Scott Houghton with an afro - Marcus Edwards

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

He's played more minutes and games of mens football at this age than Harry Winks did at the same age.

By almost double.

This will be a good experience for him. Hopefully he joins us on our pre-season journey and we go from there. Clean slates and all that.

A fifth the wages, usually fit, potential to improve. Compared to an overpaid sicknote. No brainier to me but each to his own.
I do understand frustration when a player is injured, but when a player is as good as Lamela can be it shouldn’t really be frustration beyond disappointment, disappointment that a really talented player is not on the pitch more. Bashing him up on his injury record is bit OTT I feel.

obviously don’t know exactly how/ why you feel as you do, so I am genuinely interested on what basis lamela overpaid and why is Edwards 1/5 of his wage value and thus the better option.

Considering stats and facts one player is an Argentine international, whom made 33 first team appearances last season including being part of the Ajax victory.

Whereas the other was on loan at Excelsior and played 14 games, but I think he did well ? Don’t know myself.

However, between the two it’s hard to understand a bias towards Edwards, so whats behind the confidence that he will offer more than Lamela ?

Last edited:
I do understand frustration when a player is injured, but when a player is as good as Lamela can be it shouldn’t really be frustration beyond disappointment, disappointment that a really talented player is not on the pitch more. Bashing him up on his injury record is bit OTT I feel.

obviously don’t know exactly how/ why you feel as you do, so I am genuinely interested on what basis lamela overpaid and why is Edwards 1/5 of his wage value and thus the better option.

Considering stats and facts one player is an Argentine international, whom made 33 first team appearances last season including being part of the Ajax victory.

Whereas the other was on loan at Excelsior and played 14 games, but I think he did well ? Don’t know myself.

However, between the two it’s hard to understand a bias towards Edwards, so whats begins the confidence that he will offer more than Lamela ?

By playing a part in the victory over Ajax are you referring to the moment he tried to nutmeg a player in the last moments of the game, gave it away, and if the player had looked up he'd have seen an unmarked Hakim Ziyech at the far post? Thankfully he didn't and gave it away himself.

There are better players we can buy than both, but out of the two I'd prefer to watch Edwards. Lamela has had his time now. 3 PL assists over the last 3 seasons says it all.

By playing a part in the victory over Ajax are you referring to the moment he tried to nutmeg a player in the last moments of the game, gave it away, and if the player had looked up he'd have seen an unmarked Hakim Ziyech at the far post? Thankfully he didn't and gave it away himself.

There are better players we can buy than both, but out of the two I'd prefer to watch Edwards. Lamela has had his time now. 3 PL assists over the last 3 seasons says it all.

16 minutes on the pitch and nearly a mistake creating a chance is an opportunity to find a bus to throw him under ? Could be argued his run to the left of Llorente influences the Ajax players in a way that’s positive for us ? It’s very subjective.

In the Ajax game quite a few of our players actually made mistakes that resulted in chances and goals ( Jan / Tripps as two examples ) but the perception towards Jan in particular is different, why ?

Adopting a similar argument for Tripps and Jan results in seeing KWP and CCV in the team next year ? Both cheaper as well, but they are not going to be the answer next year anymore than Edwards would be.

3 premier league assists over the last 3 seasons is more telling than 75 games, that’s somewhat debatable, we could counter by asking many assists has Edwards in the same period and in how many matches (albeit all at the lower levels - and of course he is younger )

I think Edwards came on as a sub in a game I was at once. It was the only time I saw him play. I can’t say he is not good enough as a result of that game, he might be mustard, whereas I have seen enough of Lamela to know he is a positive member of our squad and I honestly don’t believe we will have a better “squad” option than Lamela within the ranks.

Maybe ( hopefully ) I am wrong.

Base Soccer is his agency isn't it?

Nothing like a talent video to get their clients profile out there for a new club.

I'd like to see him get a year extension, and play some preason games. Then either stay at the club and fight for game time (we're a club that plays up to 60 games thes days so opportunities will come.) Or else get a loan in either the Championship (Fulham?), Ligue 1 or the Bundersliga perhaps.

He's got great talent and has improved this year but should be scoring more goals. Too often he'll look for an easy pass when he should be driving with intent towards goal. I don't see enough belief in his shooting either.

Too soon to give up him

I'd like to see him get a year extension, and play some preason games. Then either stay at the club and fight for game time (we're a club that plays up to 60 games thes days so opportunities will come.) Or else get a loan in either the Championship (Fulham?), Ligue 1 or the Bundersliga perhaps.

He's got great talent and has improved this year but should be scoring more goals. Too often he'll look for an easy pass when he should be driving with intent towards goal. I don't see enough belief in his shooting either.

Too soon to give up him
I'd be fine with him going back to Holland if to a more attacking team. Not necessarily Ajax, Feyenoord or PSV but either of AZ, Utrecht, Vittesse or such. Heck, IF we could secure a loan to one of the Old Firm that would also do him well.

Back
Top Bottom