Serge Aurier

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Again all true, I don't blame Serge for the goal, there was still a lot to do before they scored. I was talking in general terms about maybe better game management when needed.

In that image there is a case of
A) It being a foul for a pull on Serge
or
B) A simple pass to Dele
I like Aurier, by the way. Some mistakes are punished, Some are not. Lots of our boys made mistakes in the game that went unpunished.

I have re-watched this passage of play many times and here is what I think; from the moment Aurier positioned himself between Djenepo and the ball, there was sufficient time to play a pass. There appears to be a small degree of contact as Aurier attempts to shield the ball, but no obvious pull by Djenepo. It looks as though Aurier is unaware of any options to pass, and in fact attempts to dribble past Djenepo (if I am correct in thinking this, it is lunacy on the part of Aurier). He takes a very heavy touch infield and lunges after it, ending up on his bum. As he is lunging, Hojbjerg pounces on the loose ball.

I like Aurier, by the way. Some mistakes are punished, Some are not. Lots of our boys made mistakes in the game that went unpunished.

I have re-watched this passage of play many times and here is what I think; from the moment Aurier positioned himself between Djenepo and the ball, there was sufficient time to play a pass. There appears to be a small degree of contact as Aurier attempts to shield the ball, but no obvious pull by Djenepo. It looks as though Aurier is unaware of any options to pass, and in fact attempts to dribble past Djenepo (if I am correct in thinking this, it is lunacy on the part of Aurier). He takes a very heavy touch infield and lunges after it, ending up on his bum. As he is lunging, Hojbjerg pounces on the loose ball.
True true. For example the one where Toby let Ings have a free header from 3 yards. We got lucky they didnt score. But that is more of an obvious chance to give away than the Aurier fall because Winks and Toby can still try to cut out the cross. Cant blame much on Winks because he has to turn and chase , Toby can see all this happening but ends up doing nothing at all.

Article from The Athletic.com

Serge Aurier is useless. Of course he is, we can all see that. The guy can’t defend, can’t cross. He’s a complete waste of space.

I mean, let’s start with his tackling — I’d probably have more chance of winning the ball off a Premier League winger. And Tottenham Hotspur’s new system under Jose Mourinho means he barely has to do any defending anyway. He basically plays as a winger himself.

What’s that? Only one Premier League player who’s featured for 1,000 minutes this season has more successful tackles per game than Aurier’s 2.65?

OK, so he wins a lot of tackles, fine. Making so many is probably why he gets booked all the time. Hmm. He’s actually only been cautioned three times this season. Six of his Spurs team-mates have more, including Eric Dier, Danny Rose and Christian Eriksen, who have all played significantly less football than he has.

Alright, maybe he’s not as bad as I thought defensively, but give him the ball and he’s like a bull in a china shop.

Huh? Of regular Premier League defenders (ones who have played at least 1,500 minutes this season), only three have created more chances per 90 minutes this season than his 1.33? And in the Tottenham squad, only three players with more than 800 minutes of league action have created more chances per 90 than him this season? Meaning he’s created chances more frequently than Dele Alli, Harry Kane and Tanguy Ndombele?

Oh, whatever… Maybe he got lucky with a few passes, but his crossing is a joke — everyone knows that. Look, I don’t care that his 0.94 successful crosses per game is the fourth-highest for a regular Premier League defender this season and is comfortably the best figure of any Spurs player (Son Heung-min is next best at 0.23).

Anyway, enough with these secondary, irrelevant stats. Give me something proper if you’re so desperate to defend him.

Well, Aurier has assisted seven goals in all competitions this season — the only Premier League defender who has set up more is Trent Alexander-Arnold (12). Of Tottenham players, only Son has posted more (eight) — a tally Aurier would also have if assists for own-goals by the opposition were included.

Ugh, fine. Maybe he’s not that bad. But you just know he’ll drop a clanger sooner or later. After all, how many errors has he made leading to goals this season? Um, that would be zero. (Thank you Opta for not classifying his slip against Southampton on Saturday as one of these).

OK, have I made my point? Yes, his Spurs career started badly with a series of errors, bad throw-ins and injuries. But he was very impressive in Champions League games against Real Madrid and Borussia Dortmund in particular and he has now hugely improved. On Saturday at Southampton for instance, he gave the ball away a fair bit but was Spurs’ second-best player for all four of tackles, interceptions, clearances and possession gained.

To reiterate: more chances created than Dele and Kane, as many tackles, crosses and assists as anyone and no errors leading to goals.

Surely it’s time to stop dwelling on the past and embrace the improvement?

He’s a more mature man these days, too. Since leaving Paris Saint-Germain in summer 2017, Aurier has calmed down considerably from a period when he attracted controversy for insulting team-mates and making homophobic comments in a video. That was shameful. Now though, he lives a quiet life in London, centred around his one-year-old daughter Nehcha. One prominent French journalist told The Athletic that Aurier is enjoying “a new dawn” this season.

As for his role in the dressing room, midfielder Oliver Skipp told The Athletic in November that Aurier is one of the best characters at the club. “Serge has always got energy, he’s one of the jokers,” Skipp said.

Aurier is very close with midfielder Moussa Sissoko, a former team-mate at Toulouse, and could be seen laughing and joking with another Spurs star who has Ligue 1 roots, Hugo Lloris, on Wednesday against Norwich City as the goalkeeper made his first appearance since an October elbow injury. Over the last two and a half years, he has become one of the most popular players inside the club.

The view at Paris Saint-Germain meanwhile was, according to one insider, broadly of a “kind, laid-back, easy-going friendly guy” who simply couldn’t help himself in terms of making stupid mistakes on and off the pitch.

True, his relationship with manager Mauricio Pochettino was certainly strained. By the end, Aurier was desperate to leave and thought he would be granted his wish last summer. He had tired of Pochettino’s demanding style and was keen to join AC Milan but the move was blocked. He’d actually thought about leaving soon after joining Spurs as he initially struggled to settle. Aurier lacked the drive and relentlessness associated with Pochettino prototype players. But come last year he was not the only one who could no longer cope with the manager’s exacting methods.

Under Mourinho, in a system that plays to his strengths, the 27-year-old Ivory Coast international has enjoyed the most consistent period of his career and feels more settled than he has ever done at the club. He has started every Premier League game since Mourinho took over and has rarely put a foot wrong.

Alright, alright, enough. Next you’re going to tell me Aurier has been Spurs’ best player this season.

Er, well, that’s not my view necessarily — but my colleague Jack Pitt-Brooke did make that claim in a recent episode of our The View From The Lane podcast.

Forget it. You guys just don’t understand. Surely we can agree that Tottenham need a new right-back?

Um, never mind.

(Photo: Tottenham Hotspur FC/Tottenham Hotspur FC via Getty Images)

His crossing has improved dramatically. I'm still horrified when he goes for a tackle, but, to me at least, he's been one of the players that until now can keep his head held up high with how he's performed.

Serge Aurier is useless. Of course he is, we can all see that. The guy can’t defend, can’t cross. He’s a complete waste of space.

I mean, let’s start with his tackling — I’d probably have more chance of winning the ball off a Premier League winger. And Tottenham Hotspur’s new system under Jose Mourinho means he barely has to do any defending anyway. He basically plays as a winger himself.

What’s that? Only one Premier League player who’s featured for 1,000 minutes this season has more successful tackles per game than Aurier’s 2.65?

OK, so he wins a lot of tackles, fine. Making so many is probably why he gets booked all the time. Hmm. He’s actually only been cautioned three times this season. Six of his Spurs team-mates have more, including Eric Dier, Danny Rose and Christian Eriksen, who have all played significantly less football than he has.

Alright, maybe he’s not as bad as I thought defensively, but give him the ball and he’s like a bull in a china shop.

Huh? Of regular Premier League defenders (ones who have played at least 1,500 minutes this season), only three have created more chances per 90 minutes this season than his 1.33? And in the Tottenham squad, only three players with more than 800 minutes of league action have created more chances per 90 than him this season? Meaning he’s created chances more frequently than Dele Alli, Harry Kane and Tanguy Ndombele?

Oh, whatever… Maybe he got lucky with a few passes, but his crossing is a joke — everyone knows that. Look, I don’t care that his 0.94 successful crosses per game is the fourth-highest for a regular Premier League defender this season and is comfortably the best figure of any Spurs player (Son Heung-min is next best at 0.23).

Anyway, enough with these secondary, irrelevant stats. Give me something proper if you’re so desperate to defend him.

Well, Aurier has assisted seven goals in all competitions this season — the only Premier League defender who has set up more is Trent Alexander-Arnold (12). Of Tottenham players, only Son has posted more (eight) — a tally Aurier would also have if assists for own-goals by the opposition were included.

Ugh, fine. Maybe he’s not that bad. But you just know he’ll drop a clanger sooner or later. After all, how many errors has he made leading to goals this season? Um, that would be zero. (Thank you Opta for not classifying his slip against Southampton on Saturday as one of these).

OK, have I made my point? Yes, his Spurs career started badly with a series of errors, bad throw-ins and injuries. But he was very impressive in Champions League games against Real Madrid and Borussia Dortmund in particular and he has now hugely improved. On Saturday at Southampton for instance, he gave the ball away a fair bit but was Spurs’ second-best player for all four of tackles, interceptions, clearances and possession gained.

To reiterate: more chances created than Dele and Kane, as many tackles, crosses and assists as anyone and no errors leading to goals.

He’s a more mature man these days, too. Since leaving Paris Saint-Germain in summer 2017, Aurier has calmed down considerably from a period when he attracted controversy for insulting team-mates and making homophobic comments in a video. That was shameful. Now though, he lives a quiet life in London, centred around his one-year-old daughter Nehcha. One prominent French journalist told The Athletic that Aurier is enjoying “a new dawn” this season.

As for his role in the dressing room, midfielder Oliver Skipp told The Athletic in November that Aurier is one of the best characters at the club. “Serge has always got energy, he’s one of the jokers,” Skipp said.

Aurier is very close with midfielder Moussa Sissoko, a former team-mate at Toulouse, and could be seen laughing and joking with another Spurs star who has Ligue 1 roots, Hugo Lloris, on Wednesday against Norwich City as the goalkeeper made his first appearance since an October elbow injury. Over the last two and a half years, he has become one of the most popular players inside the club.

The view at Paris Saint-Germain meanwhile was, according to one insider, broadly of a “kind, laid-back, easy-going friendly guy” who simply couldn’t help himself in terms of making stupid mistakes on and off the pitch.

True, his relationship with manager Mauricio Pochettino was certainly strained. By the end, Aurier was desperate to leave and thought he would be granted his wish last summer. He had tired of Pochettino’s demanding style and was keen to join AC Milan but the move was blocked. He’d actually thought about leaving soon after joining Spurs as he initially struggled to settle. Aurier lacked the drive and relentlessness associated with Pochettino prototype players. But come last year he was not the only one who could no longer cope with the manager’s exacting methods.

Under Mourinho, in a system that plays to his strengths, the 27-year-old Ivory Coast international has enjoyed the most consistent period of his career and feels more settled than he has ever done at the club. He has started every Premier League game since Mourinho took over and has rarely put a foot wrong.

Alright, alright, enough. Next you’re going to tell me Aurier has been Spurs’ best player this season.

Er, well, that’s not my view necessarily — but my colleague Jack Pitt-Brooke did make that claim in a recent episode of our The View From The Lane podcast.

Forget it. You guys just don’t understand. Surely we can agree that Tottenham need a new right-back?

Um, never mind.

:harrysmile:

Um, never mind.

He’s not good enough - we need better

Um, never mind.

Wow is that what an ounce of coke looks like through rose tinted glasses when you are already smacked off your tits?

Yes but is he an upgrade on Trippier?

Has improved in previous weeks but it's from a very low baseline.

We need better. KWP wasn't the answer. Any Academy prospects?

Aurier is far more talented than Trippier. Some people will disagree but selling Trippier for £20m and pretty much using that money + the Janssen sale to invest in a player like Sessegnon, one for the future is the right kind of thing for a club balancing its books constantly to do.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom