Rudiger claims he heard monkey chants

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

It is 11 years since Uriah Rennie took charge of his last Premier League game before retiring and there has been no BAME referee in England's top flight since. Not one of 72 referees on the 2018-19 National List — from where all League referees are drawn — was black or Asian

Is this right?

It is 11 years since Uriah Rennie took charge of his last Premier League game before retiring and there has been no BAME referee in England's top flight since. Not one of 72 referees on the 2018-19 National List — from where all League referees are drawn — was black or Asian

Is this right?
Perhaps no black or Asian people have applied or been up to standard?
But should we just put some in to keep the numbers up like sky with the women presenting the football etc?

Is this right?

Not quite sure what this has to do with Rudiger, unless he applied to be a ref but got turned away because of his colour?
Let me explain how it works. The premier league and Fa put adverts in local papers asking for people to come along for an interview to be a premier league ref..
Everyone turns up and waits to be interviewed, a bit like the X factor auditions, they employ two burly doormen with skinheads and doc martins laced up to their knees, to stand at the front of the queue.
They only allow white people in for the interview and throw the black and Asian people down the road by the scruff of the neck.
Didn’t you know that?

Or maybe, just maybe, not many black/Asian people have shown any inclination to become a ref, or those that have, didn’t quite make the grade.? Just a thought.

Last edited:
Not quite sure what this has to do with Rudiger, unless he applied to be a ref but got turned away because of his colour?
Let me explain how it works. The premier league and Fa put adverts in local papers asking for people to come along for an interview to be a premier league ref..
Everyone turns up and waits to be interviewed, a bit like the X factor auditions, they employ two burly doormen with skinheads and doc martins laced up to their knees, to stand at the front of the queue.
They only allow white people in for the interview and throw the black and Asian people down the road by the scruff of the neck.
Didn’t you know that?

Or maybe, just maybe, not many black/Asian people have shown any inclination to become a ref, or those that have, didn’t quite make the grade.? Just a thought.
Na mate definitely racism.....eh Sol buddy....
Soon after 10.30am on a cool and cloudy day in Hertfordshire the man with 73 England caps to his name, and who was once regarded as one of the finest defenders in the world, starts putting the cones out. It is a striking sight, but for Sol Campbell this is the new norm of life as an aspiring coach and, if all goes well, top-level manager.

Campbell is in the formative stages of gaining Uefa's A licence – the second-highest qualification available after the pro licence – which he is pursuing via a course with the Football Association of Wales that involves the former centre-back sharing a classroom with 23 others, including his old Woolwichteam-mate Patrick Vieira, and carrying out practical sessions in his own time.

Given the success he enjoyed in the red half of north London it is not a surprise Campbell has chosen to hone his coaching skills at Woolwich's London Colney training base, where he, Vieira and the other Invincibles of 2003-04 grew as individuals and as a team.

Campbell would later speak in bitter and rather sad tones about how he ultimately feels he will have to begin life as a coach overseas as "there are no opportunities" for him in this country due to a combination of racial prejudice and a relationship with the English Football Association that he describes as "broken". But on an autumnal morning, he is at first a picture of focused contentment.

The 39-year-old has coached a mix of the club's Under-18 and Under-21 players more than 30 times already and was back on Monday for another session. Out on pitch four of the Premier League leaders' vast 11-pitch complex, Campbell is abuzz with intensity and concentration as he puts the cones out, plants mannequins into the turf and, quite literally, moves the goalposts as a group of 21 youngsters, which includes the 18-year-old defender Isaac Hayden and the Spain youth international Héctor Bellerín – both of whom featured in Woolwich's Capital One Cup victory over West Bromwich Albion on Wednesday – warm up under the watch of the fitness coach, Mark Armitage.

"Coaching is definitely different," says Campbell, who retired from playing in May 2012 following spells with Tottenham, Portsmouth, Notts County, Newcastle and, most gloriously, Woolwich with whom he won two Premier League titles and three FA Cups. "I've got the knowledge but it's about communicating that to others in a manner they can understand. There's an art to that and the more you practise, the better you get."

With Armitage having completed his "speed work" with the group, Campbell takes charge at 10.50am, spreading the boys across a section of one half of the pitch, where the manikins have been placed, and instructing them to pass four balls among themselves in rotation. "Sharper lads, sharper," he shouts, before demanding they "move their feet". Shortly after, Campbell adjusts the routine so that the players now have to pass the ball with a single touch around the manikins.

"The manikins were placed in positions to encourage the lads to play passes from different angles, which was meant to get them looking wide and playing wide," Campbell later says. "That was what the whole session was about; building possession and getting the ball out wide. As a player I was taught the importance of working four or five passes within your team and then stretching the play. That's something I believe in strongly as a coach."

Campbell speaks of his love for "tricky wingers", which catches the attention coming from a man who built his reputation on being a formidable defender. "I've always felt wingers, more than any type of player, can change a game," he says. "I saw that first-hand at Woolwich where Freddie Ljungberg and Robert Pires did a fantastic job for the team in wide areas, overlapping, putting crosses in. They were crucial to our success. If you also look at Barcelona; they might not play with traditional wingers but they want their full-backs to get up and down and stretch the play. It's a key part of football."

The emphasis on possession and width is even more defined in the second routine Campbell puts on, at 11.05am. The boys are split into two teams, one in blue bibs, the other in white, and again using a section of one half of the pitch their task is to string a minimum of 10 passes together before chipping the ball to a team-mate located in one of the "end zones" at either side of the designated area. With so many players using such a small part of the pitch the ensuing contest is unsurprisingly frantic, yet also fascinating, requiring those involved to think quickly, pass quickly and, most importantly, seek space on the fringes.
our game is rotten with it.........Mm?

There’s only one female official in the premier league too and she’s probably the best linesman/woman in the league.

I actually think they should get more female officials officiating the PL. There was an incident in the game this season I saw (nothing was made of it obviously) when Firmino went to shout in the assistant refs face but at the last second realised it was Massey and stopped himself. Imagine how much more respect the officials would get if some were the opposite sex?

There’s only one female official in the premier league too and she’s probably the best linesman/woman in the league.

I actually think they should get more female officials officiating the PL. There was an incident in the game this season I saw (nothing was made of it obviously) when Firmino went to shout in the assistant refs face but at the last second realised it was Massey and stopped himself. Imagine how much more respect the officials would get if some were the opposite sex?
Agree with that.
I think it's a problem with the rules (if that's the right word)
You never see it in rugby, or if you do it's 10 minutes in the bin.

He probably just blinded her with his teeth, that's why she got the decision wrong!

Is this right?
They are probably 'desperate' to bring in a decent Asian or black referee in the PL, but as long as they aren't there, we will be fine with the likes of Anthony Taylor.

The referee's skin colour is a non-issue for the vast majority of the fans, players & coaches.

Yes she’s very rarely wrong and has a nice booty

Look to the NHL It was only a few years ago they had a decent black guy. Did they shout and ball about it?
No. It's just like saying no white person wins the 100m or 200m in the olympics because of racism.

They are probably 'desperate' to bring in a decent Asian or black referee in the PL, but as long as they aren't there, we will be fine with the likes of Anthony Taylor.

The referee's skin colour is a non-issue for the vast majority of the fans, players & coaches.

Most of our referees are shite anyway

Can we not move this discussion elsewhere. I have no problem with those raising the issue but it perhaps deserves a thread of it's own. Many of us do not believe the Rudiger issue had anything to do with racism and has nothing to do with equality in Referees. This thread should be closed as there is unlikely to be any new information.

We have a female ref in the Vanarama league and is always respected and gets most things right. And she's a Yiddette!

We have a female ref in the Vanarama league and is always respected and gets most things right. And she's a Yiddette!

I’ve thought it’s the way forward for a while. No idea what the overall quality is but if you gave the best ones a few premier league games I bet they wouldn’t be any worse than the currently lot. Would be hard to be!

Back
Top Bottom