Return of DoF?

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

I think the important thing is that the manager remains the main man.

The DoF should be there in a supporting role rather than coming in as an extra boss.

When it went wrong in the past we essentially had two individuals who were both selected by Levy rather than a management team - the DoF either needs to pick the manager they work with or vice versa.

DoF only doesn't work when the manager doesn't want it.

Or when the DoF is a snide back stabbing cunt with eyes on the managers job themselves...
david-pleat-o.gif

I think we need to go about installing a more modern, intelligent set up at the club if we are to really progress from here. Clubs that win a lot have their shit together. It's not an unpredictable run of results where the team happens to play some exciting stuff every few months. It's entirely predictable, what they do. They have a well run institution where, if a manager leaves, or a key player leaves, the club continues winning things.

It seems like AVB is a a rare thing in England: a manager who is sensible enough to know that the success of the club should not be built solely on his shoulders. He wants a more indepth structure at the club. It's nice to see he is planning to build for the future here.

Ideally the DoF is the man with the plan and the philosophy. So if for instance, Mr.DoF X is a tiki taka guy, and he takes over at a club, he needs to hire a head coach who has the same philosophy as him and then buy the players to fit into both the formation and style of play the DoF wants from the HC.

I don't understand why we're so resistant to the idea of a DoF in this country because nearly every serious team in Europe operates this system.

As it pertains to the relationship between the DoF and the HC, it should always be the DoF with more authority. The HC's job should only be coaching and preparing whatever players he's given to win games, that's his job and his responsibility.

It sounds like AVB is involved in the process of getting a Technical Director.

This is good.

It didn't work before as there seems to be a divide between manager and the DoF, but if they are both on the same page and trusted by the chairman then its a good move.

More importantly it implies that AVB and Co are here for the long term. Hopefully we will see backroom staff come in who want to set a system that will flow through the club and last, rather than the quick fix managers that we have sometimes had in the past.

We have the training facicilities, and already are producing players that are good enough for the premier league and championship, if not good enough for the very top level. Although we all wish all these kids could put on the shirt and be world class, the reality is that selling a couple for £2-6M each season will help the clubs finances, and if we get a world class player, brilliant... excellent for the team, or a huge transfer fee.

win win situation.

Just need the right people in place and some patience and understanding from the board.

A DoF or technical director needs to be on a long contract, otherwise it makes no sense. I think they should also be 'club' men, so they stay loyal .

Arnesen and Comolli came and went pretty quickly and such upheaval was bad for the club. It was counterproductive.

We'd need someone who is willing to spend 10 years to build the club up.

The problem was, with Arnesen, he was ideal. Very focused on his job, but only his job and he did it well, I feel. But of course, he did it too well, and thats why Chelsea nicked him. You're always going to get that kind of problem, which is why I agree that it helps if they already have a history and loyalty to the club....but I can't think of anyone suitable.

If it helps Andre I'm for it. He's obviously the one we want going forward so anything to aid the cause.

If the manager is willingly ceding some of his powers to someone in order to focus on the day-to-day tactics, training, and motivational side to the thing then it can only help. Especially if the DOF is a close personal friend who is on the same wavelength.

So the noises coming out of Roma is that Baldini is staying. The reason I post is that there are rumours that Martin Jol is being considered by Hamburg to replace general manager Frank Amesen, who was sacked last week. Would I be the only one who thinks having Mr Jol back at Tottenham as DOF is fucking perfect? (Could the big man work with Levy again, I guess is the question??).

Can you imagine us singing "AVB's blue & white army", "I love Steffan Freund" & "I love Martin Jol, Martin Jol loves me".

How nice to see so many fans giving an intelligent response to this thread, not the usual media inspired 'DOF is Death' drivel. Some really good things being said by many, with some interesting information coming across.

I'd just like to add that running a football club takes a team, the bigger it is the bigger the team, and if it works they need to work together as a team, just like players who pass without looking KNOWING the other player will be there. The problems only arise if one of the team members is not playing...

I think one of the problems with Ramos was that we recruited the wrong members of the team - IIRC he had an excellent DOF who we didn't take, as we had Commolli. If we'd taken him as well, I bet Ramos would have worked!

And also, I thought we had a DOF and his name is Tim Sherwood..... clearly hasn't pulled it off...:p

How nice to see so many fans giving an intelligent response to this thread, not the usual media inspired 'DOF is Death' drivel. Some really good things being said by many, with some interesting information coming across.

I'd just like to add that running a football club takes a team, the bigger it is the bigger the team, and if it works they need to work together as a team, just like players who pass without looking KNOWING the other player will be there. The problems only arise if one of the team members is not playing...

I think one of the problems with Ramos was that we recruited the wrong members of the team - IIRC he had an excellent DOF who we didn't take, as we had Commolli. If we'd taken him as well, I bet Ramos would have worked!

And also, I thought we had a DOF and his name is Tim Sherwood..... clearly hasn't pulled it off...:p
We do have a DOF, his name is not Tim, it's Daniel...:)

Back
Top Bottom