Scott Houghton with an afro - Marcus Edwards

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

We are going to be very careful about developing Edwards, I'm sure of that. It won't matter in which squad he will be training, there are very detailed player profiles for everybody in the club.

The decline in coordination and balance is not even the major problem in these cases. If youth players start to play regularily for their first team (in the top leagues) and haven't yet reached their 'maximum height' (a bit complicated to explain for me in English), their bones and cartilage parts don't evolve how they should do. The body often can't adapt quickly enough to the new conditions (very intensive training, especially under Pochettino) and becomes very prone to injuries (fatal ones, most frequently around the knees). The most 'famous' example of this is Sebastian Deisler - he became a starter at Monchengladbach with 18, made the breakthrough at Hertha a year later and earned himself a move to Bayern with 22. A seriously talented player, there should be videos about him (although in German). He got 36 caps for Germany, but had retired at the age of just 27. Regular knee injuries.

I don't expect to see Edwards anytime soon in the first team, he still needs some time, minimum a year before he could maybe get his league debut. I think Poch has already said that we will have to be patient with him. Rightly so.

Deisler was a sad story really. He had more issues that his dodgy knees though.

I see lots of posts about Edwards not being his 'maximum height', but what if he's fully matured and is just a short arse.

:freund::lennon:

Onomah must be nailed on to start that game. Not sure how many of the kids Poch would throw on at one go.
Maybe we'll see something like this?

Lopez
Trippier - Carter-Vickers - Wimmer - Davies
Wanyama - Winks
Edwards - Onomah - N'Koudou
Janssen
Which you'd think should be capable of beating Gillingham.

Maybe we'll see something like this?

Lopez
Trippier - Carter-Vickers - Wimmer - Davies
Wanyama - Winks
Edwards - Onomah - N'Koudou
Janssen
Which you'd think should be capable of beating Gillingham.
Gillingham don't seem to be in great shape, but they are a team, and that combination has never set foot on a football pitch together.
I reckon Vorm, Toby, Dembele, Sissoko and Son will start.
Dembele probably needs game time, Vorm is in great form and Lloris will be back in the first team by then.

We are going to be very careful about developing Edwards, I'm sure of that. It won't matter in which squad he will be training, there are very detailed player profiles for everybody in the club.

The decline in coordination and balance is not even the major problem in these cases. If youth players start to play regularily for their first team (in the top leagues) and haven't yet reached their 'maximum height' (a bit complicated to explain for me in English), their bones and cartilage parts don't evolve how they should do. The body often can't adapt quickly enough to the new conditions (very intensive training, especially under Pochettino) and becomes very prone to injuries (fatal ones, most frequently around the knees). The most 'famous' example of this is Sebastian Deisler - he became a starter at Monchengladbach with 18, made the breakthrough at Hertha a year later and earned himself a move to Bayern with 22. A seriously talented player, there should be videos about him (although in German). He got 36 caps for Germany, but had retired at the age of just 27. Regular knee injuries.

I don't expect to see Edwards anytime soon in the first team, he still needs some time, minimum a year before he could maybe get his league debut. I think Poch has already said that we will have to be patient with him. Rightly so.
Seb Deisler! Now there's a name.

Used to love him. A very sad story. Was destined to be one of the World's best.

So, I was at Hotspur Way to see the U19's play in CL youth thing. First time I have seen him play in the flesh so to speak.

Fuck me, WHAT. A. PLAYER!

He offers nothing defensively, which might be a big black mark for Poch, time will tell, but give him the ball, in any position on the pitch (preferably in oppo half) and he will dribble past and through players as if they are training cones! Final ball/shot needs work but he is a player. He and their No. 9 (Cardona) were best players on the pitch.

Fuck me, WHAT. A. PLAYER!

He offers nothing defensively, which might be a big black mark for Poch, time will tell, but give him the ball, in any position on the pitch (preferably in oppo half) and he will dribble past and through players as if they are training cones! Final ball/shot needs work but he is a player. He and their No. 9 (Cardona) were best players on the pitch.

So he dribbles the ball a bit... offers nothing defensively, and has no end product...
didn't we get rid of a couple of those recently?

:townhmm::lennon:

Nah, i'm joking, he's got his own Twitter feed, i'm sure... so that'll make sure he's the next Messi no doubt, whilst winning an online Poll putting him on the front of the FIFA18 game in a few years...

So he dribbles the ball a bit... offers nothing defensively, and has no end product...
didn't we get rid of a couple of those recently?

:townhmm::lennon:

Nah, i'm joking, he's got his own Twitter feed, i'm sure... so that'll make sure he's the next Messi no doubt, whilst winning an online Poll putting him on the front of the FIFA18 game in a few years...

Bit harsh on Lennon. He was pretty damn good defensively. At the end of his Spurs tenure that was pretty much the only thing he was good at.

Bit harsh on Lennon. He was pretty damn good defensively. At the end of his Spurs tenure that was pretty much the only thing he was good at.

To be fair... his and Townsend were the only SMILEYS I could find...
Where's one of Jose Doninguez when you need it?

Scored again for the U23s this evening.

Him starting today though pretty much rules him out of Wednesday doesn't it?

A bit disappointed we won't be seeing him tomorrow. Appears to have taken to under-23 stuff like a duck to water. At 17, that's mighty impressive.

Gillingham would have been a great opportunity to see him against grown pros.

Harrison is out? Must be injured.

Janssen is literally our only fit first team striker. Tomorrow is a risk in itself.

Back
Top Bottom