Rodrigo Bentancur

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

A CM who drifts in to wider positions can be VERY effective if his midfield partner(s) are capable of filling the space he leaves behind. It creates a significant tactical problem for the opposition by creating overloads.

I think it was Conte who at Juve had Pogba playing in a wider midfield role with players like Marchisio & Vidal filling the spaces and doing the leg work. You then had Pogba thriving in a way we've never seen since.

This is all speculation though, it may be we see Kulusevski as purely a wide player, but I'd be interested to see if we try and use him to fix our issue of lacking creativity in midfield.
Rather we signed a through the middle juggernaut/general like Moussa D.

Rather we signed a through the middle juggernaut/general like Moussa D.
I'd take a 1000 Dembeles if I could, but there's no one like him. Definitely one of the most unique footballers I've ever seen and one of my all time favorites.

Bentancur averages an assist every 484 mins in Serie A. For comparison, Brozovic averages an assist every 582 mins and Barella's average is every 537 mins.

If you are using that to judge who is the more progressive/creative passer I think you are going to be very disappointed.

A CM who drifts in to wider positions can be VERY effective if his midfield partner(s) are capable of filling the space he leaves behind. It creates a significant tactical problem for the opposition by creating overloads.

I think it was Conte who at Juve had Pogba playing in a wider midfield role with players like Marchisio & Vidal filling the spaces and doing the leg work. You then had Pogba thriving in a way we've never seen since.

This is all speculation though, it may be we see Kulusevski as purely a wide player, but I'd be interested to see if we try and use him to fix our issue of lacking creativity in midfield.

Personally, not a massive fan of 'wonky' system, but would be keen to see something a little more orthodox:

Hugo
Romer / Dier / Davies

Berg -------- B'cur ------------ Skipp -------- Reg
Kulu

Son / Kane​

Last edited:
The sideways passing? Yeah he likes that. Very unambitious passer of the ball and has been accused of being overly safe. He offers some of the work rate/tackling that Hojbjerg gets through, and he keeps his passing game simple. Better at winning the ball that Hojbjerg though, but honestly probably less of an attacking threat.

We absolutely still need another CM who offers a more progressive passing range. Someone in there who is brave and wants to carry the ball forward & also will look to pass forwards most of the time. That won't come cheap.
It's the system he is playing in. Locatelli was known for his passing ability , yet has also been playing it safe at Juve. When playing in a CM3 under Sarri, he was averaging 1.5 key passes per game (more than Brozovic or Barella managed under Conte).

It's the system he is playing in. Locatelli was known for his passing ability , yet has also been playing it safe at Juve. When playing in a CM3 under Sarri, he was averaging 1.5 key passes per game (more than Brozovic or Barella managed under Conte).

It definitely isn't entirely the system. Locatelli may have dropped off creatively but whenever I've watched Juve he's still a world away from Bentancur in terms of willingness to pass forwards. The system may be a contributory factor, but there are other midfielders playing there who don't play in this fashion.

That doesn't surprise me - Sarri midfielders play very differently to what Conte demands from his midfielders. I don't expect Bentancur to be getting many assists/key passes with us and that's fine, as long as he provides what Conte expects from him.

Look how excited he is to join Spurs! Already scoring worldies at the mere prospect of wearing our shirt.

Juve in the mud, we are colossal

Back
Top Bottom