Ryan Mason

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

I'm not having a pop at you personal Sean.

This story has been spinning for fucking ages since he was a player and it's utter bollocks!

His Mum and Dad (Lisa & Glenn) are Chelsea supporters who live in Enfield. Ryan was born and bred (as the only child) in Enfield (going to Enfield Grammar School. I think(??) he later went to Cheshunt School in his mid-teens and I think(??) this was because his parents moved from Enfield to Cheshunt).

He's a Tottenham supporter and has been ever since he joined Spurs at 8yrs old (a time when most kids start supporting their Clubs). I can 100% back this up personally, take it or leave it.

Their family is a football-obsessed one and he would obviously go with his parents to watch Chelsea play, but then leaving a 6yr old at home alone is what most would call child neglect. I mean what else are they supposed to do?

Is it reasonable for an 8yr old to take himself to the ground of the team he supports all by himself (from Enfield to Tottenham)? Or isn't it realistic for a kid who is obsessed with football to actually enjoy being taken to a live football match? (I can relate to this a bit. I grew up a Spurs fan but my parents were basically anti-football, so the only way I got to watch a live game of football was to be taken by someone else, this turned out to be one of my best mates grandad who was a wealthy bloke and held about 10(??) ST's at Chelsea, so I would go almost every week with their entire family. I fucking loved it but I was still a Spurs supporter. I had another mate who's Dad was a Tottenham supporter and had an ST in East Upper and he would take me a few times a year, this was how I got to see my first Spurs game, albeit some 2yrs after going to watch my 1st game which was Chelsea by then I had seen probably 30(??) chav games).

I'm sure his mum and dad wrapped up their 6yr old on a cold winters day with a Chelsea bobble hat and scarf when he was 6yrs old, I do this to everyone I take to Spurs with me and this also includes mates in their 50's from the States, Italy, Denmark lol

Some people really do like to tarnish other people because they maybe don't like them when they played for the club, which is when all these rumours all started.

Here's another way it could be talked about: "Chelsea football supporters celebrate a Spurs goal as their son scores a belter". "Chelsea football supporters beaming with pride as their son becomes the youngest ever Premier League manager of all time".
My daughter is 5 next weekend. She is a "Chotnum" fan because I say so.
She goes to bed at 7pm because I say so.
She eats her veg because, you guessed it, I say so.
At some point she'll have a say in all these matters. Much as Mason probably did when he was a little older than 5.

Sit back and draw would be fairer. Newcastle x2, Palace, Wolves, Fulham.
The first Newcastle game you're revising. We thrashed them 1-0 for 95 minutes then got robbed by the ref. At no point were we ever sitting back or hanging on. Just very unfortunate not to add to the 1.
Beat Palace 4-1
Beat Fulham 2-1
Still have a chance to Beat Wolves, which I think we will as they're done now.
The standout not-win in your list is the Newcastle 2-2 away. That was the point where I absolutely couldn't defend Mourinho anymore. It was a fucking awful watch from start to finish against a terrible, terrible team.

Has anyone, including Man City got a 100% win rate against the bottom 10 this season though?

I'm not having a pop at you personal Sean.

This story has been spinning for fucking ages since he was a player and it's utter bollocks!

His Mum and Dad (Lisa & Glenn) are Chelsea supporters who live in Enfield. Ryan was born and bred (as the only child) in Enfield (going to Enfield Grammar School. I think(??) he later went to Cheshunt School in his mid-teens and I think(??) this was because his parents moved from Enfield to Cheshunt).

He's a Tottenham supporter and has been ever since he joined Spurs at 8yrs old (a time when most kids start supporting their Clubs). I can 100% back this up personally, take it or leave it.

Their family is a football-obsessed one and he would obviously go with his parents to watch Chelsea play, but then leaving a 6yr old at home alone is what most would call child neglect. I mean what else are they supposed to do?

Is it reasonable for an 8yr old to take himself to the ground of the team he supports all by himself (from Enfield to Tottenham)? Or isn't it realistic for a kid who is obsessed with football to actually enjoy being taken to a live football match? (I can relate to this a bit. I grew up a Spurs fan but my parents were basically anti-football, so the only way I got to watch a live game of football was to be taken by someone else, this turned out to be one of my best mates grandad who was a wealthy bloke and held about 10(??) ST's at Chelsea, so I would go almost every week with their entire family. I fucking loved it but I was still a Spurs supporter. I had another mate who's Dad was a Tottenham supporter and had an ST in East Upper and he would take me a few times a year, this was how I got to see my first Spurs game, albeit some 2yrs after going to watch my 1st game which was Chelsea by then I had seen probably 30(??) chav games).

I'm sure his mum and dad wrapped up their 6yr old on a cold winters day with a Chelsea bobble hat and scarf when he was 6yrs old, I do this to everyone I take to Spurs with me and this also includes mates in their 50's from the States, Italy, Denmark lol

Some people really do like to tarnish other people because they maybe don't like them when they played for the club, which is when all these rumours all started.

Here's another way it could be talked about: "Chelsea football supporters celebrate a Spurs goal as their son scores a belter". "Chelsea football supporters beaming with pride as their son becomes the youngest ever Premier League manager of all time".
I take you word for it,and glad to hear i was given wrong info.
To be fair,the fella said he was an ex st over there and never mentioned the word supporter.Maybe he knew and was on the wind up.

The first Newcastle game you're revising. We thrashed them 1-0 for 95 minutes then got robbed by the ref. At no point were we ever sitting back or hanging on. Just very unfortunate not to add to the 1.
Beat Palace 4-1
Beat Fulham 2-1
Still have a chance to Beat Wolves, which I think we will as they're done now.
The standout not-win in your list is the Newcastle 2-2 away. That was the point where I absolutely couldn't defend Mourinho anymore. It was a fucking awful watch from start to finish against a terrible, terrible team.

Has anyone, including Man City got a 100% win rate against the bottom 10 this season though?
Probably not but as we've been so abject against top half teams we needed to dispatch more of the rubbish than others. We've done ok-ish at that but winning even 2 of those games we sat back in against poor opposition and i think we'd be looking at top 4.

A little bit more on Mason's football supporting background, this time from his own mouth..................

"I’d fallen in love with the club at seven years old.

My family has split loyalties. My grandad was brought up in Battersea, so him and my dad are both Chelsea fans – both were season-ticket holders.

But I joined Spurs at seven, and I’d get to go to every single game at White Hart Lane. We used to train in this little court by the ground, and afterwards, we’d go up to this tearoom for some biscuits. On the way there, I’d sneak into the stadium to have a look around. That was when it hit me just how massive a club it was.

It didn’t make my dad a Tottenham fan before I was playing for them, but he could sense my love for it and how much I wanted to play at White Hart Lane".

Full Interview here: Coming Back - The Coaches' Voice

But still, the rumours will persist because the earth is flat, that man never went to the moon and COVID19 is a hoax.

:harrysmile:

Last edited:
He hasn't done much to show he is for us but he also hasn't done much to show he's out of his depth

Losing 1-0 against the most expensive team of all time with one of the greatest coaches isnt out of his depth

Playing Winks because he can hold his position unlike Ndombele, who is clearly out of this world compared to Winks in all aspects other than holding his position and tracking runners

Far from out of his depth, but that doesn't mean I want him to take over

Whoever is in charge I will fully back to the very end as I have done for every manager
Sorry but imv he was out of his depth

What does history tell us re: prioritisation? It doesn’t matter who we get as manager under the current rabble, 5% chance of that working out
Yes we need a competent DoF and a competent coach but really we need Levy and ENIC to fuck off

In fact, looking at todays table, we have only lost 1 match against the teams from 10th down. We've taken 44 points of our current 56 against those teams.

But yeah apparently we sit back and lose.
Exactly. We dont have that much problems at all beating the bottom 10 teams. Theres a reason why sheffieldutd have less than 20 points still. They are rubbish. We need players/manager who will get us the win vs the top 10 teams. People dont like to admit that for some reason.

Sorry but imv he was out of his depth
I agree. He probably was. But at this stage of his career, that’s nothing to be ashamed of.

I hope he learns a few lessons from that game, applies some of them to the remainder of this season, then gets a managerial job at a lower club and earns his stripes.

If that all works out for him, then I’d happily have him back a few years down the line.

Probably not but as we've been so abject against top half teams we needed to dispatch more of the rubbish than others. We've done ok-ish at that but winning even 2 of those games we sat back in against poor opposition and i think we'd be looking at top 4.

I think it's a little arrogant to suggest we simply chose to sit back and wait for the 1-0 win.
It's disingenuous to the opposition for a start. Wolves were pretty damn good in the 1-1 at their place. Palace, having weathered a huge storm for an hour then played well in the 1-1

Rather than suggesting the problem was tactics applied by Mourinho, I'd rather condemn the section and substitutions. He repeatedly picked shit defenders and kept changing the players around in it. He relied on wank like Winks and/or Sissoko when we needed to shore up the middle. You could argue that's all he had at his disposal.
And he clearly had an issue using some our attackers, Bale, Vinicus, Bergwijn seem to get very little game time.

I think he probably cut his nose off to spite his face is what I'm saying.

I agree. He probably was. But at this stage of his career, that’s nothing to be ashamed of.

I hope he learns a few lessons from that game, applies some of them to the remainder of this season, then gets a managerial job at a lower club and earns his stripes.

If that all works out for him, then I’d happily have him back a few years down the line.
Not Ryan’s fault arguably but even I was incredulous when he brought Sissoko on!

Back
Top Bottom