Serge Aurier

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

OffTheBench OffTheBench didn't like me posting this.

DIoXZz0XoAAnJjW.jpg

hexopmc.png

Hes been solid tbh after a run of games. His end product is hit or miss but there are far more players than him underperforming
He obviously subscribes to the Wayne Gretzky school of the more crosses you make, the higher chance that one finds a teammate.

Which is fair, I do as well and Harry broke through by shooting as soon as he got the ball during his breakout years (his shots to goals ratio those years must have been horrid).

In modern sports tho there is such a focus on stats. Numbers upon numbers.

He obviously subscribes to the Wayne Gretzky school of the more crosses you make, the higher chance that one finds a teammate.

Which is fair, I do as well and Harry broke through by shooting as soon as he got the ball during his breakout years (his shots to goals ratio those years must have been horrid).

In modern sports tho there is such a focus on stats. Numbers upon numbers.
I fucking hate crosses in general as they are so low percentage (they are vital to provide variety to attacks and keep the oppo guessing) but he can fucking cross the ball!!! His delivery tends to be a ball with pace and a very flat trajectory, they are hard(er) to defend against and if an attacker can get on the end of one it's about making contact, all that's required is a touch towards the goal, let the pace of the ball do all the work.

I agree about the use of stats in the game today, they are never delivered with any context. So here is some context: He delivers approx 50% fewer crosses per game than Tripps did by comparison, with the number of assists he has already that's 4 times better conversion rate than Tripps who was given the nickname "The Bury Beckham" on account of his crossing ability!!

EDIT: Forgot to add, that almost HALF of Tripp's assists were NOT actually from crosses, making his crossing stats (by comparison to Aurier's) absolutely fucking woeful given the above context!!

Last edited:
Congrats to Serge! His 4th CAF Team of the Year selection in the past 5 years.

IMHO, he's clearly been one of our best players since Mourinho's arrival.

Ten different people will look at the same thing and see ten different things, but the stat merchants have corroborated a positive assessment (Aurier highest rated Spurs' player in 4 of the last 5 matches. He was 2nd highest rated Spurs' player -- behind Kane -- in the other.)

Congrats to Serge! His 4th CAF Team of the Year selection in the past 5 years.

IMHO, he's clearly been one of our best players since Mourinho's arrival.

Ten different people will look at the same thing and see ten different things, but the stat merchants have corroborated a positive assessment (Aurier highest rated Spurs' player in 4 of the last 5 matches. He was 2nd highest rated Spurs' player -- behind Kane -- in the other.)
Aargh!
You're right but if we sold him tomorrow I would be delighted. 🤪

Back
Top Bottom