Saido Berahino

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Will he be wearing a Spurs shirt this season?

• Yes

Votes: 109 54.0%
  • No

Votes: 93 46.0%

• Total voters
I always have to laugh when people talk about my post count....I can bet on it that all of them have one or all of:
Facebook
Instagram
Twitter
Podcast this
App that

I have none. Not even a smart phone...so yes, I might need to "get out the house" more....but at least when Im out the house, Im actually living in the real world..

I have all.

And snapchat.

:dude:

We'l bid £15m, West Brom will reject it and say they want £30m.

Berahino will have his head turned and as they window draws to a close, he'll put pressure on West Brom by stating he wants to leave.

Levy will then come back with an £18m "last offer", which West Brom will again reject.

Berahino will be furious at West Brom, tells them to let him go etc etc.

We'll bid £20m last minute, West Brom will deem it as a last chance to get a decent price for him (contract is up the end of next season?) and viola.

Done deal.

:pochohshit:

Kane's more than got the ability to play there, but when someone has a 31 goal season, he's gotta stay as a striker. Also, the you have the problem of moving Eriksen around and fitting in Chadli to it all.

Look, I know that all the players won't be available all the time so the perfect 11 argument isn't valid. I just think these 2 would work so well both up top side by side.

Would be nice to see some flexibility and different options for different games. Still think we are too predictable.

£15m is nowhere near enough. I have my concerns about his temperament off the field, but he's a young & very promising player. Citeh paid £49m for Sterling. Bin Dippers £32m for Benteke. Anything under £20m & I don't think WBA will even listen. & we will keep pissing about until someone slaps in a bid that is accepted & he's whipped from under our nose. If they do accept less than £20m & we get him, it will just prove why Levy is the chairman of THFC & why I will never be the chairman of anything.

£15m is nowhere near enough. I have my concerns about his temperament off the field, but he's a young & very promising player. Citeh paid £49m for Sterling. Bin Dippers £32m for Benteke. Anything under £20m & I don't think WBA will even listen. & we will keep pissing about until someone slaps in a bid that is accepted & he's whipped from under our nose. If they do accept less than £20m & we get him, it will just prove why Levy is the chairman of THFC & why I will never be the chairman of anything.

Agree don't understand why people are saying no more than £20 million. Young, proven prem, top talent in a needed position, we would sell him for £30-40 million min if he was ours. I can fully understands West Bron wanting the full £25 million, by today's market prices he is worth it. This is not 2005.

It would be nice to have a player with a little attitude. Sometimes we at Spurs, are all a little too nice.

Tottenham’s semi-logical pursuit of Saido Berahino

4517627.jpg

On Tuesday afternoon, Daniel Levy had an initial £15m offer rejected for the young forward. Jeremy Peace, the West Bromwich Albion chairman, then released a statement to clarify his position on Berahino and claim that, without being iron-clad, it was not on the club’s ‘agenda’ to sell the player.

• It wasn’t wholly convincing. Peace does have a habit of issuing oddly unnecessary communications but, in this instance, the decision to publicise Tottenham’s interest was very logical.

Peace may prefer to keep Berahino in the Midlands, but any realist would have to concede that such an outcome now seems unlikely. Every player has his price and the West Brom chairman’s probable objective is – quite correctly – to secure the highest possible fee for his club’s most valuable asset.

The press-release, then, had a purpose:

“Hear this, clubs who are interested in Saido Berahino – the auction has begun.”

Having already committed to a £15m offer, we can assume that Spurs are serious with their interest – whether they continue their pursuit or not is another matter, but the intent is clearly there.

Screen-shot-2015-08-20-at-11.28.17.png

Berahino completed 88% of his passes in the recent game against Watford

That will confuse their fanbase. Paul Mitchell, the club’s celebrated Head of Recruitment, was brought to White Hart Lane to provide value and to source talent from between the cracks – and yet here Daniel Levy is, less than a year later, sanctioning a move for a British player who is subject to the usual homegrown inflation.

The club have spent their Summer cost-cutting and trimming squad inefficiencies and the response to that is now… to shop in a market in which value is impossible to obtain?

It’s strange. It doesn’t tally with the club’s intended direction – and it especially won’t if Levy goes beyond £15m to sign Berahino.

That isn’t to say that the player is over-hyped. Berahino is very capable and in addition to his developing composure in front of goal, he has the sort of quick-footed technique that will always be of use in the attacking third. While the majority of his West Bromwich Albion career has been spent playing a central role, he is capable of playing as a wide-forward and, in fact, was used in that position by Gareth Southgate during England U21’s recent European Championship qualifying campaign.

4605711.jpg

Berahino had 53 shots from inside he area in the Premier League last season

He missed the final tournament through injury, but he showed on the road to the Czech Republic that he can be useful from the left-hand side and he can be a menace in the build-up phases as well as in the penalty-box. He may not be the most creative player, but his dynamic, intricate play is more than useful between the touchline and the edge of the box.

Spurs probably intend for him to compete with both Nacer Chadli and Harry Kane – or, at least, for Berahino’s arrival to give Mauricio Pochettino the option of dropping Kane into a slightly deeper role and periodically resting or moving Christian Eriksen.

image: http://www.squawka.com/news/wp-content/uploads/2015/08/Screen-shot-2015-08-20-at-11.24.56.png

Screen-shot-2015-08-20-at-11.24.56.png

Kane had a better shooting accuracy than Berahino last season

That’s the logic behind this move. The issue about the size of his fee may be valid, but this is a footballing age in which squad dexterity is very valuable and Berahino is a facilitating player, an attacking component who would help to diversify Pochettino’s options.

The current Tottenham squad lacks players who are genuinely comfortable in goal-scoring positions and so, either as an orthodox centre-forward or an out-to-in wide-player, Berahino is a partial solution to that problem.

So yes, the theory is sound enough, but it’s hard to shake the belief that Tottenham aren’t reverting back to their old ways. Berahino may be a good player and may also fill a gap in Pochettino’s squad, but he is neither a particularly rare talent nor an especially creative response to that issue.

That’s the anomaly. All of Levy’s infrastructural reshuffling over the past twelve months has been with the objective of equipping his club to game the transfer-market and yet now, in late August and with less than two weeks of transfer-window left, he finds himself once again at its mercy.

If Saido Berahino does move to White Hart Lane, the circumstances which bring him there shouldn’t be allowed to dictate the crowd’s response to him, but it will be another example of just how opaque an organisation Tottenham can be.

Read more at http://www.squawka.com/news/tottenh...-of-saido-berahino/444304#IqV0KvEM38gbbsEI.99
What a load of bollocks. What if in all their infinite wisdom, paul mitchell and the rest of them have come to the conclusion berahino is the perfect partner for kane and the exact player we need.

Agreed, if they lots of checks on lots of players and he still comes out top then why donwe have to get some below the radar signingit have to be a below the radar signing like Wimmer.
Exactly. If Berahino is whats wanted, he might be worth us paying 25 mill. A proven prem player thats played with half our squad for england u21's, versatile, young. Why wouldn't we want to sign him?

Exactly. If Berahino is whats wanted, he might be worth us paying 25 mill. A proven prem player thats played with half our squad for england u21's, versatile, young. Why wouldn't we want to sign him?

I have watched Berahino on and off for two seasons, he's class, proper class IMO. He can cover Kane but also play wide forward like Chadli and Lamela, offers real pace and as you say has a proven record. In today's market £25 million is a pretty reasonable rate, let's be honest we would sell for far more.

I don't really blame WBA for asking for £30

They know he isn't worth that, but they don't want to sell him so they have put a crazy price on him knowing we don't want to pay it.

Seems eminently sensible to me.

I wanted Berahino, but I'm impressed by theirs and everyone's stance, wish more clubs started doing that
I'm surprised there aren't more takers at 30 quid... no wonder he feels undervalued!!

From the way Pulis has spoken, and Saido's reaction maybe promises were broken? In which case can you blame him?

Other players have done similar things. Berbatov going on strike and not training properly. Modric coming out and saying he wants to go to chavs. Bale not turning up for training. Seems like Saido is a bigger target cos he's what everyone hates, a rich young black male. Yeah I said it. Not saying that's why everyone who dislikes his conduct does dislike him, but it explains the different treatment.

People always say players who kick up a fuss will do it again, but how many times has that ever happened? And so what? If he becomes a world class striker, at least we would have got good use out of him and good money.
I think it's wrong to say people are treating him differently because he is "what everyone hates" & then qualifying it with what you did. It's got fuck all to do with the colour of his skin. It has everything to do with the fact that modern footballers spit out their dummies & then make themselves targets for abuse by posing for pictures in ostentatious displays of wealth. SB should be working on a strategy of damage limitation. If he signed for us, then refused to play when Real come along, before tweeting a selfie sat on a private jet giving it the thumbs up, this forum would go up in flames. And quite rightly. It doesn't matter who the player is or his ethnic background. It stinks. the bloke has tweeted that he won't play for Peace again in a rage & his current tweet shows how these antics have been rewarded. What sort of example does that set? Whether it's Berbatov, Modric, Bale, Sterling or Berahino it doesn't matter. They are highly paid professional footballers & some of them behave like utter cunts. Frankly, I'm glad Peace dug his heels in because I reckon him & Berahino deserve each other.

Back
Top Bottom