Return of DoF?

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

ArcspacE

ENIC OUT NOW !!! ⭐ ⭐ ⭐ ⭐ ⭐
Very good interview with AVB - feels like he could be here for quite some time (hopefully) and be part of a long-term vision for the club and our outlook.

Andre Villas-Boas hoping to add a technical director to Tottenham staff
Last Updated: May 18, 2013 7:13am
Tottenham boss Andre Villas-Boas is hoping the arrival of a technical director at White Hart Lane next season will help move the club forward.
The Portuguese, who will be hoping to end his first full season in charge in the Premier League by sneaking Spurs in to the top-four, became used to working under a director while working in Italy and Portugal.
And working with someone who deals with off the pitch issues, including player recruitment, leaving Villas-Boas to concentrate on managing the squad, is something the boss feels will benefit the north London side.
"We have been outlining the route ahead for what we want to do in terms of the club structure," the Spurs manager said.
"Hopefully (there will be) the arrival of somebody else in the structure for the recruitment side, a technical director.
"It is a position I am used to working with and ideally it is someone that will help us to move forward."
Fans may be doubtful, however, when reminded by the fractious relationship ex-manager Martin Jol endured with former director of football Damien Comolli.
But Villas-Boas said: "It's not fundamental, but it will help the club moving forward.
"It's something that I am used to working with. A number of experiences that we had with Jose (Mourinho) at Inter Milan with (Marco) Branca which was always positive.
"Not only me as a manager but when I was with him so I think it's something that works. Since the first day I told the club that it's somebody who is extremely important in my view to the structure of the club."

http://www1.skysports.com/football/...o-add-a-technical-director-to-Tottenham-staff

People always say it doesn't work in this country, but I have never seen any evidence WHY that is.

I'm all for continuity. If clubs continue to churn managers so quickly, it makes sense to have a consistent man at the top. Unless he also gets the sack on a regular basis, of course.

West Brom is arguably a 'local' example where they've had good returns with such structure recently

I also think there are far more example of positive precedents compared to those which 'failed'

A DoF or technical director needs to be on a long contract, otherwise it makes no sense. I think they should also be 'club' men, so they stay loyal .

Arnesen and Comolli came and went pretty quickly and such upheaval was bad for the club. It was counterproductive.

We'd need someone who is willing to spend 10 years to build the club up.

Baldini's name was thrown about not so long ago - personally I'm indifferent to him - although for me it becomes more important to have someone with great understanding of the game, scouting (along with establishing international networks, much like most top clubs do), youth development, management, etc. - as opposed to someone like Pleat who was very much a 'clubman', etc.

On a similar note - have we replaced our head of scouting yet, following Broomfield's departure?

The DoF role could and would work perfectly well providing the DoF and the Coach are working together. If one is just out to find players and the other is expected to just get on with what he gets given, it won't work.

The DoF role could and would work perfectly well providing the DoF and the Coach are working together. If one is just out to find players and the other is expected to just get on with what he gets given, it won't work.

Which is why I would expect AVB to have substantial input into his possible selection.

Baldini's name was thrown about not so long ago - personally I'm indifferent to him - although for me it becomes more important to have someone with great understanding of the game, scouting (along with establishing international networks, much like most top clubs do), youth development, management, etc. - as opposed to someone like Pleat who was very much a 'clubman', etc.

On a similar note - have we replaced our head of scouting yet, following Broomfield's departure?

My fear is that, if he does a good job for two years, he'll get poached.

That's why I'd want a club man.

A club man can also be poached (as can AVB for that matter) - for me there are very little guarantees in the modern game but if the 'right' structure is established from the onset - it can lay the foundations for a medium/long-term development strategy which can see us reap the benefits for decades.

I understand your concerns but if the 'right' man is doing a great job - he'd most likely stick around a bit longer than 2 years and fully develop is ideas/strategies instead of looking for the quick pay-cheque

"EVENING ALL....!!!!!!!!"

p014hyn9.jpg

People always say it doesn't work in this country, but I have never seen any evidence WHY that is.

I'm all for continuity. If clubs continue to churn managers so quickly, it makes sense to have a consistent man at the top. Unless he also gets the sack on a regular basis, of course.
I've mentioned this podcast every time a DoF comes up on this forum, so I guess I'll do it again…

Last season, every club that won a medal as well as all the clubs that won promotion to the PL had DoFs.

Gnash your teeth at how he ruined Spurs by signing Assou-Ekotto all you want, but Damien Comolli does a great job explaining what a DoF does and how, like you've said, the important thing is to have a person who provides some continuity at the top.

Seriously, everyone, go listen to this podcast.

As they describe it:
FM Podcast said:
12 Oct 2012 - The Football Manager 2013 Podcast 4
This week’s podcast is a ‘must listen’ for anyone with an interest in how football works, as we take an in-depth look at one of the most contentious roles in the modern game… the Director of Football. Joining presenter Ankur Desai and FM supremo to talk about this are the most famous exponent of the role in the English game – Damien Comolli – and the Norwegian TV journalist Lars Siversten. Think you know what a Director of Football does? You don’t… at least not until you’ve listened to this.
Here it is on Soundcloud:

Hahahahahahaha, he was alright to be fair - possibly hindered by one of our shittest periods in recent history

Thing is, if Pleaty hadn't 'hindered himself' in a Luton side street when he was still our manager, he would probably STILL be our manager!!!

Personally, I'd like to see Keith Burkinshaw back.....
Let's take this to the '80s!!!

I think it's a position that we badly need to re-institute at this point in time. The old system of Levy bringing in players for the manager, which worked fine under Harry "make something from anything" Redknapp, is going to hamper Villas-Boas' attempts to implement his plans at the club. Dembele, Sigurdsson, Dempsey and Holtby are all excellent players, but none of them are AVB's signings which means he's had to compromise on his preferred tactics for months to fit them in (only underlining what a good job he's done this season).

What this club really needs is a figure who can act as a go-between between Levy and the manager, interact with both, come to understand their different objectives and then find targets that satisfy both. An ally of AVB's in the boardroom who will make sure that footballing objectives and the playing philosophy of the club, rather than pure value, guide our transfer movements in the months to come.

I think Baldini, who has a fine relationship with AVB, would be a good fit for this role.

I think it's a position that we badly need to re-institute at this point in time. The old system of Levy bringing in players for the manager, which worked fine under Harry "make something from anything" Redknapp, is going to hamper Villas-Boas' attempts to implement his plans at the club. Dembele, Sigurdsson, Dempsey and Holtby are all excellent players, but none of them are AVB's signings which means he's had to compromise on his preferred tactics for months to fit them in (only underlining what a good job he's done this season).

What this club really needs is a figure who can act as a go-between between Levy and the manager, interact with both, come to understand their different objectives and then find targets that satisfy both. An ally of AVB's in the boardroom who will make sure that footballing objectives and the playing philosophy of the club, rather than pure value, guide our transfer movements in the months to come.

I think Baldini, who has a fine relationship with AVB, would be a good fit for this role.

So what you're saying is we need someone of immense personal dimension?

Thing is, if Pleaty hadn't 'hindered himself' in a Luton side street when he was still our manager, he would probably STILL be our manager!!!

Personally, I'd like to see Keith Burkinshaw back.....
Let's take this to the '80s!!!

I was always led to believe that he did his whoring just up the road from seven sisters going towards manor house.

They were rough, rough girls. The cheapest of the cheap. That's why he got so pilloried.

Back
Top Bottom