Roberto Soldado

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Acrylic on canvas. I knackered up my wrist playing in goal when I was a bit younger (multiple fractures), so my hand tends to tremor unless supported, so I moved from oils to acrylics because they dry within 10 mins, meaning I can rest my hand on the paint without issue (oils take weeks to dry). If that makes sense.

As much as I would like to be able to paint in a more 'artistic' style (or so some would say), I ended up in the habit of more traditional portraits - probably because I studied Rembrandt and Singer Sargent in school. When you then move into acrylics, it's hard to get the same soft blends, so I just ended up in sort of my own thing. It's not something I do regularly, as I can tend to knuckle down into anything I do and spend all of my free time until its done (including jigsaw puzzles, which I'm banned from doing at home now by the mrs lol).

This was my Soldado, done when I had 2 days off around Christmas a couple of years ago. Others would take me 3 or 4 weeks, although I have taken 2 or 3 years to do some.

B5igMERIIAAbUFk.jpg

That's as far as I got with that one, a lot of mine tend to be black backgrounds with minimal detail outside of faces.

Edit: Based off this photo, which I think was against cardiff

Roberto-Soldado.jpg

Outstanding work sir. I also do art and wish I could paint quite as well.

Last edited:
So, by this stage in his debut season, Roberto had scored 10 goals in 20 games (approx) and was in the process of being picked apart and ruined by Captain Win Ratio.

By comparison, VJ has 3 goals in around 22 games. You can't really directly compare them both, other than by shirt number (which imo is cursed), cost around the £20m mark, were prolific in their previous seasons, but they both had a different style of game and opportunities.

However, I've been wondering which is worse:

a) A striker that doesn't score because he doesn't get chances - potentially because he just doesn't have a knack for where to be to get them (unlike Kane, where this was the ability that helped him take his chances in the early days)

or

b) A striker that can get in the right places, but fluffs them for one reason or another.

I'd say that Vincent is in camp 'a', where Roberto was in camp 'b'.

Both were also signed in a system that didn't compliment them, which doesn't help.

Soldado is the bigger flop on the basis that he was genuinely a top class international striker who would be the player besides Ronaldo/Messi who scored alot of goals in La Liga.

Janssen has age on his side.

Yeah, Soldado failed. There is no doubt about that. He was proven in a better league and was older and had done it for more than one season. He cost more too. And he did get chances, he just screwed it up.

I still love the guy mind. Gotta love a trier and I think he really did love the club.

Yeah, Soldado failed. There is no doubt about that. He was proven in a better league and was older and had done it for more than one season. He cost more too. And he did get chances, he just screwed it up.

I still love the guy mind. Gotta love a trier and I think he really did love the club.

Yup. He's a more expensive and more mediteranean Steffen Freund

So, by this stage in his debut season, Roberto had scored 10 goals in 20 games (approx) and was in the process of being picked apart and ruined by Captain Win Ratio.

By comparison, VJ has 3 goals in around 22 games. You can't really directly compare them both, other than by shirt number (which imo is cursed), cost around the £20m mark, were prolific in their previous seasons, but they both had a different style of game and opportunities.

However, I've been wondering which is worse:

a) A striker that doesn't score because he doesn't get chances - potentially because he just doesn't have a knack for where to be to get them (unlike Kane, where this was the ability that helped him take his chances in the early days)

or

b) A striker that can get in the right places, but fluffs them for one reason or another.

I'd say that Vincent is in camp 'a', where Roberto was in camp 'b'.

VJ isn't a regular though, and comparing minutes played would show different results.

No doubt VJ is vastly better suited to the league than Soldado.

VJ isn't a regular though, and comparing minutes played would show different results.

You'd think, but it doesn't. Counting up to and including the 1st Jan, both on debut seasons, mins are approximate and stats are from ESPN FC. Calcs are done to 2 DP.

Roberto Soldado 2013/14 (Roberto Soldado Player Profile - ESPN FC)
Vincent Janssen 2016/17 (Vincent Janssen Player Profile - ESPN FC)

Totals:

Player / Starts(Subs) / Mins Played / Goals / Assists / Shots (On Target)
Soldado
... 20(1).................1524..................10......... 4 ..............44 (14)
Janssen ...11(13)...............1200.................. 3.......... 2...............36 (13)

Per 90

Player / Mins % 90 / Goals per 90 / Assists per 90 / Shots (On Target) per 90
Soldado
... 16.93................0.59 ...................... 0.24 ..................2.6 (0.83)
Janssen ...13.33................0.23 ...................... 0.15 ..................2.7 (0.98)

Both were also signed in a system that didn't compliment them, which doesn't help.

Soldado is the bigger flop on the basis that he was genuinely a top class international striker who would be the player besides Ronaldo/Messi who scored alot of goals in La Liga.

Janssen has age on his side.
how can you say Bobby was a bigger flop? he had a decent scoring return in season 1 and his link play was very good throughout. He was a successful, established La Liga player, but not his country's first choice - its not like we bought David Villa. He went to total shit of course, but at least he gave the initial impression was actually a footballer.
He cost 2 mill more than Janssen - 20 mill is probably acceptable for a consistent high scorer in Spain, rather than 18mill for a one season wonder from holland.
shit I'm laying into Janssen again, I've got to stop.

how can you say Bobby was a bigger flop? he had a decent scoring return in season 1 and his link play was very good throughout. He was a successful, established La Liga player, but not his country's first choice - its not like we bought David Villa. He went to total shit of course, but at least he gave the initial impression was actually a footballer.
He cost 2 mill more than Janssen - 20 mill is probably acceptable for a consistent high scorer in Spain, rather than 18mill for a one season wonder from holland.
Different market though. We're living in a world where Ryan Mason cost 15 million and Crystal Palace are spending 60 million in a single summer without breaking a sweat.

Different market though. We're living in a world where Ryan Mason cost 15 million and Crystal Palace are spending 60 million in a single summer without breaking a sweat.
true, but even if there was a 5/10 mill gap in the cost of each - on the performances over the first 10 games of their Spurs careers - Bobby is miles better than Vincent.

Soldado was more experienced, was getting games at one of the best national teams of this era and was scoring 20+ goals every single season for years.

Came to us. Couldn't replicate it, hasn't been in the Spanish team since. Sent back to La Liga where he tore it up before and couldn't replicate previous form and has since had a long term injury.

Where as Janssen is younger than Kane, younger than Batshauyi, younger than Berahino etc all the players we have or been linked with for striking options, tore it up in a less than popular league. Hasn't done much since he's come though didn't come in as a first choice striker hoping to replicate form like last season and if was sold in the summer could probably go back to the Dutch League and get back to firing on all cylinders with 15 more years left in him.

true, but even if there was a 5/10 mill gap in the cost of each - on the performances over the first 10 games of their Spurs careers - Bobby is miles better than Vincent.
Agreed, I'm actually a big fan of Bobby (just look at my avatar lol). I'm just saying that if Janssen never does get good, it won't be as big of a failure for the club financially. 18 million is nothing for a PL club these days.

Back
Top Bottom