Serge Aurier

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

If you make a foul throw and the referee intervenes and gives the ball to the opposition due to you making a mistake.. as a professional, you would think he would make a mental note NOT to make the same mistake two more times in the same match.

And I do believe he made the mistake again later on in another match. It's easy just to blame the referees but the rules are the rules, and even an amateur should know them.

He should.

But so should referees.

I counted 4 foul throws in the Spurs/West Ham game this past weekend.

For me he is still ahead of Doherty, I think bale will benefit from having a physical monster behind him on the right because even with Aurier’s brain farts he’s still much more imposing than Doherty.

Right back is still looking like a problem area to me for the time being.

If you make a foul throw and the referee intervenes and gives the ball to the opposition due to you making a mistake.. as a professional, you would think he would make a mental note NOT to make the same mistake two more times in the same match.
:harrysmile:

9960D7495DDFF3202E

Not sure what this was about:

Posted on another forum I visit...

According to Africa Top Sports, a source dismissed speculations of hostility among the teammates. They confirmed that the video was shot before the match against Japan. Dié was reportedly "teasing" the captain. The source pointed out that the older player views the other teammates as his "younger brothers." The interaction was a playful gesture to uplift the spirit of the team.

Doesn't look very playful to me.

And what's that got to do with the 3 foul throws from another match? Showing one clip of him taking a throw quickly that resulted in a goal is all good, but that doesn't take away from what I was saying before.
Who actually gives a fuck about foul throws?! It's already been pointed out to you that they occur numerous times within EVERY game (I recon more than 50% of throws are foul), almost all of them aren't penalised, given that the vast majority of them are taken by each of the FB's on the teams, it's entirely logical that if every game had each occurrence penalised then you would see every week the same FB (or even all four of them within a game) get pinged repeatedly. (Belerin got pinged twice the other week).

But the main reason why I posted it was because you specifically said he was unprofessional and that he failed to learn. If he has failed to learn then why hasn't he committed another one? Or is it just those pesky officials not giving a shit about them only when it suits them?

I have never fully understood the negativity that Serge seems to attract.His athleticism and energy are absolutely outstanding and he consistently finds excellent positions and always shows for the ball.If his final ball could be improved he would be one hell of a player.
I accept that he is prone to the occasional defensive lapse but that is a criticism that can be levelled at many modern day full backs.I expect the signing of Matt Doherty will focus his mind still further and he will improve even more.COYS!!!

I have never fully understood the negativity that Serge seems to attract.His athleticism and energy are absolutely outstanding and he consistently finds excellent positions and always shows for the ball.If his final ball could be improved he would be one hell of a player.
I accept that he is prone to the occasional defensive lapse but that is a criticism that can be levelled at many modern day full backs.I expect the signing of Matt Doherty will focus his mind still further and he will improve even more.COYS!!!

I don't understand how any could say they don't understand the negativity that Aurier gets.

It is clear that he is terrible defensively, is terrible at crossing the ball and makes constant stupid errors multiple times a game.

You can debate how much those events happen, all the time is the right answer and you can try to incorrectly argue that he is not that bad but it is fairly obvious why people do not like him as a player.

Who actually gives a fuck about foul throws?! It's already been pointed out to you that they occur numerous times within EVERY game (I recon more than 50% of throws are foul), almost all of them aren't penalised, given that the vast majority of them are taken by each of the FB's on the teams, it's entirely logical that if every game had each occurrence penalised then you would see every week the same FB (or even all four of them within a game) get pinged repeatedly. (Belerin got pinged twice the other week).

But the main reason why I posted it was because you specifically said he was unprofessional and that he failed to learn. If he has failed to learn then why hasn't he committed another one? Or is it just those pesky officials not giving a shit about them only when it suits them?
I do, and I am sure the team and manager & coaches do as it's slightly embarrassing & frustrating to say the least. However the most important factor is it gives the ball away to the opposition, so in effect it's just as bad as losing the ball on the pitch.

Which is fair enough when the players are trying something that is difficult, but a foul throw is just so simple and I don't understand how a player can make a mistake like that on more than one occasion on the same match. Just because referees are inconsistent to applying the actual laws of the game, doesn't mean players should take any unnecessary risks.

I want Serge to do well, and he is am important player to us both on and off the pitch. Now that he has some competition I think this will do him some good. If he can get more consistent with his crossing, and not make as many errors at the back then he could be one of the leagues top right backs. I just hope that he really applies himself and works hard to improve his game, but I don't want to see him out of the club.

My earlier comments were just highlighting some of his flaws that I think he will never be able to overcome, and that is his costly mistakes that lead to turning over possession.. even when the action that he did to cause those could easily be avoided. It's just frustrating when we know his potential.

Last edited:
I do, and I am sure the team and manager & coaches do as it's slightly embarrassing & frustrating to say the least. However the most important factor is it gives the ball away to the opposition, so in effect it's just as bad as losing the ball on the pitch.

Which is fair enough when the players are trying something that is difficult, but a foul throw is just so simple and I don't understand how a player can make a mistake like that on more than one occasion on the same match. Just because referees are inconsistent to applying the actual laws of the game, doesn't mean players should take any unnecessary risks.

I want Serge to do well, and he is am important player to us both on and off the pitch. Now that he has some competition I think this will do him some good. If he can get more consistent with his crossing, and not make as many errors at the back then he could be one of the leagues top right backs. I just hope that he really applies himself and works hard to improve his game, but I don't want to see him out of the club.

My earlier comments were just highlighting some of his flaws that I think he will never be able to overcome, and that is his costly mistakes that lead to turning over possession.. even when the action that he did to cause those could easily be avoided. It's just frustrating when we know his potential.

Aurier is 27, almost 28, and has not mastered the art of not giving up possession easily, not conceding free kicks in dangerous places (fortunately he hasn't repeated his 3 penalties conceded through stupid sliding tackles in the penalty box) and other defensive brain farts which he appears to be able to do at any time. I can't see that changing at his age, so his team mates are probably permanently nervous (as am I) that he's going to repeat that, which will not help any of our defenders confidence playing with him.

IMO we would do better to get a more consistent RB who will not be as error prone asap. With Doherty in place we are much better placed to find another RB.

The other commercial issue is that Aurier's contract ends in June 2022, so we either need to extend or sell him quickly. I'm very keen not to extend and prolong our problem.

Aurier is 27, almost 28, and has not mastered the art of not giving up possession easily, not conceding free kicks in dangerous places (fortunately he hasn't repeated his 3 penalties conceded through stupid sliding tackles in the penalty box) and other defensive brain farts which he appears to be able to do at any time. I can't see that changing at his age, so his team mates are probably permanently nervous (as am I) that he's going to repeat that, which will not help any of our defenders confidence playing with him.

IMO we would do better to get a more consistent RB who will not be as error prone asap. With Doherty in place we are much better placed to find another RB.

The other commercial issue is that Aurier's contract ends in June 2022, so we either need to extend or sell him quickly. I'm very keen not to extend and prolong our problem.
But Doherty isn't as good as Aurier and is even older than him.

You've completly missed the point, they are committed EVERY game buy almost EVERY player that takes them. They ALL commit foul throws they just don't get pinged for doing it.

EVERY player knows how to take one, but when you can throw it with greater accuracy/distance buy not being in the laws knowing that the officials will not ping you for it, it's hardly surprising they all take foul throws. The issue isn't the taker, it's the officiating.

Even the clip I posted is a foul throw!!!

But Doherty isn't as good as Aurier and is even older than him.
Your opinion on Doherty, but not mine - Aurier's ability to have major brain farts on a regular basis is a big negative which undoes a lot of the positive points he has.

Aurier's contract expiring in June 2022 and he spent last 2 summers trying to leave. Why try to renew ? Bring in a younger player as back up.

Doherty was brought in as a PL experienced player (and at 28 not ideal, but was rated as 2nd best attacking RB in PL after TAA so absolutely needed) BECAUSE Aurier was trying to leave, which your remark clearly ignores.

Back
Top Bottom