Liverpool are driving it. Let’s remember that it was Liverpool’s owners who wanted to change the tv packages so they could sell their own matches and make more money, and also put forward a tv proposition that would leave the smaller PL clubs with a smaller cut of the tv money. I suspect this is an extension of that and it won’t go anywhere.

Yep. Not for me. The article seems to suggest that us, Woolwich, Chelsea and Man City would be on board with this but to me it just sounds like Man Utd and Liverpool are driving it. Let’s remember that it was Liverpool’s owners who wanted to change the tv packages so they could sell their own matches and make more money, and also put forward a tv proposition that would leave the smaller PL clubs with a smaller cut of the tv money. I suspect this is an extension of that and it won’t go anywhere.
Nailed it.

Under the proposals clubs would sell 6 matches abroad, with them keeping all of the money.
If the top 6 are in charge there will be nothing to stop them increasing that to cover all matches and cutting Sky/BT out of it completely.
This means that the "lower" PL clubs would receive less tv monies. There would also be nothing to stop them from stopping all monies to the EFL in future.

Nailed it.

Under the proposals clubs would sell 6 matches abroad, with them keeping all of the money.
If the top 6 are in charge there will be nothing to stop them increasing that to cover all matches and cutting Sky/BT out of it completely.
This means that the "lower" PL clubs would receive less tv monies. There would also be nothing to stop them from stopping all monies to the EFL in future.

It’s all to do with the tv money. Ever since the new Liverpool owners have come in they’ve been pushing for a larger slice of it for them and less for everyone else. I remember reading at least 2 or 3 articles at different times about them pushing for this.

The movement across the big European leagues is for an expanded CL format at the expense of a smaller domestic league, so I don't think the PL will have any choice but to follow suit eventually. Won't happen till 2024 though.

It will be completely backed by the top 6 - if you don’t think we would be fully behind this then you are being naive. You don’t have to defend the club on everything single point especially when it will try to reshape the league on its own favour at the expense of the game.

I've not said anything in defense of the club; nor am I being naive.

It's shit for the game regardless of whom makes up the NINE clubs.

My original question was in what way is the proposed scheme "worse" for us being one of the designated nine clubs?

If I supported Luton the game wouldn't be any less ruined.

I've not said anything in defense of the club; nor am I being naive.

It's shit for the game regardless of whom makes up the NINE clubs.

My original question was in what way is the proposed scheme "worse" for us being one of the designated nine clubs?

If I supported Luton the game wouldn't be any less ruined.

But we know who will make up this group - it will primarily be the big 6 who can veto the other 3.

Again it worse because our own club is part of this cabal and I have little doubt that they are fully behind this. It’s bad for supporters who are custodians of this club whose own board would chose to employ this.

And it makes a huge difference as there’s clubs will have the capacity to shape the game in the way wish and if they want. Luton is a poor example to use given their major achievement in the game was winning the league cup in’88 but if the top 6 get their way this tournament would scrapped simply to ease their fixture congestion.

Against this proposal and the extortionate pricing of £15 for premiership matches. I see the Government has condemned this but not the recent deal with Sky/BT which is ripping off fans. Both are wrong.

But we know who will make up this group - it will primarily be the big 6 who can veto the other 3.

Probably, but as part of that nine, the other 3's interests will soon become aligned with the others on most matters anyway, so i don't see your point in saying this.

Again it worse because our own club is part of this cabal and I have little doubt that they are fully behind this. It’s bad for supporters who are custodians of this club whose own board would chose to employ this.

You seem to have a weird take on this... In that it's "worse" for the clubs that stand to get fucked over less than the other 83 teams in the pyramid.

And it makes a huge difference as there’s clubs will have the capacity to shape the game in the way wish and if they want. Luton is a poor example to use given their major achievement in the game was winning the league cup in’88 but if the top 6 get their way this tournament would scrapped simply to ease their fixture congestion.

Christ knows in what way this last para is a reply to this:

"If I supported [insert Norwich, Wigan or Southend Utd. for what diff. it makes] the game wouldn't be any less ruined."

Every comment you're making to me on the matter seems to be on the basis that I'm an advocate for the proposed measures..... I have no idea why.

Probably, but as part of that nine, the other 3's interests will soon become aligned with the others on most matters anyway, so i don't see your point in saying this.

You seem to have a weird take on this... In that it's "worse" for the clubs that stand to get fucked over less than the other 86 teams in the pyramid.

Christ knows in what way this last para is a reply to this:

"If I supported [insert Norwich, Wigan or Southend Utd. for what diff. it makes] the game wouldn't be any less ruined."

Every comment you're making to me on the matter seems to be on the basis that I'm an advocate for the proposed measures..... I have no idea why.

Have to agree. Haven't seen anything from you to suggest that you and Ossie Wembley aren't in agreement that this is a terrible idea.

Have to agree. Haven't seen anything from you to suggest that you and Ossie Wembley aren't in agreement that this is a terrible idea.

Indeed. I'm just utterly baffled by this notion that it somehow stands to be worse for us (as one of the big 6) than it does for Newcastle, Burnley, Hull, Sunderland, L.Orient etc. etc. etc.

Football sold out years ago - this is just the natural progression of that. They are most definitely using the covid crisis to their advantage to try to force this through which is totally immoral but goes on day in day out at every large business. It's literally screw the little guy.

Unfortunately the quest for money is far more important than anything else. The consideration and plight of the fans is irrelevant in the modern game.

Its just sad

"Football without fans is nothing, you play a big match without any fans then you've got nothing" Jock Stein

Cricket actually went through with something similar to this and now all the power is with 3 boards.

The ECB, the BCCI and Cricket Australia.

It is a disaster and killing everyone else.

Avoid shit like this like the plague.

£20 away tickets seems like the only decent thing , I honestly feel this change will happen and a huge percentage of fans just won’t bother with football any more ,
Well not top flight any way. It’s all about the money these days .

Indeed. I'm just utterly baffled by this notion that it somehow stands to be worse for us (as one of the big 6) than it does for Newcastle, Burnley, Hull, Sunderland, L.Orient etc. etc. etc.
I don't think he means it's worse for the club, but that it's worse as a fan knowing that your club would be one of those pushing for such a shit deal. As in morally worse for fans to be associated with it. I've only skim read though so may be wrong.

Back
Top Bottom