Romero - Do we pay the fee? (.....A poll)

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Should we make Romero permanent?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
VVD went for 60. And that was a few years ago. His price at that age and experience, now, would be closer to 80 at least.

Romero is younger than he was (or the same age?) and while he hasn't been the EPLs best CB, he's been in the conversation I'd reckon. Not bad for a first season.

He's also not going for 60. 50 it was I think?

VVD was signed for £75m. Romero will be £42m to make the signing (not included previous loan fee).

Romero is still not the finished article and has had some worrying moments, but I think he improves our side. I believe he has the raw attributes to be a top centreback. He is by no means perfect, he does need to improve in the air but we have a few months and lots of games to truly evaluate him before anything is official.

VVD went for 60. And that was a few years ago. His price at that age and experience, now, would be closer to 80 at least.

£75m... World record at the time.

(Now McGuire £80m)

Romero is younger than he was (or the same age?) and while he hasn't been the EPLs best CB, he's been in the conversation I'd reckon. Not bad for a first season.

He's also not going for 60. 50 it was I think?

(See the OP.)

Not a chance we pay the fee.
Plenty of British centre halves available for far less that would do a better job
Who? Get one or two to replace Sanchez and rodon then. Romero and dier need more games together. Davies is not good enough so we need potentially 2 maybe even 3 centre backs.

Who? Get one or two to replace Sanchez and rodon then. Romero and dier need more games together. Davies is not good enough so we need potentially 2 maybe even 3 centre backs.

Rom + Dier + [new LCB]
(Sanchez or Tanganga + [CCB new] + Ben)

Rodon clearly ain't getting a sniff so he and one of DS or JT need to go.

He needs an a partner who can dominate in the air as that's his weakness. But generally the upside outweighs the downside.

Cody (wolves).
Dunk(Brighton).
Konsa (villa).
Evans (Leicester).
All 4 would do a better job and not cost the 40+ million transfer fee.
Cody especially you would also get a leader who will organise the back 3 around him
You think 34 year old Jonny Evans, that has been out injured more than he's played this season, would do a better job than Romero?

Sign him, don't sign him, makes no difference, whoever we sign will maybe look good for a few games and then fall victim to the phenomena that makes all Spurs sides look like they don't partake in any kind of physical, tactical or technical training between games, even under some of the most successful managers of the modern era...

Call NatWest and shut down the Transfers Account, might as well put the cheque book into deep storage and just play whatever crud picks up a BTEC from the clubs Academy, they're all just going to end up the same level of abject dross in the end anyway.

Cody (wolves).
Dunk(Brighton).
Konsa (villa).
Evans (Leicester).
All 4 would do a better job and not cost the 40+ million transfer fee.
Cody especially you would also get a leader who will organise the back 3 around him

Regardless of what they're worth, it would probably cost 40m to get Konsa or Cody out of their clubs.... Dunk not far off it too... (See Ake & White)

All three have 3 or more years left on their deals.

Yes 100% Leicester have gone to pieces since his injury.
PS Evans cost Leicester 3-4 million 3 seasons ago good value for money would you not agree

The point is a 34 yr old with mounting injury issues isn't much use to us....

In 2018 that was a superb piece of business; but physically he's fading now after a LOT of miles on the clock....

Last edited:
Pay it. Any new signing would need to same settling in period whereas he has it out the way. Talent there is obvious, he just has a couple of fundamental weaknesses, but ones that I do think are very improvable with coaching and experience.

We need to be adding a CB next to him, and if we don't take up the buy offer that would be 2 new defenders who would have to settle in. Pay the fee, and then put up for a LCB who is aerially dominant and compliments Romero well.

He would flourish with a fit Woodgate next to him (basically he needs a unit who is aerially dominant, but not overly cumbersome).

It's why Torres at Villareal is probably a poor fit, he looked weak on crosses and in core physicality when I kept an eye at the Euros (post speculation). Good to get one just like you say (Vertonghen like in prem suitability).

Back
Top Bottom