Ray Clemence RIP

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

I always said it took him a couple of months to learn how to be a proper goalkeeper when he came down to us, I could have played in goal with that Liverpool defence. :)
But you couldn’t have put your knitting 🧶 in the back of the goal
Not even at Anfield!

Only other one that springs to mind, was in the Charity Shield against Villa.
One for England against the Scots too, Dalglish's shot went through his legs but it was pretty close and the whole goal to aim at. Over the years it's a pretty phenomenal record. I can recall a load more mistakes by Shilton for England. And no way would Maradonna ever scored the "hand of dog" goal. Clem would have anticipated him coming through, got there early and destroyed him.

Lots of LFC oldies saying he was the best they ever saw. Patrolled his box at a time when keepers just didn't do that. He'd have had a very good career in the modern game.

One for England against the Scots too, Dalglish's shot went through his legs but it was pretty close and the whole goal to aim at. Over the years it's a pretty phenomenal record. I can recall a load more mistakes by Shilton for England. And no way would Maradonna ever scored the "hand of dog" goal. Clem would have anticipated him coming through, got there early and destroyed him.

Lots of LFC oldies saying he was the best they ever saw. Patrolled his box at a time when keepers just didn't do that. He'd have had a very good career in the modern game.
Yup - at Hampden. 79/80 I think.

I also thought that Clem would have saved that shot against Germany when the ball went over Shilts head after hitting Parker

I also thought that Clem would have saved that shot against Germany when the ball went over Shilts head after hitting Parker
Oh absolutely. That was 1990, Shitlon must have been about 60 at the time.

The one that really grates is Shilton being beaten at the near post against Poland which was the match which kicked us out of the 1974 World Cup. Slow to get down. Poland reached the semis in West Germany, and we had absolutely BATTERED them at Wembley. I'd be curious to see a retrospective XPG, imo around 10-0.

A month later, PS made a ricket of the goal in another 0-1 defeat at Wembley to Italy.

Was Clem injured at the time?

If PS had been anywhere near as good as Clem at that time, he'd have been snapped up by bigger clubs that Leicester or Stoke. Later he hit his peak at Forest, although I recall an absolute howler which blew the League Cup Final v Wolves, 0-1.

Prize for anyone who can remember Shilton ever saving a penalty. I can't recall a single one. In the dying seconds of the 1990 1-1 with Germany in the semis I was yelling at the telly for Robson to get Shilton off the pitch and replaced by Beasant. DB had made history a couple of years earlier by saving an FA Cup Final pen for Wimbledon.

It was inevitable it was going to pens
It was inevitable that Shilton wouldn't stop one
It was inevitable that the Germans would hit the target every time
It was inevitable that we'd lose the shootout
it was inevitable that the winner would win the final against a depleted Argentina

groan

Its a real shame the Lane will be empty on Saturday, it would have been nice to hear 60,000 lilywhites bidding him farewell and godspeed.

I see Liverpool are at home on Sunday, the same goes for the tribute they would have paid the great man

Never got to see him play but my Dad and Grandad always raved about him and were convinced he was better than Shilton.

However, I did see the season he was co-manager in 92/93. It was a difficult transition season having lost Lineker, Gazza, Walsh and Paul Stewart in pre-season. 3 uncapped players were signed in Teddy Sheringham, Neil Ruddock and Daren Anderton with Nick Barmby, Ian Walker and Sol Campbell breaking through from the youth set up. All of them would later go on to be play for England. We finished a credible 8th that year having finished 15th under the previous management the season before.

I am not exaggerating but I honestly feel that we had periods that year when we played some of the best football I have ever seen from Spurs, we just lacked a bit of constancy. We also had one of those near magical FA Cup runs in the year of the cockerel where we beat Marlow 5-1, knocked out Norwich 2-0 away (who were top of the premier league at the time), 3-2 to the crazy gang of Wimbledon before beating Man City 4-2 at Maine Road in a cup tie that literally had everything. We eventually got knocked out 1-0 to Woolwich in the semi final at Wembley but we were cheated out of a penalty at 0-0 when Anderton who was about to go one on one with the GK was scythed down by Andy Linighan and nothing but a corner given.

Unfortunately Ray and Doug Livermore got caught in the cross fire of the Sugar / Venables debacle and were not allowed to continue their good work. The rest of the 90s were pretty bleak for Spurs and I always felt that Ray's departure was a lost opportunity of what could have been.

RIP Ray

Fantastic tributes from his team mates on the official site, he was obviously well loved by everyone. He was mostly responsible for the team spirit that still exists from that era.

Back
Top Bottom