Season Ticket take up

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

I don't think it is. Doesn't matter how you spread the payments out, it's still money that people haven't got at the moment.
but these same people are going to shitloads of games, and paying more over the same period, if you can't afford to go to games, and haven't gone for a period of time, the likelihood of being offered a season ticket is fairly minimal tbh.

Then why aren't they taking up the tickets?
that's kinda why this thread has been made :bae:

Cost is a factor, we're in a recession, many people can't afford to go to games let alone commit to a season ticket, a good mate of mine gave his up. I'm not saying that cost is a myth in any shape or form.

I think what Carlito was after, was other reasons and to discuss why.

After Charlton, I was in brief conversations with [redacted] about taking over his ex-gf's membership. I was so amped about Spurs, etc., that it seemed like a no-brainer. Less than a year later, I wonder what on earth I must have been on about, since that was straight crazy talk. But my change of heart may be largely related to the fact that I'm skint after some Christmas (liquor) shopping.

Norwegian_Yid Norwegian_Yid made a good point: bronze memberships yield more than just LPs and a place in the ST waiting list (though I'm not sure what that is?), so it makes sense for foreigners to get the membership, even if an ST would be largely impossible to manage because of travel costs, etc.

Similarly, if I'm offered an ST and don't take it up, do I go to the back of the queue for the next year? If not, I can easily see why people might defer taking it up. Either they're waiting for their money situation to improve, or a move to London, or they're just into tantric membership.

If I had gotten that membership and a subsequent offer for an ST, the idea would have been to rent out the ST, considering the chances of my moving to the UK remain very, very remote. But now I wonder if it might not be worth it to simply defer the ST, and use the membership to get a jump on the lilies / general public 4-5 matches a year at WHL, especially since renting the ST would not be a money-making proposition.

Makes my blood boil when I hear people on ST waiting list A) Not taking it up B) Using it as in "investment". I have been on the waiting list for SEVEN fucking years, I have 7,000 people in front of me!! At this rate (pressuming that new stadium is not built) I will NEVER get one before I die of old age. I was told by the club last year that for the last 3 seasons only an average 7 people per year come off the list, that's to say 7 people per year are offered a new ST!!!!!
I am a deeply cynical bastard and I am VERY concerned about the plans for the new stadium. The last statement about the new stadium was made on 22nd Dec last year!! To me this is hardly a football club hell bent on building a new stadium. From my cynical eyes all I am seeing right now is a new Sainsburys and a fake ST waiting list. I can't rememebr the actual dates but the NDP was first announced back in 2006/7 I think, with a completion date of 2011/12. Me thinks the biggest confidence trick in football history is being played out, create an illusion of a club with massive fan base and a stadium to accomodate is a realality......Can ENIC pull it off, sell a club to gullable billionaire???? Please let us build a new 45,000 stadium and fill it with genuine, passionate Spurs fans, that has worked for Juventus arguably a "bigger" more successful football club than Tottenham.

I'm roughly 11000th on the ST waiting list, been on it for four years. When I joined it I couldn't afford an ST and to be honest I can't now but with it being years from me getting one my logic then (and now) is that I've got enough time to get myself in a position where I CAN afford it; if I'm offered one and can't afford it then I can turn it down.

It's fucking outrageous that membership costs per year are more expensive than buying a match ticket. i've done my research and we have the highest membership costs in the country. I e-mailed the FSF about and they got me through to complain to Spurs about it and they said that they feel 'the membership represents value for money in what you are given'. Rubbish. I'd rather have no Spurs TV access and pay a tenner less.

I'd take up a season ticket if I could afford one, but I can't. I'm not going to get offered one for years anyway so no harm with being on the waiting list until then.

What percentage of the new ground will be ST?
If the ground is 56k, I'd hazard a guess that we'll have somewhere around 35k-43k season ticket holders. I think the club have to find a balance between ensuring that the supporter base doesn't get stale, and to ensure that they get a large amount of upfront payment at the beginning of the season to fund transfers etc.

Makes my blood boil when I hear people on ST waiting list A) Not taking it up B) Using it as in "investment". I have been on the waiting list for SEVEN fucking years, I have 7,000 people in front of me!! At this rate (pressuming that new stadium is not built) I will NEVER get one before I die of old age. I was told by the club last year that for the last 3 seasons only an average 7 people per year come off the list, that's to say 7 people per year are offered a new ST!!!!!
I am a deeply cynical bastard and I am VERY concerned about the plans for the new stadium. The last statement about the new stadium was made on 22nd Dec last year!! To me this is hardly a football club hell bent on building a new stadium. From my cynical eyes all I am seeing right now is a new Sainsburys and a fake ST waiting list. I can't rememebr the actual dates but the NDP was first announced back in 2006/7 I think, with a completion date of 2011/12. Me thinks the biggest confidence trick in football history is being played out, create an illusion of a club with massive fan base and a stadium to accomodate is a realality......Can ENIC pull it off, sell a club to gullable billionaire???? Please let us build a new 45,000 stadium and fill it with genuine, passionate Spurs fans, that has worked for Juventus arguably a "bigger" more successful football club than Tottenham.
I'm roughly 11000th on the ST waiting list, been on it for four years. When I joined it I couldn't afford an ST and to be honest I can't now but with it being years from me getting one my logic then (and now) is that I've got enough time to get myself in a position where I CAN afford it; if I'm offered one and can't afford it then I can turn it down.

Seven years? Surely not?

I asked for a season ticket 7 years ago. Got one six months later, but i got one just in time

The reason no STs ever come up for grabs is that fans have them but, for whatever reason no longer attend games do not give them up but merely farm them out to mates. I know several people that always have one or more mates ST seats available. Some of these people are now actually living abroad & are lucky to attend 1-2 games a season.
Very simple solution. Put the holders photo on the cards! If the ST holder has farmed the card out (which is categorically against the T&Cs) then they lose it. Simple. They should, in theory, be using ticket exchange.
Failing that (& this is admittedly tricky logistically) - do a one-off spot check of the names on the cards against a form of official ID on an unannounced match day (ie, THFC have warned people it will happen - just not when!). Again, i know fellas that have used STs in the names of females & the turnstile operators dont bat an eyelid.
Or if they put a certain number of their tickets back on ticket exchange over a nominated period of time they could be asked/made to reconsider?
If the people that are forking out cash every year to renew their STs suddenly realised they were at risk of losing the ST with no chance of getting their cash back it would make most have second thoughts.

The reason no STs ever come up for grabs is that fans have them but, for whatever reason no longer attend games do not give them up but merely farm them out to mates. I know several people that always have one or more mates ST seats available. Some of these people are now actually living abroad & are lucky to attend 1-2 games a season.
Very simple solution. Put the holders photo on the cards! If the ST holder has farmed the card out (which is categorically against the T&Cs) then they lose it. Simple. They should, in theory, be using ticket exchange.
Failing that (& this is admittedly tricky logistically) - do a one-off spot check of the names on the cards against a form of official ID on an unannounced match day (ie, THFC have warned people it will happen - just not when!). Again, i know fellas that have used STs in the names of females & the turnstile operators dont bat an eyelid.
Or if they put a certain number of their tickets back on ticket exchange over a nominated period of time they could be asked/made to reconsider?
If the people that are forking out cash every year to renew their STs suddenly realised they were at risk of losing the ST with no chance of getting their cash back it would make most have second thoughts.

I do farm my ticket out for the odd game so I'm guilty of this I suppose. Just a lot easier than doing ticket exchange. But I still attend most games. People who have moved abroad and can only get to the odd game really should give up the ticket officially. However, at some point it actually seems to become a more sentimental decision. They dont NEED the ST anymore but probably just don't want to let go of that connection to the club.

I live abroad and I got a season ticket that I rent out to mates whenever I can't go.

There are two reasons why I do this, and the club's policy is the main reason why I (and so many others) choose this option rather than give our season tickets up.

1. I had more than 1200 loyalty points(650 now after they removed loads from all season tickets in the summer). If I give up my season ticket and become a member I've got 0 points, and I'm behind everyone in the queue for tickets(even those who have only attended one game in their lifetime).

2. If I give the ticket to a mate, I get the exact amount of money that this certain fixture is worth. If I sell my ticket on the ticket exchange, Spurs take something like 25% of the money. This is just not right. There has been periods of my life where I have used more than 50% of my disposable income on following Spurs. Why should I feel that they should have some of my money if I can't make it to a game?

I do understand why it is done. I have benefited from it myself on occasion. But if Spurs are going to sell Bronze memberships backed by the promise of one day being able to buy an ST - it should actually be more than just a pipe dream.

2. If I give the ticket to a mate, I get the exact amount of money that this certain fixture is worth. If I sell my ticket on the ticket exchange, Spurs take something like 25% of the money.

That’s the main reason the ticket exhange isn't used by many. I've never used it personally, but I was once told that through the exchange you got the money back straight away. Now it is taken off the following years ticket. If that’s true, it would be another reason why people sell tickets to mates and not give them back to the club.

Back
Top Bottom