Safe-standing at White Hart Lane

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

not true.
the fences were still there.

The fences would have been irrelevant. Safe standing is essentially no different to what we have right now, you just don't get a seat. There's also a rail between each row of spectators preventing surges forward like the ones that crushed the fans in 1989.

Liberal Democrats in election pledge to bring back standing at Premier League grounds - Liverpool Echo

My god how are some people so fucking stupid?!?

She apparently has no problem with the potential loss of life to lower league supporters then? Her only argument is that there has been no accident since safe standing was introduced. Well guess what? There wasn't for for almost 100 years on unsafe standing too. That's barely even relevant too as safe standing has a few fairly significant changes to it, the main one being SAFE.

I need to calm down I know but this level of stupidity annoys me. At least I hope it's stupidity because if not she's even using the disaster for newspaper time or some political motive. Both of which are much worse and would really make her scum of the earth.

Liberal Democrats in election pledge to bring back standing at Premier League grounds - Liverpool Echo

My god how are some people so fucking stupid?!?

She apparently has no problem with the potential loss of life to lower league supporters then? Her only argument is that there has been no accident since safe standing was introduced. Well guess what? There wasn't for for almost 100 years on unsafe standing too. That's barely even relevant too as safe standing has a few fairly significant changes to it, the main one being SAFE.

I need to calm down I know but this level of stupidity annoys me. At least I hope it's stupidity because if not she's even using the disaster for newspaper time or some political motive. Both of which are much worse and would really make her scum of the earth.

I honestly wish they would just stop giving that self serving idiot air time.

We all know that it's a really sore subject, but clearly the entire culture is different than it was in '89. Safe standing just sounds like a good, practical idea.

The fences would have been irrelevant. Safe standing is essentially no different to what we have right now, you just don't get a seat. There's also a rail between each row of spectators preventing surges forward like the ones that crushed the fans in 1989.

no they wouldn't have been . you put a 1,000 people in a space designed for 250 with no exit you will have crushing rail seat or no rail seat

The occasional 6ft long metal bar you got on the old terraces is a world away from rail seating. Have you not ever seen it before?

unless you were there for wolves you should know better .

Posted this is general football section, but it applies here:

Barry Davies and the old graphics for the Palace - West Ham game are brilliant on Match of the Day but the stand out from that game is undoubtedly Palace's support. All through the game - standing, singing, banging the drum and supporting their club.

Beautiful banners and ticker tape at the start as well. Surely Levy should see that having this kind of atmosphere only makes your "investment" more attractive from the outside? It's just superb from Palace, I can only dream of that at White Hart Lane.

Am chatting to a chav mate of mine atm and he's saying "fair enough support the team but don't stand up, it's so inconsiderate" and unfortunately attitudes like this is why atmosphere is more or less dead at most Premier League grounds.

Barry Davies and the old graphics for the Palace - West Ham game are brilliant on Match of the Day but the stand out from that game is undoubtedly Palace's support. All through the game - standing, singing, banging the drum and supporting their club.

Beautiful banners and ticker tape at the start as well. Surely Levy should see that having this kind of atmosphere only makes your "investment" more attractive from the outside? It's just superb from Palace, I can only dream of that at White Hart Lane.

Am chatting to a chav mate of mine atm and he's saying "fair enough support the team but don't stand up, it's so inconsiderate" and unfortunately attitudes like this is why atmosphere is more or less dead at most Premier League grounds.

It's fairly simple why we and most teams won't get support like that. Because the groups of young local lads can't afford to get tickets.

Palaces fan movement started with a tiny cut price section for local lads and ballooned into a whole stand once the ball got rolling. If it cost most of them £50-60 a week I doubt it would have caught on as much

we'll have to disagree. as you're clearly missing the point

So are you mate. And the only point I've seen you make is that only people who had been to Wolves in 81 would understand. The safe standing proposals are about as far from the state of football crowds in 1981 as an iPod mini from a Sony Walkman.

It's been well covered why and how Hillsborough was allowed to happen, it had nothing to do with the fact people were standing up. But it had everything to do with stadium and crowd management, all of which are addressed with the safe standing scheme. If there had been rail seats, and crowd management as set out in the new proposals Hillsborough would not have happened.

,,,you put a 1,000 people in a space designed for 250 with no exit you will have crushing rail seat or no rail seat (my quote)

clearly you choose to read what you like.
I notice you've now shifted the goalposts to include crowd management. which you never said

1. What really gets me, is that the Hillsborough people who cry foul whenever standing is mentioned don't realise that had safe standing been in place, the disaster would not have happened...

2....But it had everything to do with stadium and crowd management, (your quotes)

Which is what i was getting at. I know it had nothing to do with standing I never said it did.

I wanted to buy and hang my own flag at Tottenham. Offered to meet the staff with the flag, check eye lines, fire safety etc.
Club said no. They are more interested in the advertising revenue. Wait until the pot at the end of the rainbow stadium gets built. No atmosphere at all then!

,,,you put a 1,000 people in a space designed for 250 with no exit you will have crushing rail seat or no rail seat (my quote)

clearly you choose to read what you like.
I notice you've now shifted the goalposts to include crowd management. which you never said

1. What really gets me, is that the Hillsborough people who cry foul whenever standing is mentioned don't realise that had safe standing been in place, the disaster would not have happened...

2....But it had everything to do with stadium and crowd management, (your quotes)

Which is what i was getting at. I know it had nothing to do with standing I never said it did.

Safe standing is far more than a metal rail. I haven't moved any goal posts, as you have quoted me above. I said had safe standing been in place it wouldn't have happened. I didn't say "Had rail seating been in place" But don't worry, that doesn't fit your argument.

I don't know enough about Hillsborough to pass judgment, but wasn't part of the problem the fact that unmanned gates were targeted by fans without tickets, causing a huge overcrowding & in consequence the trampling & crushing of fans who had tickets & were legitimately in the stadium?
So you read The Sun?

The rest of the thread gives a general sense as to why your perception is wrong, but if you're too busy to read the Taylor Report, then you can watch the pretty decent film ESPN produced this summer about it.

Safe standing is far more than a metal rail. I haven't moved any goal posts, as you have quoted me above. I said had safe standing been in place it wouldn't have happened. I didn't say "Had rail seating been in place" But don't worry, that doesn't fit your argument.

you have moved the goal posts, you brought up crowd management.

I said had safe standing been in place it wouldn't have happened.

it would have done because too many people were put in too small a space. that's actually what happened

read the Taylor Report.

and im not worried sweetheart x

Back
Top Bottom